Which .12 motor for outriggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Leyde

Club Racer
I was set on buying a .12 TZ motor with the rotary carb and standard shaft but they are discontinued. :( I cannot find one anywhere on the net or at my LHS's. Everyone is sold out. Is there another hot high output motor that is very comparable to the TZ? Or do I need to buy this one http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXRUN8&P=0 and replace the crank with a standard threaded one. Which tower has for $25.00?

Mark

I don't know how much your wanting to spend but I hear the Orion wasp rev is a bad a$$! I think that is the one I'm going with when I get my next .12 finished. As far as the TZ the one that I have the shaft ws cut off right at the treads and I have not had any problems with it. I hope this helps. Ryon Shaw

We have TR's Ryon. Basically the same though. I would say the wasp if you have it to spend. Or another os engine they have a couple of nice pieces. Nova Rossi makes some excellent 12s

I just picked up a Nova-Rossi .12SX for a Bantam Rigger that i have been trying to get to run propperly for a year. Is this motor any good????? Did i buy stupid?

I just went thru all the novarossi engine's and didn't see a 12SX ? I also am going to try a novarossi I am waiting for it to get here and will post more info regarding it. I have been using a OS CVR .12 and I am hoping the novarossi will give me a little more power (we will see).

This link might help you figure out what engine you have : http://www.novarossi.it/products.html

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
IT will give a LOT more power.

I just went thru all the novarossi engine's and didn't see a 12SX ? I also am going to try a novarossi I am waiting for it to get here and will post more info regarding it. I have been using a OS CVR .12 and I am hoping the novarossi will give me a little more power (we will see).
This link might help you figure out what engine you have : http://www.novarossi.it/products.html

Paul

I spent some big bucks on an LRP but found out that it needs a small prop to use it in a boat. Tower had some of the OS .12 CV-R's in limited supply so even though it says discontinued, they may have a few in stock.

For those of you running car engines converted to boats, do you check and adjust the sleeve timing? In my experience the car engines need the transfer and exhaust timing raised 5~15 degrees.

Yeah, most of us do. I think most guys do this by shimming under the sleeve. Then taking the head button back down to where it belongs. Some use a slightly bigger carb as well. Some air cooled some water... Big fun..

For those of you running car engines converted to boats, do you check and adjust the sleeve timing? In my experience the car engines need the transfer and exhaust timing raised 5~15 degrees.

Never heard of shimming? How do i shim a TZ.18? Just picked it up 2 days ago and would like to know what the story is on shimming this thing if possible

you have to get some shims, typically brass. Much like the shims between the head button and top of the sleeve. Woods racing products makes them very nice and inexpensive. These shims will go under the sleeve between the case and the top lip of the sleeve. It makes the sleeve sit higher in the case, thus increasing the timing durations. The only catch is that whatever you raise the sleeve, you have to take the same amount off the mating surface of the head button to get the compression back where it belongs. You have to do this before you run the engine too. Moving the sleeve also moves the area on the sleeve where the piston and sleeve "break in" so to speak. If you do it after the engine is already broken in you will loose compresion because the piston and sleeve will now have a little tiny gap due the the sleeve taper. Shimming 0.015 to 0.020 is usually pretty safe from my experience.

Never heard of shimming? How do i shim a TZ.18? Just picked it up 2 days ago and would like to know what the story is on shimming this thing if possible

You can raise the exhaust timing to 186 degrees on a novarossi and set IMPBA records. If you are not going to modify the engine then it does not matter what you buy. Rod Gerathy has had good results from all brands by simply raising the sleeve. You can use piano wire from your LHS to raise the sleeve.

Last edited by a moderator:
That piano wire is a good idea. I'll try that.

You can raise the exhaust timing to 186 degrees on a novarossi and set IMPBA records. If you are not going to modify the engine then it does not matter what you buy. Rod Gerathy has had good results from all brands by simply raising the sleeve. You can use piano wire from your LHS to raise the sleeve.

preston,

would you care to elaborate more, where do you put the transfers and boost with the exhaust at 186 ? been playin with a mono, rs12 5 port.

Happy Holidays, Martin

What size music wire are you using? That LRP turned out to be an expensive dud so far as were the 2 Fantom's that I got. My O.S. and Trinity/Picco/NR can smoke that thing out of the box at half the price.

What size music wire are you using? That LRP turned out to be an expensive dud so far as were the 2 Fantom's that I got. My O.S. and Trinity/Picco/NR can smoke that thing out of the box at half the price.

i used some sleeve shims from wood racing..my exhaust is no where near 186 degrees though, but from what i read it has the transfers close to where they need to be..just trying to go faster ;)

Latest posts

Back