2009 World OB Tunnel Championships

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey round boy have you updated the entries lately we sent ours in last week should have made it there by now I would have thought.

I have 3 entries since the last update. I havent gotten yours yet. I will update the website tomorrow after Wednesdays mail.

~James

I hope we do see an FE class this year and as for "open" it doesn't merit being a rerun for the most part of D tunnel. Maybe an E/F class would represent tunnels better since this race is the premier tunnel event of the season. What about making a legitimate sport D class and use national rather than local rules. Charleston has been a trend setter for us tunnel heads and whatever format arises we will be there to support it. Mic Halbrehder

Mic,

We have had an E/F class every tunnel champs race. It is intended to continue with it. I'll let James deal with the Sport D class as he and Don Gilbert were the creators of it for this race.

John
I would also like to see sport D be a legit stock class not a full mod CMB, Nelson with a large can stuck on it ! I run well with a stock REDHEAD 2nd overall in dist 12 and will be at Charleston with a good ole REDHEAD to run SPORT D tunnel.Hope to see some more. Have a great day Dick Loeb

I have replied to this before in the original question, but basically there are no "legit" stock engines even available for sale right now. K&B is the only company who makes a complete .45 engine (according the IMPBA sport rules), and they are not available. None of them. There are however, plenty of .45 power heads that can be purchased, and regulated by simply not allowing a tuned pipe, which is what we have done. It has proven in the past years to be a very good limiter to this sport d class. .45 engines only run so good without a tuned pipe, bottom line, doesnt matter who makes them. I still say the fastest sport D boats out there over the years were either Tally's twin OS powered rocket, or Mike Rushing's red head. Not CMB's, Not Nelsons, but engines that already fall into the "legit" category.

If there are enough racers that wish to make this a true sport class (such as with sport B rules), the CMB club has listened to all the opinions in the past and made changes to reflect those opinions. We are not apposed to doing it for this class, but this year it has been decided it will remain as it has been. So far, Jerry D, Mic, and You have mentioned changing this. Its a start, but certainly not the majority. Maybe if K&B (or someone else?) starts making .45 engines again, we could do both classes. "outlaw .45" and "sport D"

Thanks, James

I have replied to this before in the original question, but basically there are no "legit" stock engines even available for sale right now. K&B is the only company who makes a complete .45 engine (according the IMPBA sport rules), and they are not available. None of them. There are however, plenty of .45 power heads that can be purchased, and regulated by simply not allowing a tuned pipe, which is what we have done. It has proven in the past years to be a very good limiter to this sport d class. .45 engines only run so good without a tuned pipe, bottom line, doesnt matter who makes them. I still say the fastest sport D boats out there over the years were either Tally's twin OS powered rocket, or Mike Rushing's red head. Not CMB's, Not Nelsons, but engines that already fall into the "legit" category.
If there are enough racers that wish to make this a true sport class (such as with sport B rules), the CMB club has listened to all the opinions in the past and made changes to reflect those opinions. We are not apposed to doing it for this class, but this year it has been decided it will remain as it has been. So far, Jerry D, Mic, and You have mentioned changing this. Its a start, but certainly not the majority. Maybe if K&B (or someone else?) starts making .45 engines again, we could do both classes. "outlaw .45" and "sport D"

Thanks, James
hey james sent my 40 registration in too be added Thanks ...and i think it would be a great class if just all k@b motors would run that way it would be setup prop and driver !!!! and maybe bring the k@b sells up again along with the 40 class thats declining and not too mention cost of the high dollar power heads

K&B's sales would probably be "up" if they currently made any .45 engines. Thats the problem. Ill be on the look out for your entry addition. Thanks, James

K&B's sales would probably be "up" if they currently made any .45 engines. Thats the problem. Ill be on the look out for your entry addition. Thanks, James
LOL true James!!!! you know you cant really blame people for running other powerheads if you can get them I guess.....

LOL true James!!!! you know you cant really blame people for running other powerheads if you can get them I guess.....
Doesn't matter what is run............ You still have to finish the heats. K&B super pro is no slower than a outlaw can motor. It is done to get creativity and opens up a great way to show what the future could hold with a little imagination. If we forbid modifieds down to the same level, where would the creativity be to try O/B's like your Picco, or the Flip-Flop CMB. We should not be limited by the LACK of imagination the manufacturers have, but should embrace it as a challenge that MAYBE they will recognize, and step to the plate in the future.

Doesn't matter what is run............ You still have to finish the heats. K&B super pro is no slower than a outlaw can motor. It is done to get creativity and opens up a great way to show what the future could hold with a little imagination. If we forbid modifieds down to the same level, where would the creativity be to try O/B's like your Picco, or the Flip-Flop CMB. We should not be limited by the LACK of imagination the manufacturers have, but should embrace it as a challenge that MAYBE they will recognize, and step to the plate in the future.
good point Ron Agreed !!!!!!

Ok Guys, I updated the entry list. It is current as of Feb 2nd. If you dont see your name on the list, its because I dont have your entry...

Missing a bunch of the big hitters... I guess we are going to have to start calling people out... get em in!

~James

Wasn't the reason you cancelled the open class for space for the FE 'p'spec class?

so were's all the FE racers?

just wondering

shane

No, we cancelled it after the survey, that was given out to the racers and the results had over 90% that responded, to cancel the class. Comments were that the class was redundant from other classes that were already being run. And to open up more slots for the other classes and still keep under the boat limit.

The FE class was requested to be added in the summer.

No, we cancelled it after the survey, that was given out to the racers and the results had over 90% that responded, to cancel the class. Comments were that the class was redundant from other classes that were already being run. And to open up more slots for the other classes and still keep under the boat limit.
The FE class was requested to be added in the summer.
Sorry john for getting that wrong. I must of bin one of the 10% that wanted it.

but stiill were are all the FE boats? I was thinking about building one ,but i'm building a mod VP instead.

shane

open class rules [lol]

Shane,

You just forgot I believe.

More MOD-VP fun! Bring them on.

The FLA guys that have many of the FE tunnels have not entered yet. Herb Stewart called me late last week and he and others are getting their entries in soon. Just a few things going slow. Holidays, Winternats, winter with many, etc. It should pick up soon.

Where are all of the gas tunnels from GA & FLA?

John

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: FE Guys, If they are like the ones over here they are just being sooky :lol: :rolleyes: :angry:

How long does it usually take for mail to reach you ? I mailed my entry last monday !

Dick Roberts

Dick, I got your entry last week. Your name is on the list on the website. If you dont see it, refresh your browser, you are probably looking at an old version that your computer automatically saves.

~James

James Clegg,

James Beasley with a question ref the E/F Class. Since the "OPEN" class was cancelled due to it basically being a re-run of the 7.5 class (redundant) has there been any talk or maybe even a decision I am not aware of being made, about NOT allowing any motors smaller than 11cc (single engine 7.5 cc boats) to run in the E/F class? I foresee the fast 7.5 boats & drivers running their primary 7.5 boats in the E/F class if you do not have this special rule in place. I do not see the rule stated on the race flyer, so as it is now I assume that any displacement engine can be run in E/F Tunnel, right? I personally would like to see only 11cc and up (including allowing twin 7.5 boats) in the E/F class. What is the deal going to be? Thanks, James

James Clegg,
James Beasley with a question ref the E/F Class. Since the "OPEN" class was cancelled due to it basically being a re-run of the 7.5 class (redundant) has there been any talk or maybe even a decision I am not aware of being made, about NOT allowing any motors smaller than 11cc (single engine 7.5 cc boats) to run in the E/F class? I foresee the fast 7.5 boats & drivers running their primary 7.5 boats in the E/F class if you do not have this special rule in place. I do not see the rule stated on the race flyer, so as it is now I assume that any displacement engine can be run in E/F Tunnel, right? I personally would like to see only 11cc and up (including allowing twin 7.5 boats) in the E/F class. What is the deal going to be? Thanks, James
Would seem to me that the E/F engine size would dictate that engines running in E/F class would comply with the IMPBA E/F engine size rules. Just my observation.

JD

Back