winston eagle scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rc painter

Supporting Member
can anyone tell me where to find information on the boat that winston eagle team bought from circus circus team, I have seen pictures of the boat , but can find no info, it was the pinl lady hull and the pict show it red and white with the winston logos. i ahve a scale boat that i built and painted years ago for a guy as this boat , he did race it in the impba,back in the early ninety's, and have aquired the boat, would like to put her back in the water. anybody with info , it would be appreciated

can anyone tell me where to find information on the boat that winston eagle team bought from circus circus team, I have seen pictures of the boat , but can find no info, it was the pinl lady hull and the pict show it red and white with the winston logos. i ahve a scale boat that i built and painted years ago for a guy as this boat , he did race it in the impba,back in the early ninety's, and have aquired the boat, would like to put her back in the water. anybody with info , it would be appreciated
You might wanna get ahold of Phil Thomas, he just started building that hull himself not too long ago. I'd check Newtons website for pics.

RC Painter,

I believe you are referring to the '91- '93 U-10 Winston Eagle Master Hull Roster # 8700.

The hull had been U-31 Circus Circus in '89 - '90. The hull started as the U-00 Miller American in '87, in '88 it sported U-31 Miss Circus Circus and U-31 Miller High Life paint schemes.

Attached pic 11 is '92 San Diego race, other three are San Diego '93 race. Is this what you are looking for? CHEERS !!! Bob

The Winston did in fact run briefly with the clown mouth scoop, I've got a pic of it that I'll have to locate. It also had the rear verticals where one was taller than the other. If I can find the pic I'll try to post it. :)

thank you don, would greatly appreciate that, I can run the boat as long as I have a pict in dist . 4
Here ya go, it's black and white pics but it's all I got. I also scanned and e-mailed the Winston press release full size that has the pics to the e-mail you listed on your bio page. Now 2 things to keep in mind-1- the clown mouth Winston ran with the non symmetrical Jones sponsons

2- the boat is actually fluorescent orange and white.

Number two has always been a source of great "discussions" but the reason you see pics of the Winston boats that look red is back in the late 80's and early 90's there were only a couple of film types that could accurately reproduce the orange without it looking red and that was if the film speed was spot on for the given conditions when the pic was taken. I did a TON of research back when I did my Winston lobster as well as the couple of Smokin' Joe's and even talked to a former U-10 crew member years back. One of the things he told me was that they absolutely hated that orange as it was next to impossible to match when doing repairs and would start to fade from day one. Also alot of the "press release" printed material showed the boat red as the printing costs were way more to print that orange color vs. red. They were very happy when the SJ colors came out in 1994. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Don,

That was very interesting. I had never seen the clown face cowl on the MHR 8700 hull as Winston Eagle before. The docs you posted say it's the first test of the season for the hull. Who's Who say the first time the boat raced, as Winston Eagle, was 09JUN91 Gold Cup Detroit. I have a bunch of these races on VHS tape so I looked at this race. Hull is the infamous day glow orange and it has the rectangular cowl scoop we are all so used to. I also agree that the hull was never red. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Don,

That was very interesting. I had never seen the clown face cowl on the MHR 8700 hull as Winston Eagle before. The docs you posted say it's the first test of the season for the hull. Who's Who say the first time the boat raced, as Winston Eagle, was 09JUN91 Gold Cup Detroit. I have a bunch of these races on VHS tape so I looked at this race. Hull is the infamous day glow orange and it has the rectangular cowl scoop we are all so used to. I also agree that the hull was never red. CHEERS !!! Bob
Hey Bob if you'd like I can send you the full size scans as well, just p/m me your e-mail addy. :)

So Don, what you're saying is I can make my Dumas Circus kit into a Winston Eagle by doing nothing more than changing the sponsons? I don't see a major problem with that as I have a set of plans from Roger that have the Jones sponsons and changing the parts to fit isn't a big deal :) If that be the case, I may have to look at doing that rather than the normally seen Miller and Circus. I thought about doing an American Spirit but that registration is just to labor intensive to deal with paint and decal wise :eek:

David Newton has pics of it on his photos website. I have that same press kit with the black and white press photo in it. I had a brief conversation with Jim Lucero a few years ago regarding another boat and I brought this boat up since he was brought back after splitting with the Muncie team in 86 to crew for the team by Steve Woomer when he bought it. He told me that they ran it in a practice session with the clown frown cowl. By the first race they had changed it to the boxier airscoop. HJ you may want to check with the RCU registrar before you go down that road. I think Roger or David had told me some time ago that it was not an eligible registration in RCU. That may have changed I don't know. Better check anyway.

That is good to know Mike, and per the R/C Unlimiteds rule book, page 2, posted on the club website:

3. Boats shall be painted, configured and detailed like the actual unlimited

with cockpit detail. The acquisition of proof validating a paint scheme,

cowling configuration, engine configuration or other scale details shall be

the responsibility of the boat’s owner. Photographs of the boat in the water at

an unlimited hydroplane event in racing configuration shall constitute proof.

Unless the boat ran in other than testing with the frown cowl, that WOULD NOT make the boat legal without the square intake cowl. I'll talk to David and Marty Shallenberg to see if I can get the official final word on this for both R/C U and NAMBA

Back