91 Winston Eagle

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hughes

Vendor
So I am building a 91 winston Eagle. I need to find out if PPG concept has a color to match the orginal paint used on this hydro. I want to use concept because it is what I ahve in the garage for painting other colors. I built a 1/16 scale back in day with testors paint. It was an electric and it looked ok. I bought a used 1/8 scale later on in my boating life. Now I am building a 1/10th electric. Bradley, you have a lobster boat. What did you use?
Thanks
Mike

Hey Mike, reach out to Kevin Trabolay in Calgary, he has the lobster and is right in the middle of painting his 91 Winston, pretty sure he can guide you with paint codes and types. The color Kevin uses is pretty spot on but is really susceptible to UV rays, he kept it covered up almost all the time except when running.

Last edited:
So I am building a 91 winston Eagle. I need to find out if PPG concept has a color to match the orginal paint used on this hydro. I want to use concept because it is what I ahve in the garage for painting other colors. I built a 1/16 scale back in day with testors paint. It was an electric and it looked ok. I bought a used 1/8 scale later on in my boating life. Now I am building a 1/10th electric. Bradley, you have a lobster boat. What did you use?
Thanks
Mike
The biggest drawback to HOK or other neons is they begin to fade almost immediately when exposed to sunlight making touch up a nightmare. Years ago I chatted with a former U-10 team guy (forget his name) and they HATED that paint scheme for that very reason. Back when I did my Winston lobster hull I used PPG DCC5094ALT Bright Tangerine. Gotta say it was super close, so close nobody noticed it wasn't the neon. ;)

WinstonEagle.jpg

Yeah Don, I know about the fading. I used to keep a towl over the top of the boat in the pits at all times. So much, that they never saw the big hole in the afterplane non trip that I had for 3 races. Just never got around to fixing it. Nobody notice it. LOL Ended up selling boat with the CA tape hole still in boat.

Reach out to Rodger Hooks Jr. He told me a way to help stop the fade at the NATS but I can't find the sheet I wrote everything down on.

Yeah Don, I know about the fading. I used to keep a towl over the top of the boat in the pits at all times. So much, that they never saw the big hole in the afterplane non trip that I had for 3 races. Just never got around to fixing it. Nobody notice it. LOL Ended up selling boat with the CA tape hole still in boat.
Completely off the topic, but there was a reason I chose BOAT for my 1/10 scale.:)
JD

Mike I know who has the concoction used on the real boat, Troys buddy Fred Stock just had the 1/8 FE Lobster boat built and painted by Bob Brackett. I’ll get back to you with the info

Thats enough comments from the FROG.........I like my orange boat. :p I went by the paint supplier today to see what he was able to tell me. He mentioned the SEM product that Bradley uses. He does not carry it any more. I was able to find it just barely online. Had to put a lot of info into the search engine to find it. Literally type exactly what it says on Bradleys pic. I now have a pint coming my way.

Same brand that Bradley shows a pic of, this might be the newer label.
The stop light 03228, this is the pigment that you mix with clear, hardener, ect.....The percentage will depend on how much you need to mix as normal.

Attachments

• CF273B77-BB6C-4114-87BB-A4A87263F091.png
    CF273B77-BB6C-4114-87BB-A4A87263F091.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 57
Thats enough comments from the FROG.........I like my orange boat. :p I went by the paint supplier today to see what he was able to tell me. He mentioned the SEM product that Bradley uses. He does not carry it any more. I was able to find it just barely online. Had to put a lot of info into the search engine to find it. Literally type exactly what it says on Bradleys pic. I now have a pint coming my way.
I went to ACE Hardware and got a can of white RUST-OLEUM. Sorry, just couldn't resist. Construction looking good.
FROG

Looks like the same kit I'm working on or should say have been working on.

Looks good Mike

Attachments

• 20200731_025620.jpg
    20200731_025620.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 20200731_025643.jpg
    20200731_025643.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
Rich,
8700 hull #. How long have you had that? What are you doing it up as? I found that I had to do a mod to the engine rails just like you did. No way to keep them at 4" wide when the cowl/canopy ends up being about 3 3/8". I just cut them off and move them in equal from each side. I see you just cut them off all together. I did not receive the canopy seating piece when I order it up. I will just build mine from plywwod.
Mike

Yes 8700 extended transom. The Winston but I guess its up in the air now. No seating piece that I know of, was making mine of plywood or styrene plastic if I can get a piece large enough

Back