What is the Best Way to Hold in a Teflon Stuffing Tube Liner?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCapaldi

Supporting Member
I have a .12 JAE that was set up to use a teflon stuffing tube liner. I've never been a big fan of them for all the reasons I've seen others post about (melt, slipping, etc.). The boat is already set up for one so I would have to pull out the shaft tubes to change to a setup...not really looking to do that if at all possible. I've got a new teflon liner and it easily slides into to the shaft tube. What is the best way to secure it? I've had them spin / walk into the engine in the past and I don't want this one to do the same.

Thanks,

Chris Capaldi

don't put it in just run the flexshaft without changing the brass tube, works for me, now I don't even start with the silly thing in the tube, I have even taken them out in my electric boats with no problems

Walt Barney

Chris,

When I get home from work I will call you tonight.

Need the right tools and lube and they are GREAT !!!

Daniel,

Most don't know how to install them or lube them properly which is why

they are having trouble with them. Done right they are the best driveline set up.

Talk To You Later,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Some split the end and fold it back over the end of the stuffing tube on the inside and tywrap it. Some scruff them and glue them in the tube but since it is Teflon it only holds so much and you can still get it back out if you had to.

You really do have to run with it or change anything to run without it except don't put it in.

Just gives the tube more room for grease without any real side effects. The one size oversize is a non issue.

It only takes one time for you to have one bunch up on you all wrapped around the flex and you'll know why nobody uses them much any longer.

It takes out the entire drive line and you will not even be able to get it apart with out cutting up the driveline in several sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't put it in just run the flexshaft without changing the brass tube, works for me, now I don't even start with the silly thing in the tube, I have even taken them out in my electric boats with no problems

Walt Barney
Best way is to throw it away . Run an oiler system , it is so far superior to any greasing regimen that exists .

So without trying to open a can of worms here if I choose to run a Teflon liner what is the best way to set it up and secure it???

sounds like Mark has an answer,., I stopped using them also.. never really saw the benefit.. I still use grease as the oiler doesn't fit in any of my setups right now. I will go to an oiler though.. pulling and greasing shafts is dirty and time consuming..

Latest posts

Back