A90/A45 Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

Also I would move your post on rcboat.com to the for sale items as quick as you can. Marty Davis does not like people advertising on the technical forum, he will probably delete the post and boot you from rcboat if you dont.

Ian.

Mike,

I didn't actually mean your post on this forum, dont delete this!!! I said the rcboat.com forum!! I dont think Tom Moorehouse likes advertising on this section either, but he is not as strict about it as Marty Davis is on rcboat.com

Ian.

Ian

Yes they are. I am on to Boca about bearings and will be offering them as a replacement. The Standard bearings look very well made, But I have to agree I like plastic cages better.

Mike

Mike,

The worst engine destruction I have had was from a steel bearing cage failure. The steel cages fatigue due to the speed variation during each rev. It is only a question of when....

The first two A-90's I bought had polyamide cages from new. I dont know why they changed, but I never run the steel cage bearings. Too much risk.

Ian.

I have had a brand new steel cage bearing fail after 2 laps of running.

Destruction :-[ Not good at a major race meeting 3 hours from home.

I would change them B4 you sell the motor's Mike - will save you lot's of problems.... Piston /sleeve sets cost too much to risk on a cheapo bearing.

Tim.

Ian,

I talked to Paul F about the bearings and he said they would come out stock with the phenolic cage bearings. Still waiting for that... will check the next batch of engines. Some came with steel, some with phenolic...

I have a new batch of engines on the way... hope they are phenolics...

I have run the engines with the steel cage bearings without a problem, but I havent left them in there long enough to fail.. :)

EMS Racing

Craig,

Yes, I remember you mentioning it to me, which is why I was asking Mike to confirm that his engines (bought very recently I presume) still had steel cage bearings.

MBA has the WIB bearings at reasonable prices, but the front bearing is not cheap. You are taking a risk leaving them in.... :eek:

Mike,

I agree with Tim, I personally would not sell motors with steel cage retainers. If someone has a failure it makes you and the engines look bad....

Ian.

Craig,

Polyamide bearings will be fine and are priced better than Phenolic. Novarossi use them so they can't be too bad.

Just a side note - WD40 wrecks phenolic bearings.

Mike,

If you get Boca bearings or whatever, ask about sending them the bearings you take out for a discount on the plastic cage versions. They may be interested. Or try some of the other bearing suppliers.

Ian.

Back