Will 6 cells car motor push a Miss LLumar?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himmelman

Hi,

I've been very disappointed with my Miss Llumar nitro hydro. The engine screams away with an X432, X435, or Y535 but never gets on plane, just a lot of noise. The engine stalls at least once during every run - I've had Kyosho nitros before and never had a problem.

Do you think I could get the boat to plane out with a 6 cell car motor? I have lots of those and an Astroflight ESC. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, the boat is very small inside and can't easily hold 12 cells, or I would try a bigger 12 cell motor.

Thanks,

Greg

Himmelman,

I have seen the Lumar run and run quite well.. If its quitting its just plane lean.. make sure you open the needle a tad..

As for the cavatating.. do you launch the boat on plane or just set it in the water.. make sure you give the boat a good launch just to check if this is it..

Looking at the size of the boat i would say 12 cells would be easy to fit...

Keep trying and let us know if you get it going.

Grim

Like Mike said,.. sounds like the boat is cavitating. This boat like most any hydro has to be "launched". You have to nearly throw the boat into the water with a good bit of throttle. Plus some wax or rain-x on the bottom of the hull will help.

anthony_marquart said:
Like Mike said,.. sounds like the boat is cavitating. This boat like most any hydro has to be "launched". You have to nearly throw the boat into the water with a good bit of throttle. Plus some wax or rain-x on the bottom of the hull will help.
106245[/snapback]

12-cells fits just fine! We have a gentleman in our club who build one of these hulls for P-Sport Hydro and his takes off from a standing start just fine... It's one of the fastest P-Sports on the water to boot! Combo is a Hacker 8XL with 12 cells... That thing just FLIES!

I'd say no way in terms of 6 cells and a can motor, not with any kind of speed.

As for fitting batteries, have you tried two packs upright? Do you have a pick of the inside. Maybe we could help with a look.

himmelman said:
Do you think I could get the boat to plane out with a 6 cell car motor? I have lots of those and an Astroflight ESC. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Unfortunately, the boat is very small inside and can't easily hold 12 cells, or I would try a bigger 12 cell motor.

106236[/snapback]

Darin Jordan said:
anthony_marquart said:
106245[/snapback]

12-cells fits just fine! We have a gentleman in our club who build one of these hulls for P-Sport Hydro and his takes off from a standing start just fine... It's one of the fastest P-Sports on the water to boot! Combo is a Hacker 8XL with 12 cells... That thing just FLIES!

106327[/snapback]

I have built several for customers. The nitro version will not launch from dead in the water but, The electric with 12 cells and a Brushless will. 6 cells and a 05 motor will not work well. The boat is just too lean! Out of the water and on the bench when you pull the throttle back there should be a 1.5 second delay in throttle response before it winds up. It should bog a little then rev. With all that has been said by others you should be on the right track.

I just spoke to a customer that we sold a LLumar to. From a dead stop he said it will get on plane. He also has a proboat Miss Bud. It will not get on plane from a dead stop.

With 6 cells in this boat you will not be happy at all.

I agree with the rest that 12 cells is the ticket.

Thanks for all the help. I'm switching some things over right now. I think I'll use 12 cells - I'll have to experiment with their arrangement inside the hull. I have an Octura X640 that is not in use - what motor would go well with that setup?...I would prefer brushed for now because I also have an Astroflight 212D ESC that is not being used.

Greg

Hello,

I switched out the nitro engine for a 700 9.6 motor. I installed a solid 1/8 inch shaft slightly angled down with an Octura Y535 and the boat shot off from rest and planed instantly - now I'm impressed - it will be exciting to change out the motor and the prop...

I didn't think 12 cells would fit...its a little tight for the top to go on...but they're in there...

thanks again

Greg

I converted a Miss Bud to electric using a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem 22 turn motor and 6 cells (3 on each side of the motor) and an Octura X432 prop. The boat gets up on plane from a standing start and runs between 15 and 20mph.

Latest posts

Back