5th Annual Grand Prix Classic

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello R/C Race Fans,

Some of you have been wait'n and debat'n about about word of the Grand Prix Classic. Well wait no longer this is the official word. The Grand Prix Classic will be held on February 24th and 25th. We moved it back to accomodate the race schedules of some of the other districts who would like to attend.

In addition we are looking to move the location to one of the larger lakes nearby to better accomodate the spectator crowd that try to attend every year. We also have a local business group who is looking to sponsor the event so we are attempting to secure a location that allow for more exposure to their organization as well. As of now the location the location is still Kaiser Cove located in Fremont, just as it has been in previous years but be on the look out for a change in venue.

We also have other new comers to the sponsor table that we are looking to close in the new year.

For those of you wondering what the race schedule will entail the details are as follows.

A Mod Tunnel

B Mod Tunnel

Sport 40 II

1/8 Scale Unlimited Hydroplane (Electrics Welcome)

Multi-Engine Outrigger

and the new addition the the Grand Prix Classic race schedule due to popular demand...

G1 CATAMARAN!!!

The website will be updated shortly.

www.grandprixclassic.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger,

If things can be arranged with my son Paul's work schedule I'm hoping to make another "Father/Son" road trip to the Grand Prix Classic. The new dates actually work better for Paul because he has a Sportman's Show in Portland the second weekend in February that he needs to attend for his work. The other great thing about attending with Paul is he drives most of the way. ;)

JD

Tag Team and the Grand Prix Classic is proud to announce our tribute to one of the founding members of NAMBA, Gary Johnson. Gary Johnson was the first President of NAMBA. He is also one of the founding members of District 9 and the Marine Modelers. Gary was always a fan of "Real looking" boats, so our race, the Grand Prix Classic, which features tunnel hulls and Unlimited Hydroplanes, is the perfect honor. As our tribute, the Grand Prix Classic will now be named the Gary Johnson Grand Prix Classic. A perpetual trophy will be added to the program and awarded to the winner of the 1/8th Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Grand Finale. The trophy will include a likeness of Gary Johnson and brief summary of his history with NAMBA.

Joel Johnson, son of Gary Johnson, and World Class R/C Car Driver will join us in commemorating his dad's life and all that he contributed to our organization. He will be racing A Mod Tunnel, Gas Catamaran, Scale Unlimited and Twin Outrigger. It is said that Joel has won every Championship known to R/C Car racing both national and around the world. So if you looking to pitch your skills against the very best here is your chance.

Gary Johnson was a good friend and mentor to me, my dad and many others. I spent many of days at his house learning how to hand pin stripe and letter a boat with a steady hand. He was also one of the first boaters to embrace electronic vinyl lettering. He provided guidance on creating the many logos for national events.

NAMBA and all of R/C boating have come a long way. Join us as we remember Gary Johnson, and all of those who have gone on before us, leaving a tremendous hobby and lots of pleasant memories.

Look for more information on Gary Johnson and his contributions to NAMBA at http://wwwgrandprixclassic.com.

Kyosho joins the line-up of sponsors for this year's Grand Prix Classic to help promote their new FMR 21V-SII, A Mono hull. Although we will not be running the A Mono event the Grand Prix Classic will provide a high profile event before the start of the 2007 race season to start creating a buzz about the little known hull. The boat has done very well in Japan and Kyosho hopes to have the same success in the US.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/boats/gp/41473.asp

Great to hear Gary Johnson is being recognized for his contributions to model boating and NAMBA. Having Joel attend the event will be a terrific addition. If Joel ever decides to get serious about model boat racing, he could be a dominating driver.

Now, if the cold weather will just go away I'm hoping to do some serious testing with my 3.5 & 7.5 mod tunnels.

JD

I would also like to challenge everyone with a ready to run .18 sport hydro. At least two of us will bring our Miss Vegas hydros to the race. Everyone with a Vegas, Bud, or Luminar hydro is welcome. The rules are you can change props, remove the engine head shim(s), or use readily available aftermarket hardware. E-mail me at [email protected] for the complete rules.

Lohring Miller

.......trying to figure out where my son's Bud boat went....

I talked with Alfred.......G1 CAT is already up to 22 entries!

Man, only 4 weeks to go and I'm still trying to get my scale ready for paint. Almost have a plug done to replace my busted up cowl.

Anybody have a scale I can borrow :unsure:

This is a little off topic but I was wondering if the "Mudhens" in D-9 were still excepting new members :huh:

Wild Bill was at the lake in Fremont this weekend and while getting out of the retrieve boat lost his balance and took a header into the lake :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think he's blaming Alfred for not being there to hold his hand as he got out :lol: :lol:

****, I had just left and missed his initiation or I'd posting pictures :(

My son, Paul, told me he's getting time off to go to the GrandPrix Classic this year. We'll be bringing down a couple of A Mods, a B Mod, and two Vegas hydros for the 18 RTR Hydro Class. There's lots of great things about going to a model boat race with you son, but one of the greatest things when it's a 12 hour drive is having someone along to help with the driving.

JD

This is a little off topic but I was wondering if the "Mudhens" in D-9 were still excepting new members :huh: Wild Bill was at the lake in Fremont this weekend and while getting out of the retrieve boat lost his balance and took a header into the lake :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think he's blaming Alfred for not being there to hold his hand as he got out :lol: :lol:

Glenn,

We could always use new members. Our club now has a few including our newest member that was never announced. Sometime last year, I was helping Jeff Wells to launch his boat, I was holding the radio while his was lauching his boat, well the boat wasn't the only thing that went into the water..... It was funny to see, it all happended in slow motion... Anyway, have wild Bill send me an application to the D9 Mudhens.

LM

This is a little off topic but I was wondering if the "Mudhens" in D-9 were still excepting new members :huh: Wild Bill was at the lake in Fremont this weekend and while getting out of the retrieve boat lost his balance and took a header into the lake :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glenn,

We could always use new members. Our club now has a few including our newest member that was never announced. Sometime last year, I was helping Jeff Wells to launch his boat, I was holding the radio while his was lauching his boat, well the boat wasn't the only thing that went into the water..... It was funny to see, it all happended in slow motion... Anyway, have wild Bill send me an application to the D9 Mudhens.

LM
Hey,no last names and I think I was pushed??

Sent off the registration for my son, Paul, and I this afternoon. two 3.5 Mods, one 7.5 Mod, and two Vegas boats. Also, I'm getting two more Vegas hydros from AquaCraft for the Sport 18 RTR Class. Looking for a couple of Grand Prix Classic participants interested in racing these boats. With two Vegas boats coming from Oregon, the two being raced by the Dunlaps, and the two extra I'm bringing down we should have at least six in the class. If anyone attending is interested, let me know.

JD

Sent off the registration for my son, Paul, and I this afternoon. two 3.5 Mods, one 7.5 Mod, and two Vegas boats. Also, I'm getting two more Vegas hydros from AquaCraft for the Sport 18 RTR Class. Looking for a couple of Grand Prix Classic participants interested in racing these boats. With two Vegas boats coming from Oregon, the two being raced by the Dunlaps, and the two extra I'm bringing down we should have at least six in the class. If anyone attending is interested, let me know.
JD
Hi Jerry,

I'll race one!

Thnx

Lorenzo

JD
Hi Jerry,

I'll race one!

Thnx

Lorenzo
O.k. Lorenzo, you got one. :rolleyes:

JD

JD
Hi Jerry,

I'll race one!

Thnx

Lorenzo
O.k. Lorenzo, you got one. :rolleyes:

JD

Thanks Jerry, I'm excited and can't wait.

I'll run one of those for ya Jerry if don't mind. I'm only running scale so I've got time. The twin is still not done.....didn't I say that last year too?

Lorenzo

It's OK, I'll keep him out of your way. See you there.

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back