Whats the best finish for the running surfaces?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilli

I was curious if those that paint and/or clear coat their riggers also do the bottom of the sponsons and ski? Would epoxy be a more durable finish. Does it even matter?

i paint it all. then rough up the running surface with 600 grit sandpaper in a crosshatch pattern. this also helps with getting the edges sharp. i have even done the tub, but did not notice a big difference.

Mike;

The main thing is to make sure that the running surfaces are good and flat (no ripples in the finish, ect.)and have sharp corners/edges.

Take your time and you will be rewarded with a very fine running boat.

Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
id paint it and then wet sand blocking with 2000 knock off the high spots and get rid of the shine. Be sure to keep the edges sharp.

I´m painting all bottom´s with "hammer finish paint", it´s working on all my hydro´s and mono/multiracing boat´s, surface looks like a golfball.

clean sharp edges & no gloss. there are products available for full scale boats, just for adding speed & reducing drag, looks kinda like black primer.

I just put water on the bottom of mine.... :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i have one jae with smooth finish of epoxy resin that runs good. i am building 3 more right now that i plan on painting and sanding with 600-1000. i was at the real offshore races this year and out of all the cats and monos there was only 1 that ran a sanded bottom, the rest were a polished and waxed surfaces, including miss geico which was running about 175mph and walked away from the feild.... i was suprised because when i ran my hand down the hull i could feel it stick to the bottom until it hit the sanded surface where there was alot less friction.

Back