What fuel are you have good success with?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technology fuel from John Otto is great also Jerry at Seaducer boats in Ft. Lauderdale mixes up custom cases to order. Price and quality of both of these guy's fuel's is excellent.

The best fuel formula I have evre used is 80% nitro, 12% ethylene oxide, 8% oil. It needles like 30% nitro, runs in any size engine, in any weather above 60 deg F. Try it, you will be very surprized!

Jim Allen

I have run Logge,Redmax,and O'Donnell. I have switched to GrimRacer 50 percent and it without question has performed the best for me. I was VERY concerned about dropping down to the 50% nitro level from the other higher nitro (60-65%) brands. Grim Racer fuel has outperformed anything thing I have run in the past. No loss in mph or reliability. My plugs last longer,bearing life has been extended, and the fuel is the same from bottle to bottle.Really good fuel ,try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"PowerMaster is mixing mine 50/50 castor/syn. It works good..." Hey Glenn, I'm glad to hear that. We were running Ritch's Brew here in Houston area until just last year. A number of us had problems with gallon jugs leaking and itm was geting questionable to get. We went to the new Power Master fuel, but I haven't run any as yet. RL drove to San Antonio and bought cases of it. Many probably don't know that Power Master is now being brewed by VP Racing Fuels. I'm looking forward to the smell of Castor oil in the mornin'.

Drove past Del Rio cut-off from I-10, heading to California a few weeks back. You're out in the 'miles and miles' of "miles and miles area of Texas", Glenn. Cheers!!! Bob

The best fuel formula I have evre used is 80% nitro, 12% ethylene oxide, 8% oil. It needles like 30% nitro, runs in any size engine, in any weather above 60 deg F. Try it, you will be very surprized!

Jim Allen
so you are saying run more nitro and less oil content ?? im i getting this right ?

whats the finished nitro and oil content ??

Last edited:

Jim Allen
so you are saying run more nitro and less oil content ?? im i getting this right ?

whats the finished nitro and oil content ??

80% + 12% + 8% = 100% So YES those are "finished" contents

why would you want to run 80 % nitro ?? anfd the oil content i think is very low also how does that help the engine ??

why would you want to run 80 % nitro ?? anfd the oil content i think is very low also how does that help the engine ??
Why not? Increased nitro amounts will not make the engine's RPM increase, but it will increase the torque, providing you can burn it without leaning the needle & de-compressing the engine. A well designed steel roller rod with a well designed cage allows oil amounts to drop to 6%, while reliably turning the engine 30,000+ RPM.

Nitro amounts above 60%, when mixed with methanol, can give problems with needle settings, plugs, high geometric compression ratios, etc.

Jim Allen

interesting i think that going that amount of nitro will also take the life of your motor and bearings down significantly. so what would you have to do to your motor in order for you to run that amount of nitro ??

interesting i think that going that amount of nitro will also take the life of your motor and bearings down significantly. so what would you have to do to your motor in order for you to run that amount of nitro ??
You will find the answers here. I would read this very carefully!

http://gallery.intlw...x.php?cat=10141; page 2; a completly reliable custom built 7+ HP motor.

Jim Allen

Jim Allen
Mr. Allen if I try it in my CMB stock motors will I be surprised?

"PowerMaster is mixing mine 50/50 castor/syn. It works good..." Hey Glenn, I'm glad to hear that. We were running Ritch's Brew here in Houston area until just last year. A number of us had problems with gallon jugs leaking and itm was geting questionable to get. We went to the new Power Master fuel, but I haven't run any as yet. RL drove to San Antonio and bought cases of it. Many probably don't know that Power Master is now being brewed by VP Racing Fuels. I'm looking forward to the smell of Castor oil in the mornin'.

Drove past Del Rio cut-off from I-10, heading to California a few weeks back. You're out in the 'miles and miles' of "miles and miles area of Texas", Glenn. Cheers!!! Bob
Bob, make the trip down hwy 90 next time and stop by and visit! I live right on the shore of Lake Amistad...amybe we can run boats or go catch a big ole bass or something!

Yes the PowerMaster is good fuel. I'm not sure if the "normal mix" is 50/50 castor/syn or if that is just what they mix for me. I heard they use something like 80/20 syn/castor for the normal stuff they sell (still at 18%total oil).

Glenn

I have used PowerMaster, Ottos Technologies, GrimRacer and Byron. I am loving the Byron fuel!

TL

"Bob, make the trip down hwy 90 next time and stop by and visit! I live right on the shore of Lake Amistad...amybe we can run boats or go catch a big ole bass or something!"

Hey Glenn,

You're on, but the next time I head that direction it will be by air - La Porte Municipal just blocks from my house. The 1496 back from Lakeside, CA to La Porte was too much for this Olde Boy. While fishing we can talk about Gold wings / Lead wings - Har, Har!!! My Father, Gus was a SAC pilot, so I'll be gentle. I wear Gold Dolphins, myself.

I have yet to run the VP Power Master but even with 20% castor it will have a smell I'll look forward to. I have the specs of what VP mixed for the cases we bought - I'll have to dig it out. I believe 80/20 is correct for this batch.

I'm a little concerned about telling this group to try 80% nitro mix described in above posts. While you know the properties of exotic blends, Jim - - I believe the average IW boater would be better off trying one of the more normal blends available from reputable fuel blenders.

I believe that Jerry Crowther took over Lakeside Racing Fuels when John Stevens decided to move North in about 2002. We ran the Lakeside Racing fuesl for years 40% nitho, 42% methanol and 18% total lube - Klotz with 2% castor. I alway was taught the nitro percentages >40% was difficult to maintain in solution. As I recall, Nitro Benzine (shoe polish) was used to maintain higher percentages in solution. Nitro benzine is some nasty material - don't believe the average Joe can purchase it any longer.

I had run Red Max years ago until we noticed some white globules in the fuel, that wouldn't stay in solution. Went to Lakeside blends after that. CHEERS !!! Bob

Jim Allen
I have tested it in stock motors from .21 to 1.00 cu in. You will get a surprise.

Jim Allen
I have tested it in stock motors from .21 to 1.00 cu in. You will get a surprise.
Where do you get the ethylene oxide? I know where to get all sorts of other stuff like Prope and etc. but that one has me lost.

Do you have to store it in a cooler? AND do you mix it before a run or when you initally mix a jug for the weekend?

Jim Allen

SURPRISE!!

LOL!!! You mean one big hole in the center of the piston.

"I have tested it in stock motors from .21 to 1.00 cu in. You will get a surprise."

Hey Jim,

I'm not at all questioning your results. But you are also not the average boater here on IW.

I still believe running a reputable blend is more beneficial for the group here on IW. With 80% nitro and your blend, I would think that needle adjustment would be absolutely critical. One lean run and most will be buying a piston/sleeve/and at least lower end bearings.

I realize my like of castor oil falls on mostly deaf ears, and lubricant percentages of 16% synthetic and 2% castor may seem old school to most. Were I not so lazy - I'd only run castor for lube. I assume Baker's AA, AAA, and Crystal is still being made. I would suggest the synthetics are in vogue more likely because they are less expensive than good grades of Castor oil these days.

Like Norm, I don't have a clue as to where to get "Ethylene oxide", and wouldn't know what to do with it if I cold find it. I'll continue to run them "peaking rich" and live to race another day. I'll work on hulls and props to get where I think I need to be. Modifying engines and exotic fuel blends will be absolutely the last items I'll work with.

Where's Duke Fox when we need him??? Yes - - I know.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Jim Allen

SURPRISE!!

LOL!!! You mean one big hole in the center of the piston.
There have been holes put in many pistons while using 50% nitro that my friend Tom Foley has been able to repair. I wonder what caused this to happen? Was this caused by very poor transfer geometry combined with a flat top piston? Was the engine over compressed or over leaned? Was the engine user a "pig that couldn't be taught to sing"? Do pistons that are used for high nitro purposes need a reinforcing web beneth their crowns such as the type used by airplane speed flyers (Frank Garzone)? When I used this stuff during dyno pulls that lasted for 2.5 to 3 minutes at WOT, I never holed a piston or even burned a glow plug.

The oil used was 2/3 synthetic (many different types) & 1/3 Blendsoll Racing Castor.

Jim Allen

Latest posts

Back