1991 Edge pics and info needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the Angle Of Dangle!

It's an El Cee thing... Trust me, it's important
Tell um Scott, the angle of the dangle is proportionate to the hypotenuse of the triangle.
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png

After going thru all the work of making molds to make my Velasco 1/8th scale hull legal pickle fork depth legal for different hulls a few mouths back I heard the depth in the hull roster doe's not have to be met -- I was so mad I did not look into it , anyone building new boats might

Just saying

Henry

After going thru all the work of making molds to make my Velasco 1/8th scale hull legal pickle fork depth legal for different hulls a few mouths back I heard the depth in the hull roster doe's not have to be met -- I was so mad I did not look into it , anyone building new boats might

Just saying

Henry
With that said do you want more or less depth?

Just saying

Henry
Where did you hear that from? Seems to me anyway, that disregarding a scale dimension listed in the MHR is turning a scale hull into a sport 60. If one dimension is being ignored, what's to stop another from being ignored too?

I hear ya henry, but we can't do that here in the NW running RCU. We allow considerable fudging below the water line so that boats can be made more raceable, but topside we're still sticklers for the dimensions. I like it that way.

Anyway, here I've finished the offset motor mounts while waiting for a little more "g-flexing" to set on the bottom.

I know what you're thinking... That bow block angle is crazy! But in order to move it rearward for the aforementioned legality reasons, and in order to retain the bizarre flat-bottomed nature of Mike's extreme design, this is the way it's gotta be. As it is I did move Mike's air dam feature rearward in relation to the bow block, but I know.... It looks wacky.

But hey, we're gonna try it!

20161201_202246.jpg

20161201_204731.jpg

That's the Angle Of Dangle!

It's an El Cee thing... Trust me, it's important
Tell um Scott, the angle of the dangle is proportionate to the hypotenuse of the triangle.
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png
I always thought it was directly proportional to the specific heat of the meat ?

I think one or two of these photos are the same as Joe Flynn's

Last edited by a moderator:

Just saying

Henry
Henry, who'd you hear that from? Aside from the allowed tolerances as far as I know you have to follow the mhr.

Just saying

Henry
Henry, who'd you hear that from? Aside from the allowed tolerances as far as I know you have to follow the mhr.
From me - This is copied from page 2 of the NAMBA MHR rules

PICKLEFORK DEPTH For pickle fork hulls only. Pickle fork Depth is not a principle dimension as listed in the rule book. The dimension is listed here for reference only. This is the distance from the forward most point of the boat to the leading edge of the boat between the sponsons. Suggested allowable tolerance is +/- 10 percent.

It looks like only RCU has the pickle fork depth dimension rule listed in there rule book - As always the boat needs to look Scale but it says it's not an enforceable dimension in NAMBA. A local club can always add it to there rules like RCU has..... I would always buld a hull to meet the pickle fork rule but I would also be understanding of a hull that meets all other scale rules but is off by 1/4 inch in the pickle fork rule like some of Henry's hulls that have been leagle to race in other organizations - after all we are not seeing the turnout of boats that we have seen in the past and I believe we should be looking for ways to include hulls not exclude them.

As a side note IMPBA also does not enforse the pickle fork rule.

Marty

Scott before you get to much farther on that hull I would remove the bottom from the 1st cross rib behind the sponsons and shave the bottom to meet the leading edge. In other words put a break in the bottom from behind the sponsons. The air dam thing mike has put on those is not at all correct. Trust me you will like the way the boat rides with this change. My U-95 Gas Scale was changed this way. My CountryBoy is fast but was also changed this way but not as much. It has a hard time going slow and getting back on top of the water. Still a work in progress to get it right. I should have increased the angle of attack a little more. An air dam is only needed if the boat is sponson walking hard and caring the nose to high.

Yeah my instincts have been telling me that all along, but I was thinking maybe I should give the design a try.

You're killing me John.....

I'll think on it tonight and through some coffee in the morning. Hate to cut it now, but it'd be worse yet to cut it later!

Yeah my instincts have been telling me that all along, but I was thinking maybe I should give the design a try.

You're killing me John.....

I'll think on it tonight and through some coffee in the morning. Hate to cut it now, but it'd be worse yet to cut it later!
Unless it's a proven design, another option is test the boat with only primer paint. Make changes, then finish with color. I've seen many beautiful scales lifted from the water after a heat and the bottom was not pretty.
default_wink.png
omho

Awesome Videos. First time I have seen video of the Miss Madison.
Not to hijack Scott's thread but, with that paintjob, the Madison only raced at three sites, Detroit, Madison and Tri-Cities. Mike Hanson blew the boat over in Tri-Cities, requiring either a new or repaired engine cover. The three color faded paint on the side was replaced by a simple white stripe until the boat was given the tiger stripe paint scheme a few years later

Mark

Can you start a thread about the 1991 Miss Madison and put the video of the race in there too? That way keep this one on the edge. That would be great. Or I can start one too.

Thank you.

Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain that air dam better? I'm building a 6 scale Winston for a friend that had that same air dam and I thought it was a design error. I filled it in to make the bull nose look more like a conventional hull. BTW the kit is another ml boatworks kit.

Explain it? No, I can't. I've always felt that an air dam was a bandaid, not a design feature, so I am plenty surprised by it. With a very busy schedule this week I won't be doing much boat work so I have a few more days to ponder it. I hope some guys get on here and discuss. I need a little more confusion before I decide what to do

The Winston eagle doesn't have much lift to it anyway so I figured it would only be a problem at mill. I am not as smart as you but I also think it's kind of a bandade. But then again I hate adding lead to the nose even though I've seen speed and handling improve with it.

Back