3EGX FASST conversion.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Tony at Radio South figured out what to do to the encoder and with a pinout from Pete at Kraft Midwest I'm on my way to converting my 25 yr old 3EGX's.

After lots of head scratching I figured the best way was to bury the FASST board in a 3EGX module case:

Module_018.jpg

I'm trying to figure out where to mount the antenna. Does anyone know what's inside the plastic cover? I'm wondering if it's just coax with 1" bare like the rx? If so maybe I could use one of the "long" antennas in it's place? Sure would make it easier to get to the top of the Tx where I want it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony at Radio South figured out what to do to the encoder and with a pinout from Pete at Kraft Midwest I'm on my way to converting my 25 yr old 3EGX's.

After lots of head scratching I figured the best way was to bury the FASST board in a 3EGX module case:

Module_018.jpg

I'm trying to figure out where to mount the antenna. Does anyone know what's inside the plastic cover? I'm wondering if it's just coax with 1" bare like the rx? If so maybe I could use one of the "long" antennas in it's place? Sure would make it easier to get to the top of the Tx where I want it. :)

Terry,

I can't wait to show this to my buddy Gary. He has the same EGX radios and I thing this would make him very happy!

Is this conversion cost effective? I have and old FP3FG Futaba with a module that looks like the one in the pic. I like the features this radio has.

Is this conversion cost effective? I have and old FP3FG Futaba with a module that looks like the one in the pic. I like the features this radio has.
Dunno, the module and rx are $160 at Tower:

http://www3.towerhob...?&I=LXLZP3&P=SM

It's a bit of effort too, but if you really, really like your old transmitter to me it's worth it. :)

Anybody know what's inside the plastic antenna?

If it wasn't so close to the Northern Nats I'd just cut it open. :unsure:

Module_018.jpg

Terry,

I can't wait to show this to my buddy Gary. He has the same EGX radios and I thing this would make him very happy!
Any idea what he's been using for modules? I got some FM units thanks to Steve Ball and Francois I've been running for years...

hi terry i have been looking for the simalar sort of option for my 3egx system as well here in australia but no body has anything laying around to suit it, as my search was for specific for 29mhz module no one gave respons on our forum.

now that i have seen this thread here you have pricked my ears would be very keen to hear the performance of the fasst set up on the set and what ever else is involved to set it up to run.

i got my 3egx 21 years ago from tower hobbies as there was only ever 6 or so set in this country.a genuine dedicated boat radio. awsome keen to hear more terry .

wayne middlemiss

Module_018.jpg

Terry,

Is that radio a 3EGX or an OCD3? lol Did I see a hair stuck in that board? See you in a couple weeks buddy.

RJ Jr.

Terry,

Is that radio a 3EGX or an OCD3? lol Did I see a hair stuck in that board? See you in a couple weeks buddy.

RJ Jr.
Hair, where? You're kidding right? ****, I thought I cleaned it thoroughly. :unsure:

You know that years of therapy have done little for my condition. :blink:

If we happen to be neighbors in a couple weeks you can help me immensely by keeping your area neat and tidy... :lol:

awsome job terry looks like it was that way from the onset .

curious of the cost of the conversion and will consider sending mine to you for the same treament, ive got a 75mhz module doing nothing too.

cheers wayne

Great conversion Terry! Francois will be talking to you about it in London next weekend.

Steve Ball

Back