2006 Atlanta Spring Nats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lamar can you post an address for the lake its been a long time an i want to mapquest it. Ps I will drag as many midwest boaters as i can down there....Mike Schindler

Here ya go Mikey..........

1000 Naturally Fresh Blvd., Atlanta, GA

Hope to see ya there but I cant commit this early, hope there is some room left in a month or so.

Ron

RON,

Fifteen years ago Atlanta Spring Nats was full before new years (the Conyers days and early Naturally Fresh days). That was when they used to limit the race at 325+ boats. This race is under new administration and it is in the process of growing back to those levels, send your entry and secure your spot.

JOSE

Last edited by a moderator:
Lamar, Wendy

Mine is on the way, both B tunnel classes. Looks like your hope of having a nice big race may be even bigger than you thought!

RON,

Fifteen years ago Atlanta Spring Nats was full before new years (the Conyers days and early Naturally Fresh days). That was when they used to limit the race at 325+ boats. This race is under new administration and it is in the process of growing back to those levels, send your entry and secure your spot.

JOSE
Jose,

325 boats... REALLY? They ran 325 boats @ a 2-day event? We quit racing back around 1990... I vaugely remember going to Atlanta once or twice and it was overwhelming the number of boats in each class (back before there were SOOOO many classes).

Lamar

Lamar, Wendy

Mine is on the way, both B tunnel classes. Looks like your hope of having a nice big race may be even bigger than you thought!
Mark,

Thanks for your support! I spoke w/ Wendy today and the entries are already staring to show up @ her door and in her mailbox.

Lamar

LAMAR

Those were the Psalmods, Lovelace, Knudsen, Robertson, Sturm, McClellam, etc, etc days. You was is in "Kindergarten" and there was no "Gassers". The biggest boat I remember was the "Tidalwave". Am I bringing any memories for anybody. 3 rounds, trophies distibuted very late Sunday.

LAMAR

Those were the Psalmods, Lovelace, Knudsen, Robertson, Sturm, McClellam, etc, etc days. You was is in "Kindergarten" and there was no "Gassers". The biggest boat I remember was the "Tidalwave". Am I bringing any memories for anybody. 3 rounds, trophies distibuted very late Sunday.
Jose,

OK, running 3 heats w/ 325 boats is "doable"... 4 heats would take 3 days!!! I remember most of those guys. We ran against Tony, John, Joe, & Rob quite a bit. We used to run with Mickey Rose, Raymond Gonzalez, and Lamar McClellam out of Columbus too. In fact 2-3 years ago when I was racing slot cars I ran into Lamar M.

The "TIDALWAVE"... Man that thing was HUGE. I actually blew it over one time. I don't remember which race it was but I went around him on the outside and cut back over pretty quick. It was like SLOW MOTION that big ole' tub going up and over my rooster.

Later,

Lamar

The "Tidalwave" was a super gargantuously big FMONO. As big as a work bench. It had in my opinion, estimated 18" freeboards. It probably took 2 persons to set it on the water, not because of it's weight or length, but because of it's bulkiness. The driver used to run lane one and hope for the best. Nice colorful paint job too. LAMAR if you made it roll, then I would consider that an achievement. Biggest boat I have seen racing by far.

JOSE

The "Tidalwave" was a super gargantuously big FMONO. As big as a work bench. It had in my opinion, estimated 18" freeboards. It probably took 2 persons to set it on the water, not because of it's weight or length, but because of it's bulkiness. The driver used to run lane one and hope for the best. Nice colorful paint job too. LAMAR if you made it roll, then I would consider that an achievement. Biggest boat I have seen racing by far.

JOSE
Wasn't that thing a TWIN? Seems like I remember the owner saying it used to be a flower planter out in front of a boat dealership or marine supply store. They used to tie a rope to it and pull it back in behind the retrieve boat becasue it was so BIG... Man that thing left a NASTY hole in the water too, if you changed lanes behind him your boat would almost dissapear...

Later,

Lamar

I sent off my registration today. I hope the weather is a little warmer than last year :D

I'll be ready to get racing again by then.

Olly

JOSE
Wasn't that thing a TWIN? Seems like I remember the owner saying it used to be a flower planter out in front of a boat dealership or marine supply store. They used to tie a rope to it and pull it back in behind the retrieve boat becasue it was so BIG... Man that thing left a NASTY hole in the water too, if you changed lanes behind him your boat would almost dissapear...

Later,

Lamar

It was at the Atlanta race in 1990 that the Youngblood mono got in front of the monster boat and flipped it over in a turn. Everybody yelled out a big HOOORAAAY!! I think it was about this same time that the maximum boat length and weight rule was added to the rule book...and the Tidal Wave was too long and too heavy for the new rule. It was a twin. Two CMB 90's I think. One person could launch it, but it sounded like a gun going off evertime it was thrown in!

LAMAR

Jose, Yea man the tidal wave! It ran at some of our local races sometime around 1989/1990 had 2 cmb 90's. I remember that some kids in the local park (where our race site was) wanted to ride in it! Although they probably could have, we told them the pipes would burn their butts! I believe it was Jay Martin Sr.'s boat, Ive seen it for sale ever since the Impba rule "ruled" it out. Jeff

Jeff, you are right

First year I saw it, it had a huge motor. Can't remember brand name. Then they changed it and put a couple of CMB 90's in it.

JOSE

i'm going to a race this weekend and i'll ask neal haddon to take a picture of it and send it to me. jeff lutz, sgra had the tidalwave up of auction and steve leslie of the mississippi model boat club won it . the last i heard it was hanging under the drivers stand.

Latest posts

Back