Zoom 21 Carbs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I hope these turn out. I have to give credit to the people helped make this happen.... Charlie for the zoom carb...Jack Goukassian (JG Motors) for machining and fabricating. My good friend Fred Schmidt for help with design of the motor mount and gear system. Chris Grim (True Spin Props) for all he does for everyone. Mark & Chris Grim for the bullet-proof carbon tub. Scott Bouchie (Cutting Edge Mfg.) for the pipe and fuel tank.

Don :)
Hey Don can you post some pic and info from the gear drive please :blink:

Thanks. Nick

Okay, I hope these turn out. I have to give credit to the people helped make this happen.... Charlie for the zoom carb...Jack Goukassian (JG Motors) for machining and fabricating. My good friend Fred Schmidt for help with design of the motor mount and gear system. Chris Grim (True Spin Props) for all he does for everyone. Mark & Chris Grim for the bullet-proof carbon tub. Scott Bouchie (Cutting Edge Mfg.) for the pipe and fuel tank.

don is that my old red head i sold you?shane

Shane,

No,this motor is almost 5yrs old and except for the head & carb is all stock. Yours is in much better shape & will be in the boat for the next SAW :D

Nick,

I'll post some pics of the gears & mount tomorrow. What info would like to know???

Hey Don. I will like to know who makes them, and how is it on a rigger. I have a 45 cat with a ops 45 gear drive and I like it alot,I was told that in a rigger it will bring up the center of gravity and the boat would be able to turn :unsure: mine was made by Aeromarine back in the 80s. Thanks. Nick

Nick,

The motor mount & gear concept has been around for a long time; but is used mostly in a underdrive arrangement. CMB offered one for the 21 & 45 motors, they are run in deep vee hulls in what I think is called FSR racing.(mainly in europe) Because of the gear & motor position the horizontal CG is higher. This is not good for turning :( (lower is much better), but then everthing is a trade-off ;) As you can see in the pics the motor sits higher than in a normal rigger. This set-up allows me to change ratios in about 30-40min.

Fred Schmidt & I designed and built this mount,gear assembly to be run in a rigger as an overdrive unit. It has taken more than 3yrs to get to this point, but I feel that to compete with the speeds of the FE's this may be one way to do so. :huh:

Don :) IMG_6731.jpg

IMG_6724.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

Hey Don. Thanks for the pictures and the info. Everything looks so simple. By saying its used as an overdrive, does that mean that you're using smaller props and you just spin them at a higher rpm? The drive that I used had 1.5 ratio and was using bigger props at a lower rpm. If I were to extend my pipe by 1 inch, I could have used an x472 on an OPS 45 engine on a 36 inch aeromarine cat. :blink: I won many races with that cat. Nobody could come close to me. What I like the most is the whining sound of the gears. On your mount gear, how do you get the gear in and out of there? Do you have a shear pin or a set screw? Also, I don't see any lubrication on the lower gear and it looks like you're using bushing and not bearings. One of these days I will build a rigger with one of them. Your setup looks really good and congratulations on your speeds.

Thank you

Nick

Nick,

It all depends on what ratio you use as to prop size. The higher the ratio the smaller the prop. So yes, smaller prop, spin faster. I have run as high as 66% and as low as 10%. On this set-up the gear is held in place by set-screws on a shaft running in needle bearings. What you see in the pic are thrust washers to keep the gear in plsce & not wear the mount. The needle bearings are pressed into the mount & held in place by the plates on each end. 2 holes on the top of the mount are for oiling the bearings. No lube is needed on the gears. Your 1.5 ratio is a 33 1/3% under-drive.(motor 26,000 rpm = prop 17,316 rpm) So a x472 should not be a problem.

In the post giving credit, I completely forgot that Jimmy Johnson layed-up the carbon tub :( Sorry about that & thanks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys, I have a new toy for your boats. They are not carbs but they are a nice addition to your fuel system.

These mixture controls use the popular OS remote needle assembly Part # LXCN 51. These mixture controls have been tested for over a year.

They are very precise, light weight ( the body is only 1/4 ounce), compact, and versatile in mounting and plumbing into your fuel system.

The mixture controls will be made in two versions for more precise control. One will be for the 12/21 size engines and the second will be for the 45/67 size engines.

The pictures below only show some of the many configurations.

They will be ready for shipping by monday, November 30.

The price will be $30.00 each plus the cost of shipping by your preferred choice. This does not include the needle assembly.

Yes, they will easily fit in a 12 size rigger.

Please place your order by PM here on IW or my Email address: [email protected]

Thanks, Charles

Mixture Controls 004.jpg

Mixture Controls 003.jpg

I still wait that when will you ready to sell Zoom .21 2 bolts carb for CMB 21 RS-7 Valvola??? :rolleyes:

I still wait that when will you ready to sell Zoom .21 2 bolts carb for CMB 21 RS-7 Valvola???
rolleyes.gif

Hello Allan, I will not be building a carb for the CMB 21 RS-7 engine.

Thanks, Charles

I still wait that when will you ready to sell Zoom .21 2 bolts carb for CMB 21 RS-7 Valvola???
rolleyes.gif

Hello Allan, I will not be building a carb for the CMB 21 RS-7 engine.

Thanks, Charles
blink.gif
Oh Well! Thanks info Allan
Hello Charles, why no carbs for the RS-7 CMB? Have you thought about a carb for the new .21 CMB back plate? Thanks, Richard D
Hello Allan and Richard, the design of the RS-7 intake makes it difficult to design a Zoom carb for this application. The carb attaching screw placement puts a restriction on the size and shape of the carb inlet bell. The back plate would also have to be modified to the new carb for a satisfactory increase in performance. This would be an additional step in the manufacturing process. I do not believe I could design and sell a carb for the RS-7 reasonably.

I have not had a chance to check out the new CMB 21 back plate and carb yet.

Thanks, Charles

Guys,

I have been one of the lucky ones to test this assembly, and it is as

great as Charles Zoom-21 carbs. Simple design and works great on the

12's,21's and 28's so far that I have tested mine on. Phil's Hobby has

a great price on the O.S. needle valve assemblies if you need them.

Thanks Charles For Another Great Product,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

Hello Paul. The Zoom 12 carb is still in the prototype stage. Several neck sizes could be avaliable but probably only be several of the common sizes. I will have to check some engines and see what sizes these will be. When I get to that stage, I will need some feedback from you guys. Charles
Charles, do you have anything for a .43 size mount, and about a .30 bore (or whatever would be equal to a .3 bore on a regular carb)??

Thanks,

Sean

Hello Paul. The Zoom 12 carb is still in the prototype stage. Several neck sizes could be avaliable but probably only be several of the common sizes. I will have to check some engines and see what sizes these will be. When I get to that stage, I will need some feedback from you guys. Charles
Charles, do you have anything for a .43 size mount, and about a .30 bore (or whatever would be equal to a .3 bore on a regular carb)??

Thanks,

Sean

Hello Sean, I am seriously considering producing a few 12 carbs. They have completed testing and they do work VERY GOOD. They will be later, as I am now building some other sizes.

Thanks, Charles

Hello Sean, I am seriously considering producing a few 12 carbs. They have completed testing and they do work VERY GOOD. They will be later, as I am now building some other sizes.

Thanks, Charles
I figured with the comment that was made by Mark earler about running .12 size zoom carbs, that you might have something in this size, but just as an FYI, it would be for a .18 that I (and my kid) run in an Mod RTR boat...

Sean

Charles,

I have lost the bubble on what carb you have available for what brand engines. Can you list the carbs and the engines they fit, that you have made, have now available in stock and what you intend on doing over the winter, with the prices for each? Thanks.

John

Charles,

I have lost the bubble on what carb you have available for what brand engines. Can you list the carbs and the engines they fit, that you have made, have now available in stock and what you intend on doing over the winter, with the prices for each? Thanks.

John

Hello John, the current carbs that I am producing are: Zoom 21 (.590/15mm neck) @$95.00

Zoom 45 for CMB 45 PPL Head @$100.00

Zoom 45 for Cmb 45 HR and MAC 45 @$100.00

Zoom 67 for CMB Green Head @ $105.00

Zoom 67/80 for CMB's @ $115.00

In the works to be produced are: Zoom 12 (.472/12mm neck) @$85.00

Zoom 21 for the new CMB straight induction engine $95.00

I am also doing Zoom Internals retofits to SOME existing OEM carbs, these are usually about $50.00.

All prices are plus shipping.

I am in the process of building carbs now. Non are ready at this time.

Thanks for the interest,

Charles

Hi there mr purdue lol!!

Can you tell me i noticed you have a green hed 67 carb and a 67/80 carb.. i assume the difference is on the bore dia..

how does the 67/80 work on the 67?

thanks

chris

Back