Radiomaster radios

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Jones

I received a marketing email from a hobby joint that I use every now and then advertising the new RadioMaster MT12 surface (pistol format) radio. I haven't seen a mass produced open source surface radio in a pistol config before. Has anyone else looked into the OpenTX or EdgeTX systems for surface use?

Radio in question:
MT12

I'm 100% die hard Futaba for all of my heli and boating needs - I have used them for decades and really like their products. However, it's getting old that I have to spend a good sum of money to get a 'modern' system every number of years. A recent example would be the GPS sensor that I bought a few years ago for my boats, where I am running at 4PX. That $200 sensor doesn't work with the 4PX - but it will with the 7PXR or 10PX - which I do not have. I can't even upgrade the software/firmware on the 4PX to accept a GPS sensor.

I see these OpenTX systems on the various heli forums supporting **** near any telemetry sensor that you could want - and not ~$200 sensors, mind you. It has me seriously thinking about trying/testing one of these surface systems in a boat. Has anyone looked into these systems, or have you used / configured / run one? What do you think? Maybe a speed gun is the best answer?

-Joey

My son has the stick version and says he is getting the wheel. He says its the best radio he has ever had

It will be good to learn how it does around "nitro" models.

Even the Budget Futaba stuff can be challenged around nitro. (not talking about the screen only, the cases can be damaged too.)

The higher end Futaba systems have some great plastic. (maybe this is not important to most.. but its a big deal to me)

(remember the old Tactic stuff.. LOL.. around a nitro model the black would come off in your hands!).. was however a nice little radio for electric models!

Grim

It will be good to learn how it does around "nitro" models.

Even the Budget Futaba stuff can be challenged around nitro. (not talking about the screen only, the cases can be damaged too.)

The higher end Futaba systems have some great plastic. (maybe this is not important to most.. but its a big deal to me)

(remember the old Tactic stuff.. LOL.. around a nitro model the black would come off in your hands!).. was however a nice little radio for electric models!

Grim
Nitro can be hard on plastic but the mosquito repellents will destroy most plastics in no time. So I am extra cautious about it around my radios and glasses.

Looks like a pita to learn and setup.Price is good.I looked at the manual there’s a lot too learn.Differant terminology to what I’m use too only time will tell.

My son has the stick version and says he is getting the wheel. He says its the best radio he has ever had

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I've read differing reviews over the years and never really paid much attention to the openTX/edgeTX stuff. I do see a growing number that do like the systems. One good characteristic is the flexibility of them - you can pretty much program / configure it however you want, within reason. However, that adds complexity but isn't a deal-breaker to me.

Looks like a pita to learn and setup.Price is good.I looked at the manual there’s a lot too learn.Differant terminology to what I’m use too only time will tell.

For sure; I've looked at the various manuals as well..just something different, and I'm not too worried about that. You're right - time will tell!

Thank for the feedback everyone. Keep it coming.

-Joey

I've been flying with one of their stick radios (TX16S) for the last 3 or 4 years. Fantastic radio at a great price, EdgeTX is insanely powerful. A bit of a learning curve, but you can do just about anything you can imagine. And with the 4-in-1 models, you can use just about any RX out there, no more being tied to one brand and overpaying for RX's just to have the branding (looking at you Spektrum and Futaba)

I just got my hands on the MT12 as well (had been waiting with baited breath for an ETX pistol radio) and so far am very impressed.

There will be a lot of guys who are too lazy or stubborn to learn how to use it, and sell it after a few days of struggling which should make it easy to get a good deal on one "used" (although even MSRP is a steal IMHO).

I hope these radios go over well, as I'd be willing to bet that the next iteration will be color and touch screen like some of their stick radios. If that's the case, I'll have one of those on the way as soon as its dropped.

There is more functionality in ETX than any other stick radio on the market, however I think a lot of it will be lost on boat guys who tend to think "I only need 2 channels, what does this do for me?"

I just got my hands on the MT12 as well (had been waiting with baited breath for an ETX pistol radio) and so far am very impressed.

That's great! I would like to hear more about what you think of it after you feel you have a handle on it. You're right, though, at the price it is going to be hard to not try it.

I appreciate the notes of your experiences with EdgeTX and now the MT12. That's what I was looking for. I'm also betting that the color touchscreen will be the next iteration.

Thanks again, Mitch.

-Joey

It will likely not get "used" until spring, although I've bound one boat up and played with it a bit. It feels good in the hand, with a good bit of weight, can't say much beyond that really... everybody's different.

As for ETX, it's kind of like Linux. If you've been using an Apple for 20 years (where you can only do exactly what Apple WANTS you to do, so they dumb it all down), and you try to figure out Linux, there's a pretty steep learning curve. Once you've figured it out though, it's incredibly powerful and easy to navigate.

It will likely not get "used" until spring, although I've bound one boat up and played with it a bit. It feels good in the hand, with a good bit of weight, can't say much beyond that really... everybody's different.

As for ETX, it's kind of like Linux. If you've been using an Apple for 20 years (where you can only do exactly what Apple WANTS you to do, so they dumb it all down), and you try to figure out Linux, there's a pretty steep learning curve. Once you've figured it out though, it's incredibly powerful and easy to navigate.

No worries, I'm not in a hurry. I may end up with one myself before summer is out; who knows.

I've been a UNIX sysAdmin at a university for over 20 years, so I am pretty interested to see how these linux control systems are adapted into the RC community. I followed a good bit of the ArduPilot stuff, and that is impressive - along with all of the drone flight controllers, etc. It has been a disruptive technology, for sure, and that is kind of where I'm headed with this whole experiment.

In my industry, UNIX got absolutely killed by linux. I'm not saying if it's right or wrong ( I've made a career off of linux ), but I see that same disruption happening in other industries. I'm really surprised how long it has taken to get here, frankly. I've looked for a while for a wheel-steer / pistol style openTX radio. Mostly out of curiosity - I'm very happy with my Futaba gear. But what if......

Thanks again for your input, Mitch.

-Joey

*Edits for grammer

Last edited:
Back