Anyone interested in these tuned pipes??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky Neal

Hi all,

I posted some information about the tether hydro's that I run with some pictures and I got a few people asking about one of the tuned pipes that I use, see pictures below

The one below is for 3.5cc engines, they are all screw together and come with 3 different length manifolds in 2mm increments, they also come with 3 different stingers with different bores, 6.0-6.3 and 6.5mm.

They are generally regarded as the best possible pipes for tethered cars and tethered hydros. They are available for 3.5cc, 5cc and 10cc engines so I guess that anyone using one for an RC application would be interested in the 3.5cc variant only.

IMG_6247.jpg

IMG_6246.jpg

I am talking to the guy who makes them as I want some more and thought I would reach out and ask a few questions to see if this pipe is suitable for RC boats. If it is or can be with some adjustments I would be willing to commission him to manufacture some for use in RC boats for others to buy.

The main question - These are typically straight pipes with no angle to the manifold, if we were to get these made with an angled manifold (and a pressure nipple) what angles are typically used? (or are they preferred with a straight manifold?)

Materials - This one is stainless steel but Aluminium is also available, Stainless steel apparently works better but what would the preference be?

If you feel they are of no use I won't bother taking it any further

Regards

Ricky, I may be interested in one of the 3.5 pipes to play with.
What would the price be for the aluminum or the stainless steel versions?

Also ask your friend if he thinks this pipe will work equally as well with nitro as it does with FAI fuel (80% methanol and 20% castor) because of the different combustion temperatures.

Thanks,

Charles

Last edited:
Ricky,
Will you ask your friend if he is willing to make pipes per a drawing. Most of us have a couple pipes in mind we would like replicated. Like a Bouchie 45 and Macs 13cc and 15cc pipes. In fairness to the original designers of the respective pipes we would change dimensions slightly, perhaps jointly agreeing on designs before releasing them.

Ricky, I may be interested in one of the 3.5 pipes to play with.
What would the price be for the aluminum or the stainless steel versions?

Also ask your friend if he thinks this pipe will work equally as well with nitro as it does with FAI fuel (80% methanol and 20% castor) because of the different combustion temperatures.

Thanks,

Charles

Hi Charles,

The idea is to have the pipes made specifically for nitro based RC engines. I will talk to him about what alterations will be required.

price will depend on the required modifications from the original but these will not be the cheapest pipes. They are CNC manufactured from a solid bar of material so I expect these to be around £120-£150 each

would you need an angled manifold or are you OK with them straight?

Ricky,
Will you ask your friend if he is willing to make pipes per a drawing. Most of us have a couple pipes in mind we would like replicated. Like a Bouchie 45 and Macs 13cc and 15cc pipes. In fairness to the original designers of the respective pipes we would change dimensions slightly, perhaps jointly agreeing on designs before releasing them.

Hi, this is a possibility but these are CNC’ed from solid bar so minimum quantities will need to be around 20-40 pieces to make it viable

Guys, i need to know the required configuration before i can get more accurate prices.

Straight pipes will be easier and cheaper but if we require an angled manifold then i need to know what angles are required

regards

I believe that the typical angle we run our 3.5 hydros at is 10 degrees. Some run straight out.
We also typically run headers, so realistically if the pipes were made straight without a coupler flange to meet the motor they could be made straight with no angle. We would be able to run a stock header and seal the system with the normal header and coupler flange.

Hi Charles,

The idea is to have the pipes made specifically for nitro based RC engines. I will talk to him about what alterations will be required.

price will depend on the required modifications from the original but these will not be the cheapest pipes. They are CNC manufactured from a solid bar of material so I expect these to be around £120-£150 each

would you need an angled manifold or are you OK with them straight?

Straight manifold for me......
I am shaking my "Piggy Bank" to see if I have the correct amount.:)

Ricky, although the integral exhaust stub coupler is cool it may be very unique to specific motors which is often the case for tether cars and planes I guess. I believe most boaters would prefer a simple straight section with a flange like the Bouchie pipe shown below.

Attachments

• Bouchie_TunedPipe-.80_May2018_02.jpg
    Bouchie_TunedPipe-.80_May2018_02.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Back