5th Annual Grand Prix Classic

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Grand Prix Classic came and now is over for this year. I got to handed to Alfred and Roger for putting again another great race. And Jenny for her hard work. Jenny is the person working behind the scenes and makes it all happend. Thank you guys for another great race.

I would also like to thank Jerry Dunlap for letting me run one his RTR Miss Vega. I was impressed with the performace of these little boats, straight out of the box they run great. Jerry, I hope that there's no "white paint" on my boat! I'm sure that there's plenty of red paint on all the other boats. :rolleyes:

Lorenzo

Ditto.....hats off to Alfred, Roger and JENNIE. She busted her fanny and had to put up with Alfred so lots of kudos to her. Despite some soggy and cold conditions everyone seemed to have a good time hanging out and chatting despite chattering teeth. You'd never know it was sunny and 75 the previous weekend!

Big thanks to our intrepid friends Jerry Dunlap and his son, Lohring Miller and another gentleman named Dennis that made their way here from the Northwest. This was probably normal weather for them. By the way Jerry sorry for the damage to the RTR boat....that was LORENZO THE DIRTY DRIVER! I guess there's only so much a guy can take when you lap him all day long. That was a fast little Vegas you brought me....much thanks. I'm on the Miss Vegas bandwagon...I ordered one this morning. Thanks to Don Maher and Henry Velaso for coming up from SoCal. Always great to see you guys and look forward to seeing you guys again soon.

I personally had a blast mainly because my 10 year-old son stepped up and raced Scale for the first time and I was blown away. He's driven every one of my Scales including the shovelnose and he asked if he could so I said he could race. Man he's a born scale driver! I drove my 94 Exide and I gave him the 88 Miller. He and I BOTH made the Main Event and it's the first time we've raced head to head in any class since I'm usually pitting for him. Well I will admit it before anyone else gets up on here and beats me to the punch.....he came away with 2nd and I got 4th. All 6 boats went into the turn and everyone came out safe. Dave Osman and I were dukin' it out for the lead and my boy was back in 4th...two boats died and then on the 4th lap I hit a patch of rough water and snap rolled trying to dive under and take the lead. My boy got around all the dead boats and kept the 3rd place boat well in his rear-view. Man if for some reason he won I'd really be in trouble! Oh yeah then he won a cool Kyosho nitro truck in the raffle! He spent enough time hawking the cute girl in the raffle booth he should've won something! His crush on her cost me $40 in raffle tickets.

Problem now is my back gets sore with 1 Scale at a race now I gotta lug 2? Yikes. We were a little light on Scales and Twins compared to previous years so hopefully we can get those numbers back up for next year. Great job again guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
We would like to thank all you for attending. Without you despite all of our efforts, there would be no race. It's always all about you guys... and this year... it was about sharing a little bit of the history of our NAMBA organization and showing some appreciation to the legacy of Gary Johnson and how he and the other founding members have impacted our lives as we continue to enjoy R/C boating. Two things he would have most definitey been ecstatic about... Is Preston's second place finish in the main (he always enjoyed and encouratged the kids) and the fact that a Classic Shovel nose took the main event. His entire family was in attendance for the event and they were very pleased with what they saw, many times getting teary eyed as the reminisced over the fond memories.

I would also like to thank Lohring for suggesting the RTR class and Jerry for supplying some of the boats for the RTR class. I think a lot people had their eyes opened to the fun to be had with these things. For those of us still stuck in our old ways... take a look a RTR cars and please realize RTR boats is our key to a stronger future.

We would also like to thank all of our sponsors especially the local sponsors. With their participation we really increased our pool of raffle prizes. Of course we don't want to leave the big guys but this is the first year we had some heavy local support. Their efforts will not go unnoticed. We also want thank Joel Johnson, son of Gary Johnson for helping to elevate our event even a little higher.

One other cool thing I saw was the result of promoting to potential new hobbyist. I over heard several conversations about people inquiring about the local club and how to get involved in boating... and despite the threat of rain all weekend spectators still came out by the hundreds which I am impressed with considering that they have to walk about a quarter of a mile or so from where we ask them to park their car to the race site. (The site is not supposed to be accessed by the public) Nevertheless I estimate approximately 300? (maybe more... maybe less... Guys feel free to correct me if I am off in my estimation) spectators over the course of the weekend... And when it did rain for a while it wasn't long before they started coming back out again. I think guys will agree... it's cool to hear the cheers, oohs and aaahs from a good crowd a people during a good race. All it took was a flyer at the local hobby shops, some calls and email press releases to the local newspapers.

So... I just wanted to share that with those of you who put on races. If they'll come despite the threat of rain their is a strong interest for our little sport of R/C boating. You just have to let them know you are there.

I will check with the local hobby shops to see if there is any increase in RTR Boat sales.

Also... check the website for a brief recap of the event and the NAMBA PropWash for a detailed account. Winners and photos will be posted on the website www.grandprixclassic.com within the next few days.

You would'nt happen to have the race results for RTR classes do you? I would like to know that...Thanks

I cruise your site but see all other winners...not RTR....getting blind in my old age...LOL?

The web site has not been updated yet. But I can tell you who won.... ME! now some will say I cheated, others will say I'm dirty driver.... but at the end it was all about skills! :lol: right Mike?

Lorenzo If I hadn't broken a shaft I would have gotcha in the Main! Bad enough ya had to drill me to ruin my perfect score in the qualifiers ya wingnut! I had a blast with those boats though. Jerry is going to email me their Sport 18 rules and we may see something happening in this District next year who knows.

We would like to thank all you for attending. Without you despite all of our efforts, there would be no race. It's always all about you guys... and this year... it was about sharing a little bit of the history of our NAMBA organization and showing some appreciation to the legacy of Gary Johnson and how he and the other founding members have impacted our lives as we continue to enjoy R/C boating. Two things he would have most definitey been ecstatic about... Is Preston's second place finish in the main (he always enjoyed and encouratged the kids) and the fact that a Classic Shovel nose took the main event. His entire family was in attendance for the event and they were very pleased with what they saw, many times getting teary eyed as the reminisced over the fond memories.
I would also like to thank Lohring for suggesting the RTR class and Jerry for supplying the boats for the RTR class. I think a lot people had their eyes opened to the fun to be had with these things. For those of us still stuck in our old ways... take a look a RTR cars and please realize RTR boats is our key to a stronger future.

We would also like to thank all of our sponsors especially the local sponsors. With their participation we really increased our pool of raffle prizes. Of course we don't want to leave the big guys but this is the first year we had some heavy local support. Their efforts will not go unnoticed. We also want thank Joel Johnson, son of Gary Johnson for helping to elevate our event even a little higher.

One other cool think I saw was the result of promoting to potential new hobbyist. I over heard several conversations about people inquiring about the local club and how to get involved in boating... and despite the threat of rain all weekend spectators still came out by the hundreds which I am impressed with considering that they have to walk about a half a mile or so from where we ask them to park their car to the race site. (The site is not supposed to be accessed by the public) Nevertheless they I estimate approximately 300? (maybe more... maybe less... Guys feel free to correct me if I am off in my estimation) spectators over the course of the weekend... And when it did rain for a while it wasn't long before they started coming back out again. I think guys will a agree... it's cool to hear the cheers, oohs and aaahs from a good crowd a people during a good race. All it took was a flyers at the local hobby shops, some calls and email press releases to the local newspapers.

So... I just wanted to share that with those of you who put on races. If they'll come despite the threat of rain their is a strong interest for our little sport of R/C boating. You just have to let them know your there.

I will check with the local hobby shops to see if there is any increase in RTR Boat sales.

Also... check the website for a brief recap of the event and the NAMBA PropWash for a detailed account. Winners and photos will be posted on the website www.grandprixclassic.com

You would'nt happen to have the race results for RTR classes do you? I would like to know that...Thanks

I cruise your site but see all other winners...not RTR....getting blind in my old age...LOL?
I apologize, I know it may be confusing. Those are the winner from last year. I have not posted the winners from this year yet. I still need to receive the potos from those that took pictures. The photos will be up in the next day or so.

A first class race as usual. Thanks to all of you, especially Alfred and Jenny Lanza, and Roger Hooks for putting this great West Coast season opener. If you couldn't tell, Lorenzo won the RTR final as well as Gas Cat and B Mod Tunnel. I think the Vegas class was the most fun class of the event. Lorenzo also cooked all the lunches.

Lohring Miller

Hmm, the 1st place trophy sitting on my mantel makes me think I won B-Mod tunnel, I'm sure Lorenzo would like a slightly faster mill clock and Alfred would like another shot at his needle valve setting! I'd like to say a big " Thanks to the Lanza's and Roger Hooks Jr for all the work they put in. Also a bid "Thanks" to the sponsors, I didn't run a RTR, but it did look like fun , all the competitors were joking around and laughing, having a whole lot more fun than I thought possible with such a cheap ride. I won two props from Mark Sholund, a throttle arm from CMDI, and a MiniZ tunnel racer from Kyosho so a big "Thank You" to the sponsors for thier support.

Oh yeh, Jay Shelby took second in B-Mod-------------- OLD GUYS RULE!!!!! Rudy

Great job Jennie, Alfred and Roger. After an 18 year layoff to come back and so much fun it was great. The weather did break up enough for us to finish the races. Hey alfred can you tell me where your boat sank, so I can go find it and use the outboard of it for the boat I won at the race. Great raffle, great race, the nationals should be fun.

Hmm, the 1st place trophy sitting on my mantel makes me think I won B-Mod tunnel, I'm sure Lorenzo would like a slightly faster mill clock and Alfred would like another shot at his needle valve setting! I'd like to say a big " Thanks to the Lanza's and Roger Hooks Jr for all the work they put in. Also a bid "Thanks" to the sponsors, I didn't run a RTR, but it did look like fun , all the competitors were joking around and laughing, having a whole lot more fun than I thought possible with such a cheap ride. I won two props from Mark Sholund, a throttle arm from CMDI, and a MiniZ tunnel racer from Kyosho so a big "Thank You" to the sponsors for thier support.

Oh yeh, Jay Shelby took second in B-Mod-------------- OLD GUYS RULE!!!!! Rudy

Rudy,

You're right, you won the b mod, I still say I didn't jump! :rolleyes:

Guys, well done. We had a great time on Saturday. Cassandra was up at the judges stand and I was judging. great veiw. fun race, I enjoyed watching the RTR boats run. Our stock opc ran pretty strong against those pipe boats. Left early Sunday to build a boat. Great eace guys, we really enjoyed it.

Bob Tuttle and clan

Another great Grand Prix Classic. Thanks Jennie, Alfred, and Roger. Paul and I had a great time. Made the drive home though a snow storm in Southern Oregon worth the stress.

In the RTR final, the designer of the Miss Vegas was in the lead after three laps and then hooked out and stalled while making the single buoy right turn. Jeez, you'd think that guy would know how to drive the dang thing!! One of the great things about the RTR race was having Joel Johnson, world champion r/c car driver, racing one of the boats. Joel actually placed second in the first heat when about 1/2 the field failed to finish. The designer of the boat didn't even get started for that heat because he forgot to turn off his transmitter after running the previous day and the tx battery was dead. :angry: Oh well, what can you expect from a guy who qualifies of Medicare on Saturday? :blink:

Then in the 21 Mod Tunnel final, the designer of the Top Speed 2 hits Lohring Miller's boat so hard that Lohring's boat nearly ended up in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. They DQed the TS2 designer - where's the love?

JD

I apologize, I know it may be confusing. Those are the winner from last year. I have not posted the winners from this year yet. I still need to receive the potos from those that took pictures. The photos will be up in the next day or so.
Photos? Did somebody take photos :huh: I thought I only took a couple hundred but then again I did let Roger use the camera for one heat. When I got home I had over 500 :eek: I should be through the rest of them tonight and will be posting and sending some out.

Another great Grand Prix has come and gone and what sticks out in my mind......

For the first time Jennie's magic touch on my raffle tickets failed to get me a big prize :(

The battery pack in my freshly repaired scale failed and it ended up in the bank further cementing my nickname from Dave Osman "Crash" :(

Still confused with Cassandra's t-shirt......"Shave It" shave what? :huh:

Why did all the white RTR's have red racing stripes at the end of the weekend?

10 yr old Preston McKnight's 1st scale race and he spanked his daddy :lol:

Speaking of Preston, how did he manage to make the main? I don't ever recall him leaving the raffle booth ;)

Jeff Wells and I looking at each other wondering how instead of being in the G1 Cat main we ended up pitting for people who did :huh:

Jay Selby's long search for a gas outboard is finally over. Lohring provided him with one for his beautiful Quaker tunnel.....does this mean your not getting a gas cat?

Dave Bestpitch winning the twin class?

Dave Osman being nice enough to hold my Scale trophy for the next 364 days ;)

ok, back to deleting Roger's....I mean editing photos

Oops, and Rudy was my pitman. The short term memory is really shot. I don't know why I can't tell Rudy's Leecraft from Lorenzo's. It was still a great race even if Lorenzo didn't win every class.

Lohring Miller

Guys & Gals

On behalf of Henry & myself, Thank you for a great weekend ( cold,wet,wind,mud :lol: ) and some great racing just as a change of pace :p .

Ya must admit, Dist. 9 serves a better lunch than 19 <_< ( gotta do something about that :D )

And what a dinner on sat nite WOW!!!!!

Alfred,Roger,Jennie and everyone there Thanks for a great time.

Don :)

Guys & GalsOn behalf of Henry & myself, Thank you for a great weekend ( cold,wet,wind,mud :lol: ) and some great racing just as a change of pace :p .

Ya must admit, Dist. 9 serves a better lunch than 19 <_< ( gotta do something about that :D )

And what a dinner on sat nite WOW!!!!!

Alfred,Roger,Jennie and everyone there Thanks for a great time.

Thanks Don,

I am glad you and Henry made the trip. You guys are always sure to add more fast boats to the fleet.

One thing though... I bet you didn't think anyone caught this... and maybe that Gin and Tonic was starting to sneak up on you...

but I saw you sneaking in those last few lines of Nat King Coles 'Route 66' at the Kareoke Lounge before we walked in for dinner. LOL! Maybe we should have stayed at the Kareoke Lounge to see what else you would have sung for us. LOL!

Everyone else missed it but you didn't sneak by me.

Hay Roger

I,m glad you told us it was Maher singing because I thought it was a sqeeking bearing in the overhead fan :D

Thanks for a great time -- you guys and gals in dist. 9 are fun to race with

Henry

Boy, Roger you are good !!!

I thought everyone had left the Kareoke lounge before "Nat" & I went down "Route 66". Henry is pretty close, my singing is like my boat, OUT OF TUNE. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's some of the results that I can remember.

1/8 Scale Unlimiteds:

1) Dave Osman...........Fritz 68' Bardahl

2) Preston McKnight....RC Sportscraft 88' Miller High Life

3) Jeff Alvey.................Velasco 78' Miss Mark and Pak

A-Mod Tunnel:

1) Eric Osman.....Leecraft

2) Ray Hilburn.....HTB

3) Jeff Harteau.....Leecraft

B-Mod Tunnel:

1) Rudy Formanek....Leecraft

2) Jay Selby.............Scratch built, patterned after a real F1 from the Leecraft shop.

3) Dave Osman.........Leecraft

Sport 40 2:

1) Alfred Lanza.........Mutt

2) Tommy Levescy...RC Marine Design SS 45

3) ?

G1 Cat:

1) Lorenzo Martinez....Stryker

2) Gary Crawford........Seaducer

3) Jessie Alvitre...........Insane 2

RTR:

1) Lorenzo Martinez....Aquacraft

2) ?