Abusing the CD's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a big problem in FL a few years ago. It got so bad I think the cops where called to one race.

I my self had to get involved at one race corner judging on the stand and tell some one to leave the sight now.

It was all because it was not addressed soon enough. It needs to be nipped in the but right off the bat or it will not get better.

Do not turn a blind eye to it. Lay down the law now before it gets out of hand.

This is a hobby not a money making endeavor for any one racing.

Dam it man it is a TOY BOAT..................................................

I have attached a document that was drafted a few years ago when some racers decided to become overly animated at some races. We go over it before the race starts for every race that is held and a printed version is posted on the Driver's Stand. Copy it, modify it and hopefully use it if you desire. Or ignore and/or trash it if you prefer. It cannot stop all junk that can occur but it sets the tone for the race at the very start.

The lack of respect for the CD's, the host club and the other racers is the root cause of what we see at the races. It mirrors our decayed society we are living in now. And it makes it difficult to attract new racers into this hobby. With conduct we see at times who blames them from walking away.

Race Standards of Conduct.doc

Attachments

• Race Standards of Conduct.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
The detailed code of conduct at Drivers meeting is very important. Also the tone for the weekend has to be set within the first 5 heats. No bull$h#t. You can't get tough on Sunday, by then is too late. Lay down the law early and you'll have a better weekend. OMHO

The detailed code of conduct at Drivers meeting is very important. Also the tone for the weekend has to be set within the first 5 heats. No bull$h#t. You can't get tough on Sunday, by then is too late. Lay down the law early and you'll have a better weekend. OMHO
So true , I've seen it firsthand and it gets REALLY ugly . Immediate DQ and ejection from the site if it lingers into the pits .

I can relate. I remember when I started going to the races in 1989 things were much different than now. Back then, racers would actually DQ themselves for making a bad mistake, causing a crash or putting another boat out of the race. Now, they hope no one saw it and pitch a total fit if they get called on it. Saw a veteran racer DQ himself for being drunk one time. Funny but admirable at the same time.

I DQ'd someone for trying to overtake a boat by driving INSIDE the course on the straights, an infraction clearly illustrated in the rule book. Gave two warnings in the same heat and finally tossed him. After the heat he wants to fight.

Called a boat over at the start. His pit man turns around and tells me he was NOT over and he is NOT a lap down. End of heat, the boat is scored in 6th place (last). Driver and pit man have a melt down.

It is a problem that has been going on for a while now. Ray is right, lay down the law with the first offence of the event.

At the race Sam is talking about its 2 guys the same ones every time we go there. Every site has someone who needs a stern talking to

At the race Sam is talking about its 2 guys the same ones every time we go there. Every site has someone who needs a stern talking to
If that is the case warn them as soon as they arrive and send their asses packing if they step out of line even once. As others have said the tone must be set early.

Amazing when you stand your ground and DQ someone for the day for outrageous behavior that the rest of the kids get the message. We had a second time offender that was fined $50, told not to even show up at the next race and had forfeited his points for second time offense. Once more and you are done. Problem solved.

I drive a city bus in Seattle and I get all the crazy nonsense I want at work. Sure as heck don't want it when I'm trying to have fun.

Gas or Nitro ?
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

It is ridiculous that it is necessary to have this conversation AGAIN. We have a rule in place to handle this. I know, no CD wants to send a contestant home, I get that. However, it seems to me that it is always the same guys that come unhinged for whatever reason(s). Enforce the rule! My guess is you'll only have to do it once, twice maybe if they're real hard headed!
default_tongue.png
When word gets out that guys are being sent home for this crap it will end. My .02 FWIW

F. Protests: Equipment and Racing Rules
1. Equipment protests are covered in section K, Technical Standards.
2. Racing Rules
a. In all sporting events, situations develop that require judgment calls or decisions on the
part of contest officials and all such decisions made herein shall be
FINAL. There is no
protest of racing rules. (ONLY equipment may be protested.)
b. Continued verbal protests, harsh language and/or other abuse, either direct or indirect of
any contest officials shall be considered unsportsmanlike conduct and will be just cause
to bar that contestant or crewman from any further participation in that contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad it has to be this way Doug. But some just DO NOT like the enforcement of the rules, they piss & Moan, slander the CD's in question and cause certain events to suffer low numbers of entrants JM2C

Doug and Rick,

I'm all behind what you are saying but as we know it's not just Gas or Nitro or any thing else you have Buttheads that just don't play well with others?? They don't even have to be boaters to disrupt racing activities I seen a fellow locked in the Porta-Pot till the law showed up in 1989 was it?? Maybe '86?? I know CD's can not control this kind of stuff but it can happen and change the entire feeling of the event!!

To take it one step further, after last weekend's Columbia Cup, it doesn't mean the driver or crew in the big boats either. Here are two posts made by Steve David on the H1 website:

Regarding the incident between the U-1 Miss HomeStreet and the U-16 OH BOY! Oberto:

The U-16 had the lead and the right to establish the arc. Just after the apex the U-1 straightened its arc ever so slight, and intersected the closing arc of the U-16. The evidence was twofold. Had the 1 begun their arc and the 16 dove in, the 1 would have been forced into the infield. However, from a physics standpoint, by straightening at that buoy the impact of the 16 made no difference in the course of the 1.

Virtually identical to a call that went against me in Evansville n Dave Vilwock hit me and blew over. I was in lane one and he was in lane three with a small lead. He had an arc and between the buoy after the apex and the entry pin I unhooked and slid 1/2 a lane. That slight move intersected with his closing arc, we collided and he blew over.

This response will not satisfy the angered and I understand. The time it took to make the decision will anger many and I understand that as well.

The helicopter and onboard videos were all brought to the H1 trailer and reviewed by both teams and 4 officials. With the Helicopter landing one mile from the pits, time marched on. I regret the significant delay.

We strive to make the right decisions, even if and when unpopular. We strive to make the fastest decision possible with accuracy.

As for the personal attacks on me, go for it. Trying to lead anything involves risks of all type, including assaults against character.

As for the drivers, they drove with everything they had, they gave it their all.

Steve

August 1st, 2016

This was followed later in the day with this:

Friends, thank you for your responses and recommendations.

We have previously discussed allowing what the fan sees in the final to be the result they leave with. Then, we could review video, interview the drivers etc. in a more calm environment and if a call should me made, we can apply the appropriate penalty during the week.

Yesterday’s events may help expedite that vote within the Board of H1.

Allowing that time to consider all views may have led to a different penalty, or perhaps just monetary fines or point deductions or maybe the same decision. The pressure on our officials is intense.

I believe in our referees and our turn judges. I believe in their integrity and their sincere desire to do the right thing. I’ve been on the side if calls I didn’t agree with. I understand the outrage and while I don’t appreciate it, I understand the cheap shots against us well.

But I’m the leader, and if there is blame, let it be at me, not well intentioned and good hearted H1 volunteers.

I have spoken with Mark Mason of Homestreet Bank. I’ve rarely met a more respectful and thoughtful CEO.

He and his team are focused on winning, not laying blame. The same is true for Charlie Grooms, team manager of the U-1.

In summary, your recommendations for improvement will not be ignored.

And as some of you mentioned you did to me, so too have I deleted a few “friends” today, such is my weakness.
Steve

August 1st, 2016

Doug and Rick,

I'm all behind what you are saying but as we know it's not just Gas or Nitro or any thing else you have Buttheads that just don't play well with others?? They don't even have to be boaters to disrupt racing activities I seen a fellow locked in the Porta-Pot till the law showed up in 1989 was it?? Maybe '86?? I know CD's can not control this kind of stuff but it can happen and change the entire feeling of the event!!
That was at the '89 Internats in Slidell, LA.

What an idiot, high as a kite.
default_dry.png

Latest posts

Back