A new nitro engine coming soon (some say I am mad for doing this!)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met Anatoly Karpov in 1998 at the World Championships in France. His work is the highest quality and he is currently making me piston/sleeves for the A/A 45.

Several boaters in the USA have gotten piston/sleeves from him and all report that his piston /sleeves are the best.
I have a brass chrome plated sleeve and a billet piston coming for my RCMK/Tiger King rear ex Nitro eng project.

What is the difference with this vs the existing Ströbel Profi 3.5 that they use in tether cars today?
Hi Niklas,

Well, they are completely different engines but as luck would have it, I have a Profi Strobel 3.5 on my desk right now so I have taken these pictures to illustrate some of the differences.

IMG_7233.jpg

The Profi Strobel is designed exclusively as a tether car engine so has some features that are unique to that use that make it almost unusable for anything else, I will list them

1, The crankshaft is designed to only use the supplied flywheel that is held on with a bolt rather than a nut

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

IMG_7236.jpg

2, The liner is made from beryllium copper. (We will most likely use a more conventional brass) also, the taper in the bore is more suited to high RPM use only, this will sacrifice part throttle opening performance. In addition, the Profi Strobel has very aggressive timing making it extremely powerful but not very user-friendly or very tractable. See the Profi Strobel liner compared to a typical Novarossi liner for comparison.

IMG_7238.jpg

IMG_7239.jpg

3, Zimmerman disk induction, The Profi Strobel is an extremely powerful engine and one of the main areas of improvement over other 3.5cc engines is that on the Profi Strobel and our engine, we are using Zimmerman disk induction. This enables us to have a better induction time area leading to improved performance. We have managed to make our Zimmerman induction even better than the Strobel. We have done this by having a larger internal bore to the crankcase and this means we can run with a larger induction disk, further improving the induction time area. See the picture below for a comparison of our engine vs the Strobel

IMG_7240.jpg

4, We are running a different rod/stroke ratio - Initially, we are running a shorter rod, the idea is that this helps reduce under piston crankcase volume but we will be testing a few different options before we settle on the final rod length.

Of course, there are loads of other differences, it's a clean-sheet design and we are trying to ensure that this engine will be extremely competitive for RC use, we will most likely have a different piston and liner option for tethered use.

As a more general update, we are making progress but it's taking a lot more time than I anticipated. It's hard to overemphasize the amount of engineering and work that goes into developing a competitive model engine. I have very high personal standards and I have decided that unless we can make this engine competitive we will not bring it to market. Of course, this is a balance with how expensive the end product is but I am working hard to ensure we get everything right

Regards

Ricky

Attachments

• IMG_7238.jpg
    IMG_7238.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 39
Ricky, we are all rooting for you!! We all realize what a daunting task you have.
You mentioned earlier on this post how you appreciate the quality and price that’s offered in today’s engines. I do believe we have taken this for granted over the past couple of decades. It has always been so easy to order an engine and have it show up at your door.
For most of us this is the only way we know to get an engine because most of us have no idea how to build one. For that reason I think an instructional video/ documentary on how to build a nitro marine engine from casting the case, making piston and sleeves, how rods and crank shafts are made and balanced, and how to make button heads. All the techniques, jigs and what mills, and laths you would need to build your own engine. I bet guys like you with your knowledge would do well selling this kind of video. There are a lot of people like me that would spend the money for this kind of content so if the day ever came where there were no companies to buy engines from we all may have to build our own.

if you go back 50 years or more this is what the hobbyists had to do. And who knows with one company left all it would take is another pandemic or any hiccup in the road and all would be lost. It’s Just a thought I had. I guess I’m asking you to do a video of the process your going through and make a video of how you are building your engine and what materials should be used. Of course no one would expect you to give away your design secrets or anything. Not wanting to copy your motor, but so we could design our own and make our own replacement parts for the stuff we have.

just think about it Ricky, a guy like you could do well selling content like that not to mention your success as a manufacturer of a great new nitro engine company.

and this type of video would save the hobby if we ended up with no nitro engines available anywhere.

the engines and everything came from the hobbyists and will stay alive by the hobbyists even if the things are made in our little work shops across the world.

we may have to resort to this if the commercial manufacturer can not make a go at supplying and supporting our hobby.

Maybe I’m off in left field, but if I had the knowledge I would be making and copy righting a video. I don’t think it would hurt you engine business if it comes to market, because let’s face it a lot of people don’t want to build engines and parts, they just want to buy them from you.
Anyway thanks for what you are trying to do and we all wish you the best in success.

thanks
Jim Schmidt

I wrote a series on nitro engine design and manufacture. I assumed basic manufacturing skills that once were taught in high schools. Take a look:

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2018/october/14/

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/april/24/

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/october/4

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2020/april/4/

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2020/October/4/

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2021/march/16/

Lohring Miller

Unless you have spent some time in a model engine manufacturing company facility it is hard to visualize all the production steps. For quantity manufacturing, the best example for me was the Picco factory. They had many, many high end CNC machines, each producing certain parts. That meant there were no changes part after part, hour after hour, day after day. Shops with only one CNC machine stop often to change tooling and restart again. This can mean the parts made in one batch may be a few thousandths of an inch off here and there. This is certainly the case when the manufacturer does not use high end CNC machines.

I watched Jim Allen, in his shop, assemble engines, one by one, checking every part as he fit each engine together. He checked each and every part to 0.0005 of an inch. He only used WIB bearings, regardless of better pricing from other suppliers. This care is not done in the larger shops as they do not have time and probably do not have the same desire and experience that Jim had.

If you want the volume and pricing of the larger shops, it is available. But, if you want the experience and care that Jim Allen had, you will pay a lot more per engine, IF you can find it.

When Jim and I were talking about making A/A 45 engines in his shop, the question was; Should we make a Maserati or a Ford? We all want a Maserati, but most people can only afford to buy a Ford. He wanted to make Maseratis. I wanted to make a solid that engine most people could afford. However, Jim is gone, so we will never know if we could have ever made a Maserati.

So, making model engines means facing many decisions. Where can it be made in sufficient quality and sufficient quantity? Will they agree to take the time away from their current projects to make these engines? Will they make the engines at a price I can afford the inventory? Finally, will they stand behind the product if there are failures?

Those are four big questions.

Latest posts

Back