AA 45 vs NR 46 DD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOM DRIVER

In your opinion, which of the above motors best suits a 45 Rigger in power, rpm, quality, parts availability, and best motor for the money.

Thanks Tom Driver

The only fair comparison would be one person who has run both engines......and I don't think there are many that have.

I have run both engines. I like both. Currently I would say that stock out of the box the AA has better power than the Nova. It is easy to use, it's well built, parts are always availible and the price is right. In modified form it is very powerful, great RPM and will launch any prop you want. Personally I recommend the slant carb version for the riggers. I raced one last weekend in an SGX-2 and it was the fastest boat at the race. However I did take 2nd overall to my son Jason who was running the Nova in an SGX, but I didn't loose because of speed or any type of engine power. There was also a CMB VAC 45 powered Crapshooter that placed 3rd or 4th at this race, just so you know that there was competition.

The stock Nova runs good once the head has been modified. I think Glenn is doing that for little or no charge. Perhaps equal to the stock AA, as both will run right around 80 mph in the SGX with heat race props.

With the minor mods I have done thus far on the Nova it is looking very promising with great bottom and top end. I have yet to fully modify either of the two engines but both have great potential. Which one makes the best power at the end of the day probably has more to do with the modifer and the user more than the specific engines them selves.

I

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review Andy. Yes we have found the Novas make much better HP with the head volume reduced. I offer that for free and infact the new motors I will be getting soon wil have it done from the factory. I always keep all the spare parts availabe and always sell for as low as the exchange rate allows.

Glenn

[ I raced one last weekend in an SGX-2 and it was the fastest boat at the race. However I did take 2nd overall to my son Jason who was running the Nova in an SGX, but I didn't loose because of speed or any type of engine power. There was also a CMB VAC 45 powered Crapshooter that placed 3rd or 4th at this race, just so you know that there was competition.

Andy...First, good seeing you at the Fall Nats......we never have enough time to finish a good conversation. I can only assume that you lost to Jason because he just flat outdrove you! :)

Regards...............Rick

Thanks Andy, just the info I have been waiting for. What are the mods on the AA you are reffering to? I will be running 2 JAEs, one with AA and the other with a Modded VAC 45. Yes I do have a SGX 80 with a CMB 67 and 80, got love that boat. Thanks Tim

[ I raced one last weekend in an SGX-2 and it was the fastest boat at the race. However I did take 2nd overall to my son Jason who was running the Nova in an SGX, but I didn't loose because of speed or any type of engine power. There was also a CMB VAC 45 powered Crapshooter that placed 3rd or 4th at this race, just so you know that there was competition.

Andy...First, good seeing you at the Fall Nats......we never have enough time to finish a good conversation. I can only assume that you lost to Jason because he just flat outdrove you! :)

Hi Rick, Yes it was great talking to you at the Fall nats.

About that second place finish. Well it came down to the last heat and Jason was going to get the start on me... so maybe he would have won anyway!...but just before the start clock hit zero, my boat stopped. The culprit was a big peice of trash that clogged the needle valve. :ph34r:

Regards...............Rick
Thanks Andy, just the info I have been waiting for. What are the mods on the AA you are reffering to? I will be running 2 JAEs, one with AA and the other with a Modded VAC 45. Yes I do have a SGX 80 with a CMB 67 and 80, got love that boat. Thanks Tim
Tim, Case mods, Sleeve mods, drum mods, minor timing mods. Glad you like the SGX 80. I will be running one next year with a K-90 for power.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it is good that we have a choice in engines today. The wider the selection, the better for model boating. Competition among manufacturers and suppliers keeps the prices lower and the quality higher.

It was only a few years ago that manufacturers turned their attention from model boats to model cars. They made thousands of car engines and spent a lot less time developing engines for model boats. Now that the car demand has fallen, we are getting more and more boat engines available to us. Some manufacturers found themselves in a bind, then decided we weren't such a bad market after all.

To keep model boating active, we need a good selection of engines, a good supply of parts, and the most competitive prices. If we lose competition among the suppliers, model boating will lose.

As to what are the best engines, there are still lots of people winning races with silver head Piccos, MACs, Kalistratov, K&B, and other older engines. There are many good choices available for you.

Al Hobbs

I think that it is good that we have a choice in engines today. The wider the selection, the better for model boating. Competition among manufacturers and suppliers keeps the prices lower and the quality higher.

It was only a few years ago that manufacturers turned their attention from model boats to model cars. They made thousands of car engines and spent a lot less time developing engines for model boats. Now that the car demand has fallen, we are getting more and more boat engines available to us. Some manufacturers found themselves in a bind, then decided we weren't such a bad market after all.

To keep model boating active, we need a good selection of engines, a good supply of parts, and the most competitive prices. If we lose competition among the suppliers, model boating will lose.

As to what are the best engines, there are still lots of people winning races with silver head Piccos, MACs, Kalistratov, K&B, and other older engines. There are many good choices available for you.

Al Hobbs
"As to what are the best engines, there are still lots of people winning races with silver head Piccos, MACs, Kalistratov, K&B, and other older engines. There are many good choices available for you."

Yes! It's all in how the user turns the screws!

Al Hobbs Now that car demand has fallen ??

I have run both engines. I like both. Currently I would say that stock out of the box the AA has better power than the Nova. It is easy to use, it's well built, parts are always availible and the price is right. In modified form it is very powerful, great RPM and will launch any prop you want. Personally I recommend the slant carb version for the riggers. I raced one last weekend in an SGX-2 and it was the fastest boat at the race. However I did take 2nd overall to my son Jason who was running the Nova in an SGX, but I didn't loose because of speed or any type of engine power. There was also a CMB VAC 45 powered Crapshooter that placed 3rd or 4th at this race, just so you know that there was competition.

The stock Nova runs good once the head has been modified. I think Glenn is doing that for little or no charge. Perhaps equal to the stock AA, as both will run right around 80 mph in the SGX with heat race props.

With the minor mods I have done thus far on the Nova it is looking very promising with great bottom and top end. I have yet to fully modify either of the two engines but both have great potential. Which one makes the best power at the end of the day probably has more to do with the modifer and the user more than the specific engines them selves.

I
What would be the difference in the straight to slant carb versions? I'm going to put a straight carb in a sp40 and it will probably do double duty in a rigger..

Have to be aware that some riggers don't allow room for the straight intake. I went with the angled version in the SGX. Unreal power!!!

542553_487499964593816_590600478_n.jpg

Ask Hobbs, :D I took it out of the box, bolted it in the boat, ran it twice in tweak time and raced 4 heats.....box stock. Won 3, second in the other cause I jumped the start.

Ask Hobbs, :D I took it out of the box, bolted it in the boat, ran it twice in tweak time and raced 4 heats.....box stock. Won 3, second in the other cause I jumped the start.
i rob

what pipe and length do you like on stock AA ????

cheers rick

Latest posts

Back