What Every New Boater Needs To Know

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well dont just stop there... who is this mystery company?

Sorry about your bad experience!

~James

Steve,

Don't quit because of one bad experience. This is a great hobby/sport. There are many reliable builders/suppliers that will virtually bend over backwards to help a fellow boater out, especially a newbie. CMDi isn't the only company out there doing what they do. This board is a wonderful resource for finding them. Ask around. You'd be suprised at what you'll find.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Steve,

Man.. Sorry dude.. We dont want to you leave the hobby.. Come on back and lets play boats.

RC boating is a different animal for sure. 90 percent of it is supplied to the hobby by mom and pop shops… I know.. I was one of them…

Tanks. Tanks 2U comes to mind

Motors. CMB Crapshooter comes to mind

Fuel. Technology Fuels

Cables and couplers hardware G+M Models

Props, Octura

Now Picco.. Hallam Marine hobby.

Most of these do not have websites and some never will.

Part of the difficulty is just getting parts and supplies.

Not tying to make this a ***** fest..

When I had Power Surge Racing Products we did our best to try to reach as many boaters as we could. We had a working updating website; we had an easy click and ship system. We had fast fill rates and good quality parts. It was a TON of work.

In today’s e commerce business model you have to be very carful about whose store you surf into. With the internet now days you can walk into anybody’s store, open or not and if not carful just click away spending with nobody on the other side of the counter.

I know Andy is working hard.. not sure what to say but I have never known him to just turn his back.

Come on back and play boats..

Grimracer

I know how you feel. I ordered boat ,hardware and prop, 600.00 plus on 01/05/09, my card was charged on 01/0809 and still have not received a thing. I know they make a quality product and have had good luck in the past, but bnow half the winter building season has past . IT is very frustrating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, ive been playing with these silly little boats for many, many years and hope that you will give this crazy hobby a second chance...you wont regret it! It really fills the void for me as i realized that racing go-karts, motorcycles, and even a stock outboard hydro (on a poor mans budget!) simply takes too much work and costs too much, even at the lowest level...and the age thing sure dont help..im 51...There ARE good folks on the business side of this hobby, but as Grim said They are not large businesses...I understand that Andy at CMDI is going through a rough time as in the past i NEVER had any problems getting anything that i paid for from him.....It is disturbing to me though, that there seems to be a pattern of certain so called boat and hobby related businesses taking payment and not delivering the product...this is WRONG and simply should NOT happen...the end result of this is someone like yourself saying "im done" and right fully so....certainly doesnt help an already lean hobby does it? i would emplore you to read some of the various posts all over this forum...95% of us crazies have an absolute ball with this hobby, and its UNREAL how nice and HELPFUL most of these people are...I could write a book on all of the great people who have helped me out and STILL CONTINUE TO! I would be glad to give you a list of the businesses that i have nothing but good things to say about, but ive already used up enough space.....I sincerely hope that you can get the issue resolved with CMDI as they are REALLY good folks, but i really cant blame you for how you feel...just dont throw in the towel yet, because you really will be missing out on a wonderful hobby FULL of good folks! Bill

I know how you feel. I ordered boat ,hardware and prop, 600.00 plus on 01/05/09, my card was charged on 01/0809 and still have not received a thing. I know they make a quality product and have had good luck in the past, but bnow half the winter building season has past . IT is very frustrating!
I am also new to this hobby just about 9 months it has took 8 months just to get my first boat in the water. this is not a hobby for quick gratification. But in the end putting that boat in the water and seeing it run was well worth the Wait. Now comes all the fun of making it run good. Heck that might take 3 or 4 more months.

Be patient it will be well worth it in the end.

As for CMDI Thar stuff is well worth all the trouble. You have to remember thy are a one man show trying to please the whole world.

Steve,

I think most of use feel your frustration and have been in the same tight place a time or two. CMD in my opinion builds the finest riggers a racer can order, but the finest quality riggers take time especially a SGX. I have waited in excess of 1 year for one of their riggers and I am sure 99% of the other CMD owners will tell you it takes months to get one at your door. Its worth the wait!

Unfortunately they are down to a 2~3 person operation and they have been hit by hard economic times and ill health. Trust me the Browns are trying to do all they can to stay afloat right now and can not fill orders like they used to.

Nitro and gas riggers are the toughest discipline and only a handful of vendors still produce them. You must be patient. If you need something now, look in the for sale section or go ask local Camarillo Pond Rats. Otherwise, be prepared to wait for a new CMD rigger. You picked the longest lead time vendor in all of RC boating, this is just inexperience.

Sorry to vent on you, but CMD has been getting a lot of flack when its not deserved. I agree they have prematurely billed customers for parts, myself included but they always come through eventually.

Tyler

Steve,
I think most of use feel your frustration and have been in the same tight place a time or two. CMD in my opinion builds the finest riggers a racer can order, but the finest quality riggers take time especially a SGX. I have waited in excess of 1 year for one of their riggers and I am sure 99% of the other CMD owners will tell you it takes months to get one at your door. Its worth the wait!

Unfortunately they are down to a 2~3 person operation and they have been hit by hard economic times and ill health. Trust me the Browns are trying to do all they can to stay afloat right now and can not fill orders like they used to.

Nitro and gas riggers are the toughest discipline and only a handful of vendors still produce them. You must be patient. If you need something now, look in the for sale section or go ask local Camarillo Pond Rats. Otherwise, be prepared to wait for a new CMD rigger. You picked the longest lead time vendor in all of RC boating, this is just inexperience.

Sorry to vent on you, but CMD has been getting a lot of flack when its not deserved. I agree they have prematurely billed customers for parts, myself included but they always come through eventually.

Tyler
Steve there are better riggers out there and faster I respect tylers opion there are many builders you go can too and get a competive boat It has always been that way at cmd and Iam sorry for any bad health problems they be having for I have been doing the same been boating a avery long time and this has always been the way things have been with them Steve you are local look around at other boats come to the March race at legg lake 7th and 8th and check out whats running

The best way to get going in this , or any hobby or sport (I"ve done a bunch of them ) is to buy good used equipment from places like this site . I would have liked to recommend hobby shops but most don't have a clue when it comes to this hobby. al most all of the zillion boats that I have owned , run and raced have been second hand . I love building new stuff but time is of the esscence for me and most others .Come on back . we'll get you going !

Try getting a Crapshooter. :lol:
-Buck-
Steve try giving them a call, remember your in Ca and they are in Florida so call at a good time 10:00 your time should work. I feel for you but at the same time have nothing but admiration for the entire Brown Family. They have had ups and downs,id order from them tomorrow and wait a month for such good parts from them. For them selling the quality of stuff at those prices we all can wait awhile.....Mike CMDI Ph: (386)208-1036

You guys keep sticking up for cmd and let's face it. Their service sucks.

Call the 75 year old, one man show, that is recovering from a major heart attack and order a new boat. Harold will have have your new Cajun Bullet in your hands very quickly. Order the hardware from speedmaster and a motor from Glenn or Stu at the same time and you will have a completed project in no time.

Concerns like this are why I refuse to take a deposit. My venture with the Lynx has failed due to personal reasons, and my inability to make it work the way I had planned on the lamination side. It will require entirely new molds to make them the way I planned, and that is not in our agreement.I have a few boats to deliver, but I am not happy with the way it has turned out, and neither is my wife and checkbook. Carl has someone else lined up to make them out of vinyl ester resin, which will fix all the issues I had by going back to chopped strand mat (not compatible with epoxy). I refuse to work with styrene based resins for health reasons. For those that I couldn't supply, I apologize. I'll pass the list back to Carl for the new builder to contact you if you are still interested.

Jon

hey i remember back in 03 or 04 when i got back into boat racing . i heard about cmdi from some fellow boaters i knew that they were only about 1 hour from my home so i went to see them . there operation was quite impressive for myself . john walked me thru a converted home and garage and showed me all they do . one section was all new parts on the wall then we walked out to the garage . there was the good stuff i remember. in one section was a fellow cutting wood from templates. for riggers, another room was a young lady cutting props , and yet another room with someone making prop shafts . i was very impressed this was quite a operation. so the moral of my story is they have quite a operation up there . they put out beautiful boats i seen these boats first hand please be patience with them you wont be sorry . they build superb riggers some of the finest ive ever seen . and the fastest . this type of skill takes time i know ive built many wood boats myself they take time to do right. i dont know what there situation is up there now i havnt been there in years but im sure there trying to get your order filled as soon as posible. ( long time friend of the browns ) dan h

Back