Need Universal Receiver for my Airtronics MX3. Are these good?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyual767

I need additional receivers for my Airtronics MX3 FM radio. The Airtronics RXs are just too expensive from Tower Hobbies and other places although it looks like they can be had for reasonable prices on ebay. I've found these Hitec universal RXs:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCBC7&P=0

Has anyone used these? Are they worth the money or should I just buy the Airtronics RXs? I'm also planning on buying these crystals from Performance Devices:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...&I=LXGUT0**&P=M

Any comments on these?

I need additional receivers for my Airtronics MX3 FM radio. The Airtronics RXs are just too expensive from Tower Hobbies and other places although it looks like they can be had for reasonable prices on ebay. I've found these Hitec universal RXs:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCBC7&P=0

Has anyone used these? Are they worth the money or should I just buy the Airtronics RXs? I'm also planning on buying these crystals from Performance Devices:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...&I=LXGUT0**&P=M

Any comments on these?
I've got several sets of the crystals from them. Work fine in the micro rcvr. We have had quite a bit of trouble with the rcvrs that come with the MX3 and M8. Switched to the dual conversion rcvr, and totally cured the glitch and interference problems we were having. Haven't tried the Hitec.

What brand dual conversion did you use for your Airtronics TX?

Mike

posted by Bob,

We have had quite a bit of trouble with the rcvrs that come with the MX3 and M8. Switched to the dual conversion rcvr, and totally cured the glitch and interference problems we were having.
posted by Preston,

I am not a big fan of single conversion receivers either. Maybe this.
So, I can use a dual conversion rcvr with my MX3 TX that originally came with a single conversion rcvr? It doesn't have anything to do with the transmitter? The rcvr that Preston linked isn't that much more $.

When I lived in busy south Florida (Coral Springs), I had to quit using AM radios because of all the interference and glitches. I bought a Tower Hobbies 6 ch FM radio for my wife's airplane and I used it with great success and no glitches with my boats. It has a dual conversion rcvr. I bought the Airtronics MX3 later and I've never had any glitch issues with it. Now, I live in a more rural area so I don't think that interference is quite the challenge that it was in Coral Springs.

We are using the Airtronics dual conversion rcvr that comes with many of the airplane radios.. It is a six channel. # 92875/75 My radio repair guru claims its one of the best made by anyone. I've had super luck with them over the past 3 years. The cheapest way to go is buy a VG600 radio. Come with servos, switch, nicad, and the rcvr and crystals. Then sell the transmitter to someone. All for the price of a high quality rcvr. Also - Dual conversion rcvr crystals are different. The TX crystals are the same as your MX3 uses.

Do you need to change the Rx crystal when replacing the Rx with the Hitec dual conversion using the Airtronics TX?

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you need to change the Rx crystal when replacing the Rx with the Hitec dual conversion using the Airtronics TX?

Mike
I would think that you would buy a rcvr and crystal from Hitec to match the ch # on your TX. If they say it is compatible with Airtronics, you would need a dual conversion Airtronics crystal. They have a yellow plastic housing on them that fits the rcvr case.

You MUST use dual conversion crystals with dual conversion receivers. I would also match the brand receiver with the same brand crystal. The FM transmitter should work fine with a FM receiver on the same frequency.

The price of those Airtronics receivers would drive me to sell what I have and buy something different.

The price of those Airtronics receivers would drive me to sell what I have and buy something different.
Isn't that the truth :eek: !

So, if I understand this right then I use dual conversion crystals with a dual conversion rcvr and this combo will work with my MX3 transmitter, right?

BTW, what exactly is "dual conversion?"

Jay, if I had to spend that kind of coin for a receiver and crystal only, I might as well do what Preston said and get rid of the Airtronics and try something else. There is no way I could justify spending that kind of money. Heck for just $23 more, I can get the whole radio kit.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...&I=LXCHA8**&P=0

To outfit my new boats, I'll need the servo, switch and battery box, anyway. If a universal will work just fine for a lot less cash, then my wife is a lot more apt to let me continue this hobby ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I run the Hi-tec DCX dual conversion receivers with my Airtronics transmitters and have zero problems. They are a very cost effective and reliable answer.

Eric Canto

The Speed Shop

So, if I understand this right then I use dual conversion crystals with a dual conversion rcvr and this combo will work with my MX3 transmitter, right?
BTW, what exactly is "dual conversion?"
As long as the frequencies match there should not be a problem. Well, both TX & RX have to be FM, PCM, or AM.
It is my understanding that dual conversion processes the signal twice as to help eliminate any possibility of a glitch.

It is my understanding that dual conversion processes the signal twice as to help eliminate any possibility of a glitch.
Well kind of. A dual conversion receiver has two intermediate frequencies. They start out by mixing a signal with the desired receive frequency to get your first intermediate frequency usually around 11 MHz then they run that signal through filters that are tuned to a narrow (much narrower than the first RF stage because it must be able to pass every channel in the band) frequency then they mix that down again to around 455 KHz then more narrow band pass filters to only allow through the desired frequency and then the signal is demodulated to the pulses that your servos can use. So you get an additional set of filters that remove undesired signals. On 27 MHz I use the good old single conversion revivers that come with the M8 or Super Exzes in my case and in my Gas powered boats I prefer the Airtronics dual conversion units on 75 MHz. You should be able to get a good deal on the dual conversion rx if you get your dealer to substitute the dual conversion for the micro single conversion I believe the micro cost them more than the dual conversion.

Great explanation, Eric B :eek: ! Even though I've got an engineering degree, I probably still won't be able to repeat what you posted :D .

posted by Eric Canto,

I run the Hi-tec DCX dual conversion receivers with my Airtronics transmitters and have zero problems. They are a very cost effective and reliable answer.
Are you using Hitec brand crystals for Airtronics radios (or Performance Devices) or true Airtronics brand crystals?

I am definetely not an electronics guy so get the best info I can and go with it. I switched to Hitec DCX's 3 years ago on the advice of Pete Waters (Kraft Midwest) and have run rock solid since. :)

Back