1982 Pay 'N Pak Turbine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to get rid of the accutech fin and I made one of my own. The fin to me is a little to small for a scale. I can make you one if you want or post pictures of my setup.

I'm usually on the water over 2 minutes prior to the start since we run a 3 minute mill.

The fin should be as far out as you can get it on the right sponson transom but not to where the sponson's side needs to be modded to allow for the installation

IMAG0217.jpg

Just the new fin.

IMAG0218.jpg

The accutech next to the new fin. Mine is bigger and skinnier. I used T-6 aluminum.

IMAG0219.jpg

Skid fin angle.

Sounds good Samuel. Looks like my boat should be on the water in August.

You can leave the fin un-drilled. It looks like your bracket is different. I'd hate to have to re-drill the fin if the bolt pattern is a little off.

Thanks.

No problem. Pm me your address and I'll get it to you as quick as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished the fin. I'll mail it out tomorrow. I messed up in one spot but it should be fine. If you like it let me know and I'll make another one.

Rudder setup done. Rod is a stainless steel 4-40 threaded rod with a carbon fiber tube epoxied over it to add stiffness. Length is 16" long.

pakrudder_zpsaaccf96a.jpg

Is that where RC boat company says to mount the rudder? On the right? I think you will find the boat will keep the inside sponson planted better in the corners if it is mounted to the left of center. When on the right, the boat may tend to lift the right sponson more and cause the boat to hop in the corners. Ideally, you want the inside sponson to ride light on the water when cornering but not out of the water reducing the effectiveness of the turn fin. Of course, trimming the strut (boat ride) can help keep the boat planted as well as proper positioning of the skid fin but generally most people mount the rudder on the left side. Something to think about.

cheers

Rudder setup done. Rod is a stainless steel 4-40 threaded rod with a carbon fiber tube epoxied over it to add stiffness. Length is 16" long.

Is that where RC boat company says to mount the rudder? On the right? I think you will find the boat will keep the inside sponson planted better in the corners if it is mounted to the left of center. When on the right, the boat may tend to lift the right sponson more and cause the boat to hop in the corners. Ideally, you want the inside sponson to ride light on the water when cornering but not out of the water reducing the effectiveness of the turn fin. Of course, trimming the strut (boat ride) can help keep the boat planted as well as proper positioning of the skid fin but generally most people mount the rudder on the left side. Something to think about.

cheers

We have found the rudder port or STBD doesn't make much of a difference. Have two scales with rudders mounted on both sides, same type/style turn fin. both turn equally well.

Ask Steve Peterson how well my Coor's Light turns, with a STBD mounted rudder.

Just my 2C

how much water do u nitro guys get in the boat in a heat race? do u use auto bailers? we just use gorilla tape on out fe boats and hope they stay dry....

My Elam gets quite a bit inside since it's not sealed, other than the radio box it self. There is no true way to seal a nitro boat and still get enough air to the carb to get it to run. Many actually drill holes in the bottom to give collected water a way to get out while it's running and pass on the auto bailers. A wood hull should be closed up so that water shouldn't get under the deck while a FG hull should have enough floatation to keep it afloat if it dies

Ron, I use the auto bailers and have not had bad luck with them. I do not epoxy them into the transom. I just use a very small amount of silicone seal so I can just run a pocket knife around the outside of it and replace it easily if need be. I always carry a few spares. I do not paint the inside of my boats for two reasons. 1. The paint could flake off and clog a auto bailer. 2. It is just extra weight. Keep the inside of the hull clean and you will not have a issue with the auto bailers.

cheers
Yes, that's where RC boat company mounted their rudder on the boat they showed in their website video for that hull. No spec sheet was given, but Steve has answered my specific questions, like turn fin mounting, right away via e-mails.

With that being said, an extensive search on IW pretty much confirms you can do it both ways. I can not remember the specifics, but I did conclude to keep it on the right like RC Boat Company does.

How water proof are those water proof servos? Are they worth the extra cost?
A friend has been running one in a cat with good luck so far. Kinda depends whether an exterior servo packages easier for you. And it did for me with this boat.

Back