A new nitro engine coming soon (some say I am mad for doing this!)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also, just want to reiterate a point I made in previous posts, I am not trying to question the quality of CMB products, In fact, I think their engines are first class. they are great. It was more me trying to understand why as I suspect they know something I do not.

cmb knows ALLOT as do nova ,picco etc
the thing with when u see obvious "mistakes" is end user cost projection.
no sense making an engine only 1000 people are going to buy . esp in this current economic climate. the longevity is in making an engine that sport boaters can use and "die hards" can mod. theres like 100 times more sport/bashing rc guys world wide that the few hundreds that race or are even members of clubs/national/international racing orgs.
food for thought

In the early 70's all the engines I ran (K&B) had brass caged bearings. All catastrophic failures resulted from failure of the cage. Maybe this was caused by the idea of trying to rotate a ball while holding it in your fist. According to bearing engineers I spoke to at the time the balls would begin to skid around 8-9 K RPM. In the late 70's Skip Horstman taught me how to "full compliment" the main bearing. Now you have loose balls chasing each other around and bumping each other instead of spinning in a fist. Once I perfected my skill in this area I ran them in all my engines. I never had a failure and seemingly could not wear them out. The advent of nylon (?) cages seems to have solved this problem to some extent. What do you guys think?

In the early 70's all the engines I ran (K&B) had brass caged bearings. All catastrophic failures resulted from failure of the cage. Maybe this was caused by the idea of trying to rotate a ball while holding it in your fist. According to bearing engineers I spoke to at the time the balls would begin to skid around 8-9 K RPM. In the late 70's Skip Horstman taught me how to "full compliment" the main bearing. Now you have loose balls chasing each other around and bumping each other instead of spinning in a fist. Once I perfected my skill in this area I ran them in all my engines. I never had a failure and seemingly could not wear them out. The advent of nylon (?) cages seems to have solved this problem to some extent. What do you guys think?
Very good explanation of how it works. The balls kind find there own when not caged up. Like the difference between tighty whitys and boxers ,free range balls.....LOL

Got any pictures of the molds?

Do they look anything like the MB40?

One piece crankcase motors are complicated, no?

full

I'm glad you are making headway. It seems like it takes forever to get things done and then to take the next step. Best wishes.

Hi Brad,

Sorry for the slow response, here in the UK the lockdowns are coming to an end and my main business is associated with the catering industry so we have been extremely busy trying to get our clients back up and running. I have not had as much time as I would like to update anyone on how this project is going but we are making progress.

I will come back with some pictures and a more thorough update soon but we have had some real issues with the quality of some of the prototype parts we have had made and this has slowed us down a bit.

If anyone knows of any company capable of manufacturing some prototype liners to our specs I would be very interested. We can get them made but not easily in small numbers for testing purposes

Latest posts

Back