2009 World OB Tunnel Championships

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merely poking fun JD. :D

I just started a new poll, so you guys voice your opinions please....

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
james, don't know if it's just on my end or not, but the world tunnel championship link takes me to some world portal search with ramseyclegg.com in the search box ????????

Maybe an E/F class would represent tunnels better since this race is the premier tunnel event of the season. What about making a legitimate sport D class and use national rather than local rules.

Mic, just to reiterate what John said, we have had a E/F class since the first race, and it has continued to grow every year, so it will definitely be back next year.

As for your 2nd reccomendation for sport D, can you clarify what you mean? There is no such class as "Sport D Tunnel" in IMPBA, so our local rules (at this point) are the only rules. We came up with the class back when the Sport 20 tunnel was booming (of course it still is) in hopes of attracting a new class of boats, and with our"rules" (no tuned pipes) we have created an "45 outlaw sport" class if you will. Very simple rules, and easy to police. The class has grown quite nicely since the first time we ran it, and often has some pretty unique set-ups in the field (CMB conversions running K&B mufflers, twin OSXM powered hulls, etc. etc.) We have had one or two requests to make the rules mirror the IMPBA sport 20 tunnel rules with the only change being displacement, but at this point we (CMB) feel that the class is heading in the direction in which we initially intended it to. Doing that would also severly limit the class down to ONLY running K&B engines, as they are the only ones who produce (I use that term lightly since they are not currently avail.) a ready to run complete engine.

Were you refering to the NAMBA style "B OPC" rules maybe?

James,

I was thinking of just stock (like NAMBA)which would include K&B muffled and even an unut original 4 hole lower. Twin OS's would also qualify. Being other brands don't make muffler exhausts (CMB Rossi Nelson) what are there limitations? Just looking for more consistency I guess.

Also are we going to have the same format with the big 4 classes having a final A-B shootout again? Actually 3 without open. Jay who TQ'd 2 classes last year and muffed both finals would say keep that format. Running the best of the best is what we are there for.

Mic

James,I was thinking of just stock (like NAMBA)which would include K&B muffled and even an unut original 4 hole lower. Twin OS's would also qualify. Being other brands don't make muffler exhausts (CMB Rossi Nelson) what are there limitations? Just looking for more consistency I guess.

Also are we going to have the same format with the big 4 classes having a final A-B shootout again? Actually 3 without open. Jay who TQ'd 2 classes last year and muffed both finals would say keep that format. Running the best of the best is what we are there for.

Mic

Mic, the limiting factor in this class is in our rules of not allowing a tuned pipe. If its got cones (divergent or convergent) in any configuration its not allowed. Period.

Other than that, its an open book as long as it meet the outboard tunnel requirements and is below the current noise limit. We arent even going to try to police a true stock class at this point, especially since K&B is the only mfr. who makes a complete engine. And to add to that, K&B hasnt even had them available for the past 1.5 years.

Yes, we will be doing a similar format as last year, but we are tweeking it to make it run a little smoother. The details will be out in January.

Guys, I am in the middle of revamping the World Tunnel Champs website. It will be up and running shortly.

~James

Mic,

It is expected that those classes that have 32 entries or more will have the A/B main format used. It is what we used for the 2008 race and we discussed doing it again for 2009. The B, Sport B and D tunnel classes all had that and are expected will again for 2009. Expect at least one or two to be added. However, we still have to finalize the final race format for many things for 2009 and we will do that over the next couple of months.

The biggest change is that we will be racing at noon on Friday so we get in 4 rounds and have some slack for weather delays. We got smacked at both our races this year and is the first time we have ever had that in over 15 years of racing in Charleston. I am MOST hopeful for a better year in 2009! And the Charleston Fall Nationals in October will also start on Friday as well, but not sure if it will be noon or 8 am. We will wait and use the Tunnel Championships and use it as a gauge for the October race.

John are you the CD for the 2009 event, are you going to race and having said this what system are you going to use to break ties? Run offs?

It would be good to know this in advance..

Grim

John are you the CD for the 2009 event, are you going to race and having said this what system are you going to use to break ties? Run offs?
It would be good to know this in advance..

Grim

Those details have not been determined. We went through 9 tie breakers for 2 classes (B tunnel and D tunnel) last time but having 3 rounds helped that be the case. With 4 rounds the chances will be reduced but may not be eliminated. Open to reasonable suggestions and the intent is to try and avoid run offs if at all possible. Just makes the race that much longer but may end up being the best and last/final option.

I do plan on running my MOD-VP and B tunnel boats. Only ones I have and all I will get too. You know I love my nitro riggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
To all: As promised, the race flayer for the 2009 World OB Tunnel Championships is now available, and we are accepting entries. Please dont delay, this race fills up very quickly, and will be closed for entry once we hit the 250 boat limit mark. We will continue to fill remaining positions in classes (8 boat heats), but NO new heats will be created.

Please click HERE for the race flyer

The website, www.charlestonmodelboaters.com is still in its infancy stage, and I am working on it daily. At this point it is simply built enough to host the race flyer and race entry list. I am working on it, but it takes time. I will keep you all posted of updates. The rest of the pages on the website will also be updated asap, in between getting everything else done.

If there are any questions, please direct them to me. My email address is [email protected] and this is the best way to reach me. I check it several times a day, and will give you a response.

See you guys in a few months!!!

Thanks, the Charleston Model Boaters via James Clegg

To all: As promised, the race flayer for the 2009 World OB Tunnel Championships is now available, and we are accepting entries. Please dont delay, this race fills up very quickly, and will be closed for entry once we hit the 250 boat limit mark. We will continue to fill remaining positions in classes (8 boat heats), but NO new heats will be created.
Please click HERE for the race flyer

The website, www.charlestonmodelboaters.com is still in its infancy stage, and I am working on it daily. At this point it is simply built enough to host the race flyer and race entry list. I am working on it, but it takes time. I will keep you all posted of updates. The rest of the pages on the website will also be updated asap, in between getting everything else done.

If there are any questions, please direct them to me. My email address is [email protected] and this is the best way to reach me. I check it several times a day, and will give you a response.

See you guys in a few months!!!

Thanks, the Charleston Model Boaters via James Clegg
hey james i cant read mirosoft word an you send pdf or adobe thanks

Todd, I will PDF it tommorow morning at work, and post it on the web site as an alternative. Thanks!

~James

Back