1991 Winston eagle rebuild project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the Question is Who build my Boat ??? which one of the Preusse Brothers ? Please lets get this thread back on track i can care less about the "Controversial" 8255 thats not whats getting build here. But thank you mike for posting the Picture it looks Beautiful in the Smoking Joes colors but i prefer the Winston colors instead lol

\
That is Bob Preusse holding the Joes, Gary has the Boat. They race every year and the Minute Breakers classic with the Siver Cup trophy race has been run since 1978, this years race is on Aug 17-18

The only problem with the color used for the Winston is that it has tended to fade out fairly quickly, relatively speaking, in the past from exposure to sunlight. I'm no paint expert so that may be no longer an issue, just putting out a word of caution about that particular paint scheme
It wouldn't be authentic if it didn't fade :p

House of Kolor SG-103, Molly Orange. Same color as the Neon, but without the fade. Its what my Lobster was painted with, and people that saw the full size in person said it looked correct. Mike
DSCF81131280x768.jpg

Bob is holding the boat. So I say him. Ive never known Gary to sell a scale boat. Still remember when Gary ran the Bud

Phil you should also consider correcting the front canard and flaps, the fixed canard is too big and the flaps too small. Attached is a shot of the same hull when it was the back up to the late '95-'96 Smokin' Joe's.
How can that be fixed Ferrette ? Cut, sand down, ??

Julian, the real boat was not red!! Call Don Ferrette, he can give you all the details about this common misconception. Or call me, I know too. Mike

Phil you should also consider correcting the front canard and flaps, the fixed canard is too big and the flaps too small. Attached is a shot of the same hull when it was the back up to the late '95-'96 Smokin' Joe's.
J, not a big deal, cut the fixed canard back about a third of current width on the trailing edge side and make a couple new flaps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
J, not a big deal, cut the fixed canard back about a third of current width on the trailing edge side and make a couple new flaps. :)
Thanks buddy.

Wow, I've launched this boat many times as a kid. Bob and Gary helped build this sport in the midwest. Back when being US1 meant something, these were the guys to beat. Bob replaced the Smokin Joes with the Sunny Jim. Set the oval record with it. Gary's white boat was the first scale to run over 80...

Jr.

Wow, I've launched this boat many times as a kid. Bob and Gary helped build this sport in the midwest. Back when being US1 meant something, these were the guys to beat. Bob replaced the Smokin Joes with the Sunny Jim. Set the oval record with it. Gary's white boat was the first scale to run over 80...

Jr.
thanks for sharing that info great to know. That means this boat is really old lol.

Julian

I'm guessing that photo was around 1998-99. Gary was still running the Atlas Van Lines in 97.

Age dont matter as long as its built right, I have one of Phils old wood atlas boats and all though its not racing this year, It still is a competitive boat. My son Chuck learned to drive scale with it. How old is that boat Phil? You repainted it for me in the early 90s. haha!! I know Bob built the boat you have, and he knows what he is doing. I may still bring it out at the Fall Evansville race as Chuck wants to race the Valcon.

Ken

The 82 Atlas was built about 83-84. That 79 Atlas I had was built in 85 has the original paint job still, refitted with new hardware and setup in 04 and took it to a dist4 and 14 championship in 05. Curt Powell in Evansville owns the boat now. Maybe this Winston will make a big comeback.

Here are some more updates of what Phil has done. The boat got a new cockpit installed and looks great, radio box has been installed along with some cowling latches as well. Engine mounts and stuffing tube/ shaft have been installed as well.

The boats taking shape thank you Phil Thomas for the great work you have done. Can't wait to see it finished.

Julian

Latest posts

Back