The dust & chips are flyin'

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! I just added more pics that I took outside. Will try to get out to the pond Saturday before it starts raining, weather forecast for this weekend sucks. Got to get her wet now as this is the very last chance before I head to Atlanta. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the new Smokin' Joe's will not be making the trip to the Springnats. Turned it over on the first run but it really didn't seem all that bad as when I got to the boat floating upside down the only thing that came off was the cowl & horizontal wing. That was until I picked it up and saw this-

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...=770&pos=53

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...=770&pos=54

The left vertical wing split perfectly on the seam line & that outer half sank. Looking closely it appears to be the result of a rather poor bonding job when the wings were made. The boat didn't even go in that hard as the little 6-32 nylon screws securing the verticals didn't break away. Unfortunately there is no way to fix this quickly as I need a new wing, all the graphics for that wing, paint etc. Guess I'll be a spectator in scale this year in Atlanta. :(

i was with don today and the pictures of the boat do no justice! It was truly smokin(no pun intended) very detailed and the turbine really set the boat apart from what i have seen..it is a shame what happened :(

master of domain :lol:

i was with don today and the pictures of the boat do no justice! It was truly smokin(no pun intended) very detailed and the turbine really set the boat apart from what i have seen..it is a shame what happened :(

master of domain :lol:
Don, I got wing made and can have them there Tuesday if you want some? I can glue them together tomarrow and overnight them to you. They are Jone style wing and you would have to cut off the bottom of them. ;)

Last edited:
Don, I got wing made and can have them there Tuesday if you want some? I can glue them together tomarrow and overnight them to you
Doug I appreciate that but there is just no time, at least for Atlanta anyway. The wings were poorly built period, you can see that the bonding surfaces were not even sanded & cleaned which is why it split so easily. Are these wings you have the correct Lucero wings? I will e-mail you directly about getting a full set when I get back from Atlanta as at this point I don't know if I can even trust the other two pieces. <_<

Don, I got wing made and can have them there Tuesday if you want some? I can glue them together tomarrow and overnight them to you
Doug I appreciate that but there is just no time, at least for Atlanta anyway. The wings were poorly built period, you can see that the bonding surfaces were not even sanded & cleaned which is why it split so easily. Are these wings you have the correct Lucero wings? I will e-mail you directly about getting a full set when I get back from Atlanta as at this point I don't know if I can even trust the other two pieces. <_<
They are Jone style wings (with notch cut in bottom rear of wing. You would have to cut 1/2 off the bottom of the upright.

I hope the everthing else is right,You have put alot of work into this hull for a problem like this!

Don, Sorry to see that on your first day out.

I can make you a set of Lucero wings that wont fall apart.

let me know after the big race.

PHIL

Don Thats just awful. :angry: Take a deep breath look at the good side you can fix it and cone back to race again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can give you a boat to race. Thats R/c Boating///

Be cool

Bob :p

do you want to run your (better) smoken joes that can be arranged....call me....still dont know if i can make it but will send it up with the crew that is going to atlanta...let me know....man sorry to hear about your first run,,,it has ruined my sunday am,,,we all know the hard work you have put into this project.

Oh...no... :eek: :eek:

Don,

If I can help.let me know.

I'm aware there's not much time,so,

I have new sets of Phils rear wings (raw) here and also,

If you would like the rear wings off of my Caspari SJ, you're welcome to them also.

That's also quite the generous offer to run your previous SJ.

There's no shortage of great people around here.

If I can help,you know where to find me.

I gotta say the offers for help on here, the e-mails & phone calls really say alot for my friends & fellow scale pilots. Sure takes the sting out of what happened yesterday. And to my good buddy Mr. Allen, I may be calling you later. ;)

I would let you take my circus circus to Atlanta but I know it is impossible for you to do that since your creed is "Thou shall not run any ugly boats". Sorry you had the blow over. ALL that shop time! You will bounce back though. You always do!!!!!!!!!! Seriously.....you can use my boat if you wish.

Thats why i did 2 sets of wings,i hate losing parts. Boat looks awesome, TRAILER im speechless!!!!!!!

Thats why i did 2 sets of wings,i hate losing parts. Boat looks awesome, TRAILER im speechless!!!!!!!
Sad part is I used to do that, a set of race wings & a set of show wings. Bottom line though is had these wings been built properly in the first place all it would have taken would have been four 6-32 nylon screws & it would have been back on the water. :angry:

I gotta say the offers for help on here, the e-mails & phone calls really say alot for my friends & fellow scale pilots. Sure takes the sting out of what happened yesterday. And to my good buddy Mr. Allen, I may be calling you later. ;)
What's up Don????? :) :) :)

Back