Futaba FASST

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
I think the new FASST technology from Futaba is absolutely fantastic, rock solid and no frequency conflicts, what could be better? :)

I converted my old 3EGX's last year with 3PK modules and R603FS rx's and have had an intermittent problem I can't seem to nail down. When I turn the radio on I get solid green lights on the tx and rx but the system doesn't work, there's no response to commands but for some reason the servos are held in their neutral positions. Sometimes turning the radio off and on it works, then it's rock solid.

Had it happen last week at EVille and couldn't get it to work. Of course when I got home it worked every time! :blink:

Trying to trouble shoot the problem I've tried:

Changing receiver's, same thing, leads me to believe it's transmitter related.

Re-binding the rx.

Removing an independent Futaba FS1 failsafe.

Recharging rx batteries.

Removed CF radio box lid.

Turning the system on with the throttle stick in different positions.

Exposed the system to 115F for 8 hrs.

Don't get me wrong, 2.4 is the best thing to come to R/C in a long, long time and my problems might be related to the 3EGX conversion, just wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar. :unsure:

Module_026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using a Futaba 3PK on 2.4 since 2007 with zero problems. I have six 603FS receivers, and have run this system in at least a dozen different boats, and 5 different cars. two of my cars have carbon fiber chassis and several of my boats have carbon fiber radio box lids, and one has a carbon fiber wrapped tub.

Larry

Larry, how many times have those boats ran since 2007??? :p :p
All the TCMBC races in '07,'08,'09, plus Quad Cities,in '08, and Mendota in '08 and '09.I started working weekends in 2010 and nobody around here races boats during the week.I can race my cars on Wed, and Thurs. nights. I ran my Eagle last week, and I might get a chance to get my Blackbird wet this evening, if the wind stays down. Are you coming North for Mn State Championship race in October?

Well, I don't want to be negative, but I tried that module system about 4 years ago and had these same issues. When it happens when a boat is running, you will feel my pain as I did. I run too many boats to trust it now and after that incident, I went with complete Futaba Faast 7C systems and 617 receivers. I now have 4-7C transmitters and 12 receivers and not one issue since. Sorry, I'm just not big on conversions since putting the smokin joe on the rocks. When my last 3EGX as yours on 75mhz calved this year when I drove through Allan Yuens 67 rigger, it was my last 75 band radio. Everything is now 7C with dual antennaes on the receivers and there is no earthly way anyone should have issues with Tx/Rx on boats. I use these same systems in my aircraft and again, no issues in the last 5 years.

It seems like the EGX radio or any radio converted to 2.4 with a module system will have some sort of issue at some point. Myself, I cannot trust that style anymore. It has cost alot for me to convert, but the piece of mind far outweighs the cost. Besides, when you buy a complete 7C system even without servos at the right time, you get another receiver for $10.

regards

Isn't it the automatic power-overload protection in the transmitter (or receiver) ?

Fresh charged cells or LiPo's are having more Volts as needed.

I think that's why it works after you switched on and off several times ... it 'eats' the peak from the power-pack.

Solder some wires (or servo-connector) to a car brake-light , use a Voltmeter to monitor , and decrease the power to 6V ,

before connecting to the receiver (or switching on).

I have to do the same .. not for FASST .. but over 6V will fry my MPX servo's .. they don't like over 6V at all.

I could buy a 10Amp volt-limiter .. but I feel that's another gadget that might fail , besides that ...

a car brakelight is 20 times cheaper as a voltlimiter ;)

I'm all for the 2.4 deal... but have had a few issues the same.... and, my Nimh's charge to 7.2 per my charger which may be the problemo..... I'd thought the cells would "calm, or balance down,"... upon a peak?..... Intermittent question, seeing how we're on the 2.4 box.... is there a voltage (BEC) deal in there that could be jacking too much draw( ie: rigger in a turn), and the receiver goes to red and a rebind?...... only on a 45 proto I've built to date..... the 21 stuff has been rock solid...... Futaba guys abound on here...... please explain..... possibly..... Please let the wind be calm in Mn...... Mike

Well, I don't want to be negative, but I tried that module system about 4 years ago and had these same issues. When it happens when a boat is running, you will feel my pain as I did. Sorry, I'm just not big on conversions since putting the smokin joe on the rocks.
Did you use the same PK-FSM 3 channel module and 603RS rx as I did?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLZP3&P=SM

What radio did you put it in?

Did you get no response when you first turned it on like what I'm getting? Turn off and on and get it to work?

Finally, did you set the failsafe on the module or use a seperate backup unit?

Isn't it the automatic power-overload protection in the transmitter (or receiver) ?

Fresh charged cells or LiPo's are having more Volts as needed.

I think that's why it works after you switched on and off several times ... it 'eats' the peak from the power-pack.

Solder some wires (or servo-connector) to a car brake-light , use a Voltmeter to monitor , and decrease the power to 6V ,

before connecting to the receiver (or switching on).

I have to do the same .. not for FASST .. but over 6V will fry my MPX servo's .. they don't like over 6V at all.

I could buy a 10Amp volt-limiter .. but I feel that's another gadget that might fail , besides that ...

a car brakelight is 20 times cheaper as a voltlimiter ;)

Thanks for the input but I don't think that's the issue as I peaked the rx pack at home and it worked fine. :blink:

terry, it's because you're trying to use a "cell phone" with an antique wooden phone booth :lol: :lol: . sorry, couldn't resist. watching this thread, as learning stuff is all good, imho.

Are you using anologue servo's?

It could be turning on in HRS then finally the radio self senses as it is supposed to and upon switching it on it changes to PPM as anologue servo's need and works. Check to be sure it is in PPM mode if anologues are on any channel.

Not sure about why over voltage would be the issue as the I run 3PKS with module and the lipo's are at 12.6 volt all day after a fresh charge and run LiFe's at 6.6 volts on the receiver and no issues with that voltage. The receivers will work with up to a 12 volt input of coarse it would fry the servo's.

Are you using analogue servos?

It could be turning on in HRS then finally the radio self senses as it is supposed to and upon switching it on it changes to PPM as analogue servos need and works. Check to be sure it is in PPM mode if analogues are on any channel.

Not sure about why over voltage would be the issue as the I run 3PKS with module and the lipo's are at 12.6 volt all day after a fresh charge and run LiFe's at 6.6 volts on the receiver and no issues with that voltage. The receivers will work with up to a 12 volt input of coarse it would fry the servo's.
I wonder? :rolleyes:

I'm running all analogue servos. Specs say it auto detects between HRS & PPM, any way to tell what mode it's operating in?

Well, I don't want to be negative, but I tried that module system about 4 years ago and had these same issues. When it happens when a boat is running, you will feel my pain as I did. Sorry, I'm just not big on conversions since putting the smokin joe on the rocks.

http://www3.towerhob...?&I=LXLZP3&P=SM

Did you get no response when you first turned it on like what I'm getting? Turn off and on and get it to work?

Terry, I cannot remember what module and rx.... But I used a Futaba pcm1024 2 stick transmitter and not my trusty gold ones. I did everything the instructions called for. When the Joe crashed, I could tell I lost control in a corner. After the crash the radio equipment worked fine. Go figure.... I took the module and receiver back to the hobby shop and got my money back.

Here is the transmitter I used....

med_gallery_128_1172_9307.jpg

Terry, I cannot remember what module and rx.... But I used a Futaba pcm1024 2 stick transmitter and not my trusty gold ones. I did everything the instructions called for. When the Joe crashed, I could tell I lost control in a corner. After the crash the radio equipment worked fine. Go figure.... I took the module and receiver back to the hobby shop and got my money back.

Thanks for the reply.

Did you have problems like me where it wouldn't respond to commands when you turned it on?

Or did it just fail and crashed the boat?

Thanks for the reply.

Did you have problems like me where it wouldn't respond to commands when you turned it on?

Or did it just fail and crashed the boat?

I do not remember having problems not working when I turned it on as you describe. I never tried it with the 3EGX transmitter either. After the crash I just decided I had to go a different direction in radio technology as Hitec and futaba were no longer making a 3 channel stick radio that I was comfortable with. The 7C has the rotating knob for mixture control on channel 6 and I just program different models on the 4 TX's I have for all my boats. Just cannot run with anything but a stick radio....old school guy here.

Latest posts

Back