Battery voltage ???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Elzer

I have a 2 volt rechargeable battery & want to reduce voltage to 1.5 v for glow lighter. I was told I could use a long heavy copper wire..but how long or what size? Could I use an adjustable rheostat for when a plug is flooded to clear out fuel then lower for regular use. When battery was new & factory charge it worked fine. I put a full charge on it & it's burning glow plug out before engine starts. Yes I know I can buy a power panel (but have had them) trying something different.. thnx

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Alan-a simple way to do this is with a voltage dropping diode that you can get at radio shack or some place similar. However, the diode will drop voltage .7v and I don't know if that would light a plug. It might be worth trying-diodes are cheap. 

I’ve used the 2V batteries for years...with a fresh charge you can just get the motor spinning with the starter before you put the glow clip to the plug and it should start right up just fine! After some use to take the peak off the charge you will be able to attach the glow clip to the plug before spinning the starter and the plug should be fine.

GQ

I used to use two wet nicad batteries in series when I flew airplanes in the 70's. Two wet nicads would give me over 2.4 volts. I found a large 0.8 rheostat and glued it on the side and adjusted to give an orange glow. The rheosat was a high power rheosat had a metal cast case and was about 2 in in dia. Had it for many years. Glowbee's used to use a 2 volt sealed lead acid battery with a rheosat on top with a meter. Was a pretty good solution for the F1 racer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back