1982 Pay 'N Pak Turbine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackout

Hope to build a 1/8 scale nitro boat this winter. Most likely the 1982 Pay 'N Pak Turbine using the epoxy glass hull that the RC Boat Company offers. I know I will have many questions down the road. Any opinions on the RC Boat Company hull and how it handles? What about the carbon fiber options and the fuel tank bay options, are they worth the extra dollars? I noticed in his video he had the engine mounted to the right. What are most doing with engine and strut positions? Thanks for any info or advise!

Carbon fiber looks nice but, while it does add some strength, isn't worth making the entire hull out of IMO. I'd look at doing the limited CF instead as those are the areas that will be most likely to take abuse in case of a blow over or crash

I just bought my first fibreglass hull from Steve G and it arrived last week, it

all looks to be of excellent quality, I asked Steve himself about the CF options and his personal suggestion was to go with the regular hull and with CF reinforcement in key areas, with all fibreglass products you will have some surface prep work, filling pin holes and mold half blemishes, all typical stuff, as for fuel tank locations and stuff, I've never been a fan of plastic fuel tanks as they've given me too much grief over the years, ever since I started using Walt Barney metal tanks I haven't had a single issue, also what I like about them is when you doing your build and set up, depending where your CG is working out you can place your fuel tank where you like or need it, this does mean that you will need to cut into your hull where ever you decide to place it, with having Steve do it and using the plastic tanks it's clean and taken care of already, boils down to your choice and preference. As for handling and performance there is one one other guy in our club who has one of these hulls and it works really well and it's nice and light, as for performance in general and for every scale I have had its final performance is always found in its set up and balance, always tons of testing and tweaking has been required and to find the sweet spot, a poorly set up boat is a pain in the neck,

a well set up one will make you smile, best advice I could give is take your time, think and plan out every piece and to get it as close to right before you go out for its first test runs. Check in with and talk to all your local scale guys, they are a wealth of information and knowledge and love to talk about their babies.

RC Boat company makes good boats. They dont have any more pin holes than any one else. the sg118 has really sharp sponson lines but the other hulls you may want to do a little work on bottom. Of corse I'm kinda anil about that stuff. Overall really good boats.....my 3 cents.

Hope to build a 1/8 scale nitro boat this winter. Most likely the 1982 Pay 'N Pak Turbine using the epoxy glass hull that the RC Boat Company offers. I know I will have many questions down the road. Any opinions on the RC Boat Company hull and how it handles? What about the carbon fiber options and the fuel tank bay options, are they worth the extra dollars? I noticed in his video he had the engine mounted to the right. What are most doing with engine and strut positions? Thanks for any info or advise!
In order to make the carbon fiber option viable (as in light and strong) it would have to be vacuum bagged and cured with heat. I asked Steve about this as I was interested in a Griffon Bud hull and he told he doesn't bag. Jim Putich and I laid up a CF hull last weekend and I was really surprised how little material goes into the boat when you bag and cure.

Craig, does this mean I need to bring a scale or three with me in 2015? I may have room for a couple of boats, just need a place to park the travel trailer ;)

Craig, does this mean I need to bring a scale or three with me in 2015? I may have room for a couple of boats, just need a place to park the travel trailer ;)
Yes, we'll hold a one-day scale race just for you. :) Plenty of room for your travel trailer.

I'll hold off on telling the wife until a couple of days before we head out so she won't have much chance to come up with a well-thought-out argument. She's already balking at taking a boat along to Arkansas in June. Does anyone else that runs there have a scale, other than Neil, or do we need to get Luc to bring some of his crew out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll hold off on telling the wife until a couple of days before we head out so she won't have much chance to come up with a well-thought-out argument. She's already balking at taking a boat along to Arkansas in June. Does anyone else that runs there have a scale, other than Neil, or do we need to get Luc to bring some of his crew out?
Tom and Cindy Driver have one that they plan to race next year. And so does Matt Smith. Neil has rigger fever, so not sure if he will get his scale in the water next season. Allot of the guys are stuck in gas, but maybe some gas scales in the future. Problem is the money involved for the scale classes.

I can't wait for '14, and to get my scale back on the water. Hasn't seen water in probably 20 years!

I have everything I need to bring back my 1/8 Atlas Van Lines. Is D1 going to have a class,again. Just hope we don't have all the BS that comes with the class. Like color, sticker placement,strut location. That class had more crying about a hull

I have everything I need to bring back my 1/8 Atlas Van Lines. Is D1 going to have a class,again. Just hope we don't have all the BS that comes with the class. Like color, sticker placement,strut location. That class had more crying about a hull
No B.S. in D1 Neil, just good racin with good friends.

1/8 Scale may be the largest class in our district next year, looking forward to it.

Tim

No B.S. in D1 Neil, just good racin with good friends.

1/8 Scale may be the largest class in our district next year, looking forward to it.

Tim
I like that Tim

Here are shots of my hull at Steve's shop (RC Boat Company). It's shipping today. The fun starts in a week....
default_smile.png

SG108Hhull024_zps782b1495.jpg

SG108Hhull018_zps1c3339c6.jpg

Just hope we don't have all the BS that comes with the class. Like color, sticker placement,strut location.
Even though it's been a bit since you posted it, care to elaborate on this statement? It raised my curiosity as the whole point of the scale class is to accurately as possible duplicate the real boat be modeled and that includes the correct colors, correct graphics and their placement, etc. etc. etc..........................

And to Craig- good luck with your build, the turbine Pak is a nice boat.
default_smile.png

Back