A/A 45 Engines Have Arrived

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only pistons and sleeves I have received are in the engines. I have ordered 100 piston/sleeve assemblies but they have not yet been shipped.

I want to verify the fit with a MAC when I receive the piston/sleeve assemblies. I do have a MAC 45 to use, but I do not have the piston/sleeves. I can take a piston/sleeve out of one of the engines, but I don't have any to deliver yet.

The whole idea was to keep the people running MAC engines in a supply of parts so they don't have to buy new engines.

Italy is Italy. They seem to operate at their own timing. I am learning to be patient. I'm not there yet, but I am learning.

Al Hobbs

The only pistons and sleeves I have received are in the engines. I have ordered 100 piston/sleeve assemblies but they have not yet been shipped.

I want to verify the fit with a MAC when I receive the piston/sleeve assemblies. I do have a MAC 45 to use, but I do not have the piston/sleeves. I can take a piston/sleeve out of one of the engines, but I don't have any to deliver yet.

The whole idea was to keep the people running MAC engines in a supply of parts so they don't have to buy new engines.

Italy is Italy. They seem to operate at their own timing. I am learning to be patient. I'm not there yet, but I am learning.

Al Hobbs

Al,

I have used piston sleeve sets and one new one, but right now, my new set Andy has to be modified for SAW.

When the time gets closer, if you'd like, I can always send one your way.

And also, thank you for all that you have done with this project. I and a whole bunch more people really do appreciate it.

Thank you!!

Thanks Walt,

I am having fun with it.

I'll let you know when the 45 pistons and sleeves arrive. At this point I just keep reminding the folks in Italy that I and others are waiting for the parts.

Al Hobbs

I was at the 2010 World Championship in Hungary and watched Alan race his Eagle 45 with the AA45 engine.

I was impressed by the performence in the AA engine. Alan told me he run the AA engine bone stock, and his boat was as fast as any other boats in the heat. From what I saw the performence in the engine is superb. I purchased a engine from Alan and will use it for one of my boats for the rest of the racing session here in Norway. If it prove to be as competitive as I saw in Hungary, I will for sure purchase more engines.

Alan once again proved that he is a real gentleman, as he is always have some nice comment and a smile that affect the people around him. Alan stood next to the racecourse with my 16 year old daughter and the two together shouted "Go Dads Boat,Go :)

Al; I am sure you have been asked many times but do you have any type of a time frame for the larger AA motors? I am looking for an 80 or 90 size. I was hoping to possible have something for next season.

Thanks

Allen Burns

I am still in Europe, but it is almost time to pack my bags and head home. Model boaters are great people, no matter from what country, or what may be their age. I had a great time visiting with old friends and making new friends.

I have two new A/A 45 piston and sleeve assemblies in my bag to check the fit with MAC 45 engines. I will also run the engines on a test stand to see if they run okay. The ports are different in shape and size, but they should line up properly.

During the NAVIGA hydro and offshoe events, the A/A European dealer, Andrea Cavalli of Ready to Win Models, sold every A/A 45 with the sloped rotor he had on hand. Some previous world champions now have A/A engines, so we will start to see more of them competing at important races.

I was very impressed with Keith Burgess's 45 Eagle SGX-1. Keith is from England and was the English champion in 7.5cc Hydro. His boat is very fast and except for getting taken out in one heat, he would have made the finals. I was really hoping he would do well as he drives so much better than I do.

I plan to be back in Italy in October to visit the factory and start on the 67 and 84 size A/A engines. Everything in Italy is shut down during August and in September they start up again. So, October is the best time for me to get the bigger A/A engines going. Like the A/A 45, the bigger engines will be available with a flat rotor or a sloped rotor. The flat rotor will be popular in some of the 1/8 scale hydros so that there is not interference with dummy engines.

Please remember that Italy operates at their own speed. I hope to have the bigger engines available in February or March 2011. Then we will start on another 21 size engine, which will use many MAC 21 design ideas.

Sorry, but I forgot to mention the 90 size A/A engines. I plan to have two designs. One will be similar in size to the K90 engine. As most of you know, the K90 was an improvement on the old Rossi 90. The other 90 size engine will be a big block engine that can also be used to make a 1.0.

The problem is getting the moulds produced and the designs tested. It takes time and of course some money.

Hopefully we can get going on an A/A 90 design in 2011.

I hope I have answered all of the questions.

Every A/A engine larger than a 45 will have a steel rod with needle bearings. At the wrist pin end, the rod will be bushed. For those years that I was importing the Kalistratov engines, the steel rods stood up very well in the larger engines.

Unless the Euro/US Dollar exchange rate changes significantly, I am expecting the 67 and 84 size engines to be about $500.00. In Europe, the price should be about 410 Euros for the 84. The price is not etched in stone, but based on today's costs, that would be the price.

Can't wait for the the new engines Al. I have a newbie question for you, whats the difference between a flat rotor and a sloped rotor? You mention flat would be preferred for people with dummy engines, what about differences in performance?

John

By the flat rotor I mean a design similar to the Picco engines. The carburetor comes out of the rotor in line with the crankshaft. By the sloped rotor I mean a design similar to the Kalistratove or MAC engines. The carburetor and rotors are not in line with the crankshaft, but are pointing upwards.

Each design has some advantages. The flat rotor has less crankcase volume so should offer a bit more bottom end torque. Also, it may fit better under some dummy engines.

The sloped rotor has a spray bar that is higher and therefore is less apt to flood the engine. Also, in most riggers, the rear sponson boom and fuel tanks will not interfere with the carb's air flow.

As to actual performance, from what I have seen there is little if any difference at all. Pick the design that works best in your application.

Al Hobbs

Hey Al, Thans for the quick ship on the tune pipe. The payment is waiting for you when you get home unles you already got it. Question for you about the 67/84. Will the carb have a low speed needle? And will thy have remote highspeed like the CMB or will they be similar to the OS9B? Thanks John

The carbs will be simple. No low side. No needle. You'll have to use a 3rd channel needle or an isolated needle.

Beginners need something simple that can't get too screwed up. Experienced racers all have their own ideas of what carb they like.

My opinion is to keep the price down with a simple carb that works. If you like to adapt an OS carb to your engines, you sure don't want to throw away an expensive carb.

Why not a 7.5cc outboard powerhead? 3.5cc OB powerhead?? Not much needed beyond the inboard version, and you open up a fairly significant portion of the market share for the marine side.

Or atleast tell Paola to send a box of the Rossi 7.5 OB's over with your luggage. :D

~ James

The carbs will be simple. No low side. No needle. You'll have to use a 3rd channel needle or an isolated needle.

Beginners need something simple that can't get too screwed up. Experienced racers all have their own ideas of what carb they like.

My opinion is to keep the price down with a simple carb that works. If you like to adapt an OS carb to your engines, you sure don't want to throw away an expensive carb.
That is EXACTLY the attitude that is needed for nitro to grow...i hate to think of how many potential model boaters have been lost in this great hobby because it was Too hard and/or frustrating to get a nitro motor to simply run....at all! You really are on the right track, and i comend you for it! :)

Yes, the plan is to meet with the Rossi family in October or November and get started on a 67/84 mould. I should have those engines available later in the winter.

Yes, the plan is to meet with the Rossi family in October or November and get started on a 67/84 mould. I should have those engines available later in the winter.
Awesome. I just got back into racing from stopping 8 years ago. Back then it was MAC, OPS or go home. Got back in this year and found out that u can't get MAC or OPS anymore. Glad u guys are stepping it up.

Latest posts

Back