AA 45 vs NR 46 DD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask Hobbs, :D I took it out of the box, bolted it in the boat, ran it twice in tweak time and raced 4 heats.....box stock. Won 3, second in the other cause I jumped the start.
i rob

what pipe and length do you like on stock AA ????

cheers rick
AB45 black pipe at 9.5" turning a 1457@ 4.3" done by Eric Canto at 2200' elevation. 65% nitro with 20% oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask Hobbs, :D I took it out of the box, bolted it in the boat, ran it twice in tweak time and raced 4 heats.....box stock. Won 3, second in the other cause I jumped the start.
i rob

cheers rick
AB45 black pipe at 9.5" turning a 1457@ 4.3" done by Eric Canto at 2200' elevation.
Would you mind posting a pic of the AB45 black pipe

Running an AA myself, in a sport-40 always looking for the little extra

i rob

cheers rick
AB45 black pipe at 9.5" turning a 1457@ 4.3" done by Eric Canto at 2200' elevation.

Rick,

The AB black pipe is a muffled vervsion of the current CMB 45 nitro pipe that many are using now. The muffler can looks like a small version of the black AB 67 muffled pipe.

I ran a macs products 10cc aero nitro pipe in a sport 40 with the AA a couple years ago......never tried the AB pipe in a sport 40.

253845_487500094593803_1537132397_n.jpg

561929_487499717927174_1536574915_n.jpg

i rob

cheers rick

Rick,

The AB black pipe is a muffled vervsion of the current CMB 45 nitro pipe that many are using now. The muffler can looks like a small version of the black AB 67 muffled pipe.
Gotcha,,, Thanks Andy.

As we discussed @ SOWEGA, my setup didn't like the CMB nitro pipe. Go Figure??

I ran the Macs 10cc aero pipe #1160 and aftermuffler in a mutt sport 40 with the AA45.

pipe.jpg

We run the AA 45 pipes and they work very good. They have good sound, rev a ton and are real forgiving on the needle . They work best for us at 9" here in Michigan. My dad runs the AB 45 pipe that screws together in his sport 40 and the boat hauls.

I have run both engines. The AA has better power than the Nova. I raced one last weekend in an SGX-2 and it was the fastest boat at the race. However I did take 2nd overall to my son Jason who was running the Nova in an SGX
hey Andy, can you post a few images of your .45 SGX2 and Jason's SGX. I'd like to see your set-up's.

Hi David,

The X-2 I ran belongs to Roger Hooks. We sold Jason's SGX to Glenn Quarles. There are many pics of the 45 SGX on the cmdracing site on the Eagle SGX page. Click the links on the "ready to paint" SGX. Those pics are how we lay out everything. If you are needing set up measurments and angles let me know.

Best unmuffled pipe I found for a .45 engine was the MACS 8.5cc aero pipe. This was MANY moons ago. Bet it would still work well with an internal stinger.................

Dick Tyndall

Hi David,

The X-2 I ran belongs to Roger Hooks. We sold Jason's SGX to Glenn Quarles. There are many pics of the 45 SGX on the cmdracing site on the Eagle SGX page. Click the links on the "ready to paint" SGX. Those pics are how we lay out everything. If you are needing set up measurments and angles let me know.
I check that out, thanks!

It's been over 6 months since any discussions on this thread and allot of fuel has been burned and races won since.

I am starting to build a Zippkit 45 JAE; I have the same quandary that this thread is about. What motor to start with, AA45, AA45 LoPro, NR 46, NR 46 DD, or CMB 45 VAC? I know service will be great from Al, Glenn, and Stu (thanks guys), so that is not an issue. It is good to have choices, but I have to make a choice and would like to hear some others experiences.

novarossi-tobe46.jpgtobe46dd_s.jpgCMB-45VAC.jpgAA45.jpgAA45low.jpg

I have an AA that I have not run yet,.. I have not run the NR45 either.. but all my NR21 are REALLY top quality motors.. I'm sure the 45 will be no different..

It's been over 6 months since any discussions on this thread and allot of fuel has been burned and races won since.

I am starting to build a Zippkit 45 JAE; I have the same quandary that this thread is about. What motor to start with, AA45, AA45 LoPro, NR 46, NR 46 DD, or CMB 45 VAC? I know service will be great from Al, Glenn, and Stu (thanks guys), so that is not an issue. It is good to have choices, but I have to make a choice and would like to hear some others experiences.

View attachment 48712View attachment 48713View attachment 48711View attachment 48710View attachment 48714
Matt

I do not think you can go wrong with any of them. I was faced with the same decision earlier this year at the time the 46DD was on sale for $440 and the 45VAC was $520

( I was not looking at the AA) so I went with the nova.

Second trip to the lake this weekend ( first trip had fuel issues) I was very pleased with it. I did not have any means to check the speed. but it was faster than the CMB 45 cam (purple head) motor it replaced.

I know some guys think it's worth it but man,.. $520 bones for a 45 boat motor,.. holly cow it's no surprise we have a small contingent! Thank god for the trusty NR 5P!!

I know some guys think it's worth it but man,.. $520 bones for a 45 boat motor,.. holly cow it's no surprise we have a small contingent! Thank god for the trusty NR 5P!!
2 NR 5P for the price of a 45, now there is an idea...I wonder how many gawkers you would get showing up to race D-Hydro with twin .21's...It would cost more in the end with props, pipes, tanks....but it would be cool.

Latest posts

Back