Trying to get a Dumas Pay 'n Pak on the water again.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Shongut

My dad has had this 40+ year old Pay 'n Pak sitting around and I would like to finally get it going. I believe it was originally set up with a O.S 40. Story is that the boat was run up onto some rocks and required repair. Basically we have a complete hull (At least what it looks like). I am mostly into planes and met someone at the field who knows about boats. He offered to set it up (for the most part) and I would just have to work on the body work and painting. He is a big advocate of electric power for boats so we might set it up for electric. But I will see what it is like with the O.S 40 first.

Ok, so my main questions pertain to finishing. My dad mentioned it was originally painted at a body shop with auto paint. I have been researching auto painting a little and it seems doable, although it is expensive. Sounds a little overkill to me. A flyer at my field is experienced in this type of painting and suggested I fiberglass the wood hull for strength. So I'm thinking about that too.

I was going to paint it all white and am trying to find a place where I can get the Pay 'n Pak decals for a reasonable price. Seems all the places that make decals charge $100+.

Anyways just looking for suggestions on a proper way to finish this.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Pay n'pak.jpg
    Pay n'pak.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Pay n' pak 2.jpg
    Pay n' pak 2.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 46
Is that the 30 or 36 inch version? I know Dumas made three sizes, the 30 and 42 inch Pak and a 36 inch Atlas, not that the paint job really mattered.
First off, DON'T FIBERGLASS THE HULL!!!! It's skinned with 1/16 inch ply so it's pretty strong already. If it was built per the plans and instructions, it's also very heavy so adding more weight isn't going to help it any.
My recommendation would be to take everything out of it, for now anyway, sand it down to bare ply and coat it with a layer of epoxy. I use West Systems 105 resin and 207 hardener straight. Others will thin it with various solvents, that's up to you. Anyway, put on a coat, let it sit for a while and scrape off the excess epoxy. Lightly sand the boat to remove any high spots in the epoxy(if you go through the epoxy, touch it up with more and repeat the process in those areas) and spray on a layer or two of white primer. This will serve as a color coat as well as a primer. If you don't mind painting, on the orange and black, order a color sheet from Newton Marine(Miniczar here in the forum) and have it scaled to the size of your boat(any printing or blueprint shop can do this fairly inexpensively). Now, shoot the orange and follow that with the black and clear over it(including inside the engine bay), painting done. Reinstall the radio and drive gear and go test. One thing I would also do is remove the Dumas hardware as it's not(and never has been) really good quality stuff. I'd contact Speedmaster and order new parts from them

Is that the 30 or 36 inch version? I know Dumas made three sizes, the 30 and 42 inch Pak and a 36 inch Atlas, not that the paint job really mattered.
First off, DON'T FIBERGLASS THE HULL!!!! It's skinned with 1/16 inch ply so it's pretty strong already. If it was built per the plans and instructions, it's also very heavy so adding more weight isn't going to help it any.
My recommendation would be to take everything out of it, for now anyway, sand it down to bare ply and coat it with a layer of epoxy. I use West Systems 105 resin and 207 hardener straight. Others will thin it with various solvents, that's up to you. Anyway, put on a coat, let it sit for a while and scrape off the excess epoxy. Lightly sand the boat to remove any high spots in the epoxy(if you go through the epoxy, touch it up with more and repeat the process in those areas) and spray on a layer or two of white primer. This will serve as a color coat as well as a primer. If you don't mind painting, on the orange and black, order a color sheet from Newton Marine(Miniczar here in the forum) and have it scaled to the size of your boat(any printing or blueprint shop can do this fairly inexpensively). Now, shoot the orange and follow that with the black and clear over it(including inside the engine bay), painting done. Reinstall the radio and drive gear and go test. One thing I would also do is remove the Dumas hardware as it's not(and never has been) really good quality stuff. I'd contact Speedmaster and order new parts from them

Thanks for your reply! This helps a lot. Not sure which version it is. I don't have the boat with me right now so I'll have to measure it later. The epoxy coating seems easy, I'm not worried about that. I'm more worried about the painting. I've been trying to watch a lot of videos on the two part epoxy painting process as it seems many use Klasskote paints. I would like to go with whatever the easiest option would be that is fuel proof. With the color sheet, you print it out on a nice piece of paper and use it as a stencil to paint on the graphics? That is a smart idea. Seems difficult but maybe I'm overthinking it.

That is why I suggested using primer as a color coat. Many auto body supply shops sell two part primers in spray cans that you just have to shake up. You may be able to get the black, orange and clearcoat in a spray can as well. Making a stencil would be one way to do the graphics. You could also use tracing paper with carbon paper under it and lay out the graphics that way, mask the areas off that don't get the color being shot and shoot your paint. Another option would be to do what Dumas recommended for graphics, that being to use orange and black Monokote, that is if you can still find it. What they said to do is cut out the black and put it on the boat, then apply the orange. After the graphics are on, you spray on a coat of clear over everything and you're done. The only issue with using Monokote is making sure the clear you cover it with won't ruin the Monokote. I'd test a piece first, just to be safe

That is why I suggested using primer as a color coat. Many auto body supply shops sell two part primers in spray cans that you just have to shake up. You may be able to get the black, orange and clearcoat in a spray can as well. Making a stencil would be one way to do the graphics. You could also use tracing paper with carbon paper under it and lay out the graphics that way, mask the areas off that don't get the color being shot and shoot your paint. Another option would be to do what Dumas recommended for graphics, that being to use orange and black Monokote, that is if you can still find it. What they said to do is cut out the black and put it on the boat, then apply the orange. After the graphics are on, you spray on a coat of clear over everything and you're done. The only issue with using Monokote is making sure the clear you cover it with won't ruin the Monokote. I'd test a piece first, just to be safe

Thank you for your help. This info really goes a long way. I should be able to make the decals from Monokote.

Latest posts

Back