Finishing Parts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
Hi All,

I am in the process of finishing the .12 Blazzin, I was wondering what would be considered the best way to do this. First I need rubber boots for the pushrods which would be considered the best (I have tried the bru-line didn't really like them)? Second I need a switch mount is this what I should use or is there a better option : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXD664&P=0 ? I would like the on/off switch to come thru the transom. Third I have noticed that on some of the small .12's that there mounting the throttle servo with double sided tape, is there any special way to mount the rudder servo? Should I use 2/56 or 4/40 pushrod, I have been using 2/56 with no problems so far? Which Spray paint would be considered the best for radio box tape to be going on and off without paint removal, and clear coat? I will be using just one color, simple paint scheme.

Thanks Paul

p.s. If I have repeated some questions I am sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there Paul. I use that same switch mount and have for years. I certainly don't think that its the best out there but I've got about 3 of them and will probably continue to use them. I'm sure there are much better alternatives out there and maybe someone else will chime in and let us know.

I don't think that you'll have to use a 4-40 pushrod on your small boat. 2-56 should be fine.

As far as paint goes, its going to all be in your surface prep.

Hey Paul,

I can't answer on the first questions regarding setup as I have not set one of these up yet... however I will listen with interest as I am going to be starting my Dumas Hawk soon.. :p

As for paint, I alway dry sand, then wet sand and then I am using pactra lexan paint ( I have also used the Krylon Fusion and had adhesion problems on wood) After that all of my boats go to a body shop for clear coat. My first three have an automotive epoxy sprayed on and the last one is about to get a thermo set clear coat that a fellow modeler has been using on his stuff without discoloration or problems.....

Bill

Thank You very much for your response I need lotsa help...................lol

I am hoping by this weekend to get everything I need to at least get this roughed together enough to paint. Painting is not my cup of tea for sure, this boat doesn't have to be a work of art just nice and functional. I don't have a spray gun for painting so spray paint or brush is the only way I can go. Ok so I could put my own color on an the take it to be cleared by a professional, I will call around today and find out what it will cost to have this done.

Thanks Again

Paul

Hey Paul,

We are paying 40-60 bucks for clear coat.... I have one that is going out on Thursday or Friday and he said he would have it done by Sunday.... Your not that far from me so if you want you can send it with mine.....

As for the other colors...... spray cans for me!!! If the surface prep is done well, the paint comes out looking like it was applied with an airbrush.

I will send you a PM with my cell number so you can call if you are interested in taking your boat with mine for clear coat.

Bill

Im on the way to the pond to do some GPS speed runs and general tuning......

Paul, I've got some boats with the Dubro switch mount. It seems to work ok. For my more recent boats, I've been using the waterproof switch from Speedmaster. I don't know why, but I seem to like this better.

This is really a good morning, almost every question I asked today has been answered this morning :) You Guys are the BEST !! Any recommendations for pushrod boots??

Thanks Paul

Thank You very much for your response I need lotsa help...................lol
I am hoping by this weekend to get everything I need to at least get this roughed together enough to paint. Painting is not my cup of tea for sure, this boat doesn't have to be a work of art just nice and functional. I don't have a spray gun for painting so spray paint or brush is the only way I can go. Ok so I could put my own color on an the take it to be cleared by a professional, I will call around today and find out what it will cost to have this done.

Thanks Again

Paul
I can help you out as I am located not too far from you (NW IN)...I have all the equipment and years of experience...feel free to contact me via email for any assistance...all this paint stuff can become quite confusing...

Jay

Paul you can use 3M automolding tape for all of the servos without a problem. I use it on all of my boats including my son's LynxCK outboard which really loads the servo.

Hey Paul....I would go with the waterproof switch also. There are some accordian looking seals that work great and allow for a bigger hole thru the bulkhead. makes life easy because the pushrods do not travel in a perfect straight line. Use 4-40 all thread rods for throttle, steering and third channel fuel meters. They are overkill(which is good) and don't weigh that much more. Rods that are threaded on the ends usually break where the threads meet the smooth part. If you can't find them, go with dubro seals. For the servo mount, cut a piece of rc marine grade plywood(One eighth of an inch) a little larger than the servo. Then, cut little blocks of wood to position around the servo to keep it from moving around. Then, cut a piece of one sixteenth ply and screw it down on top of the wood blocks to keep the servo from lifting up. Now, glue the assembly in place on the floor of the boat. If you are only going with one color I would go with Klass Kote epoxy paint. Seal your wood with a coat of clear epoxy, wet sand with 320 grit, and then paint it. If you have any questions, pm me.

Ok I got the dubro switch mount and aeromarine boots, I don't like using wood screws so I got some blind nuts to screw the servo down to a board thats epoxied in (at least for the rudder, throttle I am going to try 3m doubleside tape). More than 1 person told me to use Klass kote so I am gonna give painting a try again, and with the paint being epoxy paint it should be durable ( at least hold up to radio box tape). I also am going to buy a cheap paint sprayer, do you think this will work : http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=47016 I plan on painting only what can be seen if you are looking down on the boat everything else will be natural clear coat. I am figuring I might have to thin the paint a little so it will feed , I am not sure yet but will see. I got the on/off switch mock mounted and tomorrow will mock up the servos and boots ........................so then its down to painting and little tweaks here and there. Ohh the antenna mount also :)

Thanks again everyone for all your advise, I should be building a 7.5 Hawk in a few weeks will need lotsa Help then ........... Yeah more than now lol !!!

Paul

Hey Paul,

If you need a good idea for an antenna mount, try this.

I always use a fuel tube nipple, a piece of fuel tubing(about an inch long), and a RC car whip antenna sleeve with a cap on it.

Put the nipple where you would like the antenna. Attach the small piece of fuel tubing to it. slide the whip antenna sleeve into

the tube. Feed the receiver antenna through the nipple, and the whip until it comes about an inch out the top. Then cap it.

Use mini zip ties on the piece of fuel tube on the nipple and whip side, also one on the cap. It is also good to dab each part with a bit of silicon. Now you will have an inexpensive antenna that will fold over if you blow over, and that is 100% water proof.

I like to avoid using the lid to the radio compartment to mount anything.

Another tip is to set your switch to push in to turn on. If it is pull to on, then if you get bumped, it will turn your radio system off.

Good Luck! Hammer

Ok I got just about everything roughed in now, gonna take it all back apart and get it completely ready for paint. I hope my painting skills work lol. Thanks Bill & Jay for offering to help with the painting, If I run into problems I will be contacting you guys for sure. I hope this epoxy paint works good, I would expect it to be really nice when its done .................atleast I hope so.

Thanks Again

Paul

Ok I got just about everything roughed in now, gonna take it all back apart and get it completely ready for paint. I hope my painting skills work lol. Thanks Bill & Jay for offering to help with the painting, If I run into problems I will be contacting you guys for sure. I hope this epoxy paint works good, I would expect it to be really nice when its done .................atleast I hope so.

Thanks Again

Paul
good choice with Klass Kote epoxy, since the demise of HobbyPoxy, KK is the only choice; superior quality...just finished my .18 bantam in gloss white...let me know if you need any help...

Thanks Again

Paul
Paul, you are way to fast for me to respond, You have lots of good info. I'll give you more if I have time

before you have other answers!

Push rod seals- Hobby stuff are great, I have some

Switch mount, you have the one to be used thru transome

Rudder servo, I use Hitec, 645MG.,laid down,horn vertical

Klass coat paint is hard to beat.

Thanks Jay :)

Mark I am using a hitec 85mg for my rudder, I am not sure my boat is gonna be the same size as yours but will it work? So far rudder hasn't really been a issue I noticed your rudder servo is at least 2x stronger than mine, but yours is also alot heavier and bigger (I am still gonna be a little limited on room). When I first built my little rigger I was told the hitec 81mg would be good, so I went with the next stronger. If I needed a bigger servo would this work : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXN667&P=SM I am using this on a .12 rigger????

Thanks Again Everyone !!

Paul

Hey Paul,

This is one of the strongest servos for size. The Futaba S3002. I have used it in every .12 boat that I have ever built and I have built many. I have never had a problem.

It is a little more expensive, but well worth it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXH287&P=ML

The S3001 will make an excellent throttle servo, as well.

These servos are extremely compact.

One extra thought. You should use a 6 volt battery pack with these for the draw a lot of amps.

Hammer

Back