1991 Winston eagle rebuild project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
Here is a project I am doing for Julian C. He bought this boat in Evansville so he could get into the scale hydro class. It is a wood boat with a glass cowl and rear wing. More pictures in album http://gallery.intlw...bum=1176&page=1

Some of the work so far on the Winston, I cut out all the old radio box mount and I will use a new 5 inch wide box that can sit closer to the motor.

I cut up that rear deck so the tuned pipe will fit under the cowl. I will get a new mount and get your motor and pipe setup.

I had to cut the hull bottom corners to fit the metal tank in place. The cowl fits ok, the rear cover is ok screwed to the rear deck as it was. I will have to figure out some sort of hold downs for the main cowl section, it has a pin at the front that will work ok but there was some old latches on the cowl sides that look like crap so they have to go.

I think i will put on some small oring hold downs on the side of the air scoop in the back so it holds the cowl on firmly.

Looked at the wing, it will work ok I installed a 8-32 flat head screw in the verticals. I will have to clean up the wings and drill new holes to get the top horizontal mounted properly. I do have a question about that clear cowling for the drivers cokpit, how do you guys fit that clear part to the boat? I plan to cut out the base of the cowl for the driver so I was thinking of using epoxy or shoe glue to fasten the clear part to the cowl and paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
shoe goo works great. bring the glass part in from the bottom and goo it fast arrond the flange.. when i get ready for paint, i scotch brite the clear canopy also, mask off and do my painting, then unmask and clear coat it all, the canopy then becomes clear again.

magnets by the cowl pins will hold it forward, and some at the rear will most likely be enough, when ready to race, just put a couple radio box tape strips on the cowl rear for extra security.

Phil you should also consider correcting the front canard and flaps, the fixed canard is too big and the flaps too small. Attached is a shot of the same hull when it was the back up to the late '95-'96 Smokin' Joe's.

Not sure where this hull came from or who built it, I was looking at making the flaps a bit longer. Thanks Dan i have not delt with one of the clear cowl parts before.

This was one of the Preuse brothers hulls. I have a picture of it being held in its original Joe's paint next to the 8255 hull that set the IMPBA saw record (yes the controversial "Boat" SAW record). I bought it from someone up that way that got it directly from them...i had it for a while, never did anything with it, then sold it on IW, and that seller sold it to Julian. Its a very nice hull, lots of trick stuff for a nitro user was in there...some of which I had done away with...that was about 3-4 years ago tho!

This was one of the Preuse brothers hulls. I have a picture of it being held in its original Joe's paint next to the 8255 hull that set the IMPBA saw record (yes the controversial "Boat" SAW record). I bought it from someone up that way that got it directly from them...i had it for a while, never did anything with it, then sold it on IW, and that seller sold it to Julian. Its a very nice hull, lots of trick stuff for a nitro user was in there...some of which I had done away with...that was about 3-4 years ago tho!
Thanks mike for the info on the scale and yes it was a smoking joes scale before but I want to change that.

I sold it to Julian. I had it for awhile and started buying upgraded things for it to make it the Winston Eagle and just never worked on it anymore after. Then I bought a Scale York boat and saw he wanted to get into scale so sold it. I'm looking forward to following this build and seeing it finished. :)

I knew I still had the pic...Here it is! You can see in this pic just how short the "Controversial" 8255 is! haha

forsale038Large_zps7d3ce7f2.jpg

If the boat is between 41.75 and 43.75 long it's legal per all of the hull rosters, end of story. I'm not going to get in to the tail feathers debate as that is a no win either way argument

Wasn't ment to get into that debate. I have always had it called that boat to me and most know of it as that. The strut was the real debate anyways...End of that story.

Mark the issue of that boat was settled a long time before you ever started boating. But unfortunately, there is always someone that doesn't know the actualities surrounding THE BOAT that wants to start the argument again. SO...I suggest you do a search here in IW and look at what has been posted about it in the past. I am not going to give you the whole story all over again because even the dead horse is tired of hearing it.

So the Question is Who build my Boat ??? which one of the Preusse Brothers ? Please lets get this thread back on track i can care less about the "Controversial" 8255 thats not whats getting build here. But thank you mike for posting the Picture it looks Beautiful in the Smoking Joes colors but i prefer the Winston colors instead lol

\

Julian I never met them but I know by rep that it should be a well built boat. It might be worth trying to get a hold of of them to find out how they did the canopy. I had a number for Gary but I have no idea if it's still good. I haven't heard anything about them in a long time.

Julian I never met them but I know by rep that it should be a well built boat. It might be worth trying to get a hold of of them to find out how they did the canopy. I had a number for Gary but I have no idea if it's still good. I haven't heard anything about them in a long time.
Thanks i know anything they make is build very well i tried to call them in the PAST and no luck maybe they can get on and chip in on this build

When I get around to doing a Gas scale, its gonna be that Winston Hull, and Don will do the Joes!

The only problem with the color used for the Winston is that it has tended to fade out fairly quickly, relatively speaking, in the past from exposure to sunlight. I'm no paint expert so that may be no longer an issue, just putting out a word of caution about that particular paint scheme

Latest posts

Back