3rd channel remote initial settings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglong

Supporting Member
I need some expert advice on my 3rd channel initial setting.

Where should I start the needle? ie, screw needle all the way down and then back off 2 turns or is there another setting I should use.
Thanks in advance
Doug

What motor size? What flow meter?
Ideally, when motor is running on bench, there should be a slight hesitation when throttle is pulled full.
You can get close using the techinque above. Then test, test, test.
MIke

If you have run this engine with an inline needle valve, flow that needle valve. With the third channel servo at midpoint and the remote needle at mid point, adjust the needle to flow the same as your inline needle. This will be a good starting point.

If you have run this engine with an inline needle valve, flow that needle valve. With the third channel servo at midpoint and the remote needle at mid point, adjust the needle to flow the same as your inline needle. This will be a good starting point.
Motor has never been ran, it has the speedmaster vortex carb, I would like to know where to start the needle at?

Last edited:
So your motor needs to be broken in for sure. I have a BM flow meter so I will give you my numbers, keep in mind that each boat setup may be a little different. For a ballpark setting flow the needle to around 45 which should be rich. As soon as the engine starts richen the needle as much as possible to keep it running. Run at least 2 tanks on the bench before launching the boat. Before you launch find a needle setting like mentioned above, the flow may be in the low 50s on your BM. Lastly never expect someone else's BM numbers to work for your setup, find your own and write them down, if you change the prop or pipe the numbers will change. Good luck.

Do what Tim suggests. That should be a rich setting. Run the engine rich for two tanks, letting the engine heat up amd cool down. As the engine heats up and cools down, the parts begin to fit together.

Then you can start leaning the engine in, bit by bit as you run the boat on the water. Keep track of the setting with your flow meter and write down the results.

I hope you have an experienced boater friend to help.

Latest posts

Back