1991 Edge pics and info needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmeyers

Supporting Member
Hey guys, my next project is the '91 Edge and I need some good pics. I've searched and found several online, but I'm hoping to find some better detail of the cowling and very specifically the cockpit location on the hull. If anyone has a good pic or two I would really appreciate seeing them. Thank you!

20161118_205349.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
scott,

good looking hull framing.

LH engine well ?

ML 145 1/8 scale "extreme" kit ?

Thanks Dave, yup ml extreme with LH well. Ultimately the motor will be 1/4" left of the hull centerline. I wanted to weight the boat slightly on the left side. Seems to me that whenever a boat needs a little weight it's always needed on the left, so why not build it into the boat? Who knows... Might be great, might be awful!

I goofed a bit by assuming the ml kit would be RCU hull roster legal, but checked and found the picklefork depth is not correct. So... The carbon tube seen in this pic will be the bow block and I'll just need to do some cutting and chopping to make everything fit. That's why I wanted some pics... Want it to look right

20161119_211419.jpg

I goofed a bit by assuming the ml kit would be RCU hull roster legal, but checked and found the picklefork depth is not correct. So... The carbon tube seen in this pic will be the bow block and I'll just need to do some cutting and chopping to make everything fit. That's why I wanted some pics... Want it to look right
overhead view of the original 145-8303.

I see that the MHR shows the 8303 PF depth was increased from 51" to 67" in '91.

ML's kit was probably developed from Newton's 145 drawings which are based on the original '83 Renault hull.

84-03-02.jpg

That's no different than the U-95, the 1987 Cellular One or the 1988 Miss Madison as all three had pickle fork depth changes. They changed as follows:

U-95 was built with a 72" picklefork that was reduced to 24" in 1979

The Cellular one was built with a 120" picklefork prior to the 1987 season. It was increased to 132" between the 87 and 88 seasons

While the picklefork was the only changes listed on the first two boats, the Madison has had several hull configuration changes:

1990) Added shoes for a 14" overall length increase

1991) Picklefork increased from 112" to 126" during the engine swap from Allison to turbine at the Budweiser shop

1993) Length and width decreased by 1" when the sponsons were rounded off

1996) Picklefork decreased from 125" to 110"

2004) Canard moved forward and made into a one piece fully movable unit

2012) Cockpit replaced with the modern egg shaped style

That's no different than the U-95, the 1987 Cellular One or the 1988 Miss Madison as all three had pickle fork depth changes. They changed as follows:

The Cellular one was built with a 120" picklefork prior to the 1987 season. It was increased to 132" between the 87 and 88 seasons

While the picklefork was the only changes listed on the first two boats, the Madison has had several hull configuration changes:

1991) Picklefork increased from 112" to 126" during the engine swap from Allison to turbine at the Budweiser shop

Mark, how does this pertain to Scott's 145-8303 '91 Edge build ?

Scott, please continue to post comments and build photos

Mark, how does this pertain to Scott's 145-8303 '91 Edge build ?

Scott, please continue to post comments and build photos
Go back and read post 8. I'm pointing out that many boats were changed after they first ran and, as shown with the 88 Madison, the changes can be numerous as well as quite extensive

Thanks again Dave, keep them coming!

Yes Mark I'm aware many boats have been changed many times, but Dave is correct... I'm specifically seeking help with cockpit location and shape, among other features of the Edge. Any input on this boat that you have would be greatly appreciated. Example... The wings were set back a bit off the transom, apparently with brackets or plates. I'd very much like some good pics of those features as well

A couple pics of the minimal progress.

Bottom shot is with a few pieces not yet attached, but gives an idea how it looks with picklefork depth increased to make the Edge legal as per the roster.

A few small changes from the design, reduced angle of attack, changed recoveries a bit, just some personal preference stuff.

Slowly but surely....

20161129_172638.jpg

20161130_150854.jpg

Latest posts

Back