8806 Miss Madison

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

Okay, at the request of Duke Mordja, I'm starting a thread on this boat.

As many already know, the boat was originally built by Ron Jones and based on the design of the 87 Budweiser T-2 hull, but with a couple of major differences:

1) The bottom was changed to carry the additional weight of a Turbo Allison

2) The tunnel was narrower by roughly 6"

The boat's first action was in Tri-Cities where it took 2nd in both preliminary heats but only fifth in the final. It's short season is most famous for the infamous "Double Flip" in San Diego, along side the Circus Circus.

The boat was repaired at Jones' shop and had shoes added prior to running the 89 season.

After the 90 season, the boat was taken to the Bud shop in Tukwilla WA and was at least partially rebuilt. Changes to the boat included:

1) Moving the bulnoses back to 126" from the front of the sponsons

2) Adding extended rear shoes

3) Moving the vertical tails back to on top of the shoes

4) Adding "tiplets" to the sides of the nontrips

5) Installing the Lycombing T55L-7B turbine engine and gearbox.

The boat has had minor changes since by the Madison team and a major rebuild after being sold when the new Miss Madison was debuted.

I'll be posting videos as I can find them showing the boat through it's career over the next few weeks, starting with it's first heat in 1988

Last edited by a moderator:
And last, but not least, for the 1988 season was the infamous double flip. One little fact that most don't know is that this flip ended Ron Snyder's career as an unlimited driver:

Since the 1989 season was a Bud & Circus show, there wasn't really any videos worth posting. That means we jump ahead to 1990 and Kansas City:

So, now we move on to the Turbine years for the Miss M. Let's start with the Detroit Gold Cup:

And now, the last race with the faded paint cowl, the Tri-Cities final heat:

A lot of cool racing videos here. Thanks for posting.

Not meaning to hog your thread here, but did the Madison team change sponsor to Oh Boy Oberto somewhere along the line?

Yes they did. In fact, they have had many sponsors along the way. I'll try to add a video with that sponsorship later

Now we move on to 1993 and the blue and tiger striped Kellogg's colors:

Advancing to 1995, the boat carried the colors and sponsorship of Jasper Engines, shown here in Madison:

Okay Thomas, you asked for it
default_biggrin.png

After having Mike Hanson as the driver from 1989 through 1998, the Miss Madison team had to find a new driver as Mike went to drive the U-9 for Mike and Lori Jones. For two years, it was almost a revolving door at the Madison shop. Todd Yarling drove the boat at it's one appearance, in Madison, in 1999. Charley Wiggins, Jerry Hopp and Nate Brown all drove the boat during the 2000 season. The 2000 season also saw the Oberto Sausage Company sign on as sponsor for the western half of the season. This deal remained until the end of the 2014 season, followed by one additional year of sponsorship by company founder Art Oberto from his own pocket. Okay, enough history, time for a pair of video. This one covers the final heat in 2001 at Evansville:

Yes! That's the one. And wow what a race, with two boats jumping the gun.

Bet there was some happy people in the town of Madison that day
default_smile.png

Really a fine looking boat that Miss Madison I think, thanks for posting.

Actually, Thomas, three boats jumped:

Miss Znetix with Terry Troxell

Miss Emcore with Mark Weber

Miss Budweiser with Dave Villwock

Steve David was the only driver that didn't jump the gun of the boats on the front row

SO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, it's not cheap to fly to the US. If you have the chance to come over, my recommendations would be Madison Indiana over the July 4th weekend, Tri-Cities the last weekend of July or Seattle the first weekend of August. I've been to all three, Seattle more times than I care to think about, and every one is a lot of fun. Each one also has it's own "personality" so what you experience at one won't be what you experience at the others

You're right, I should do it. But as you mention, it will be expensive with the flying and hotels and all. It's not impossible, but it will take some planning and saving though.

Not that I know why, but the Madison race is the most interesting to me. Maybe because of the movie Madison, witch I absolutely love and have seen many times. Would also love to visit the Hydroplane museum, but that's in Washington if I'm right.

Back