what boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitronewbie

I was looking through some of Chris Denslow 1977 columbia cups old scans he has posted on his website. I ran across a couple of old photos of a white hulled with green striping unlimited with the number 96 on it. I was wondering what or who's boat this was and some history behind it. I have never seen any other pictures of this boat?

That was probably the U-95 hull from 1974. It was the first turbine powered picklefork unlimited though, I have heard from a few sources, it wasn't the first turbine powered hydroplane. The rough history on this boat was it was built for the 1974 season using twin turbine engines of a smaller size than what is used in the modern boats. It caught fire and sank in Seattle during the Seafair race and, after being raised, was re-engined with an Allison V12. Seattle radio DJ Pat O'Day bought the boat and raced it with unlimiteds first female driver as the U-96 Miss KYYX in 1976 though I don't know if it ran the whole season or if the sponsorship lasted longer than in Seattle. The boat spent its career as an also ran, it's last race being as the Miss Executone in 1983

Pretty close, HJ. The hull in question was built by Ron Jones in '73 for Jim Clapp. It sported a pair of t-53 Lycoming turbines. Jim died in the spring of '74 & his wife, Pamela, campaigned the U-95 boat in the first 6 races of '74. It blew an engine at the Gold Cup in Seattle and sank. It was bought by Pete LaRock & ran in '75 as Shakey's Special with an Allison and in '76 as Sunny Jim with a Merlin. It was also leased to the Bud camp for the Madison race that year. In '77 it was painted as the 1st U-96 KYYX for the Tri-Cities and Seattle races, finishing 5th & 3rd respectively with LaRock driving. That year it was driven by Sue Williams to a new women's speed record @ 160 mph. It went on to run as Miss Orange County & Barney Armstrong Machine with owner/driver Chuck King of Calif and was bought by Bill Wurster in '81. It ran as the U-8 No Name, Miss North Tool, Miss Great Scot and Oh Boy Oberto. In '82 it became the U-8 Executone (the 1st). That was the boat, driven by George Johnson, that tangled with John Walters in the turbine Pay 'n Pak at the Seattle race. Walters was injured and the U-8 sank. 1983, as HJ said, was the last season for that hull.

The KYYX boat that Pat O'day owned was a 1981 rebuild of the '76 U-64 Vernor's/ Esquire/ Squire Shop. It was painted blue and green with white lettering, ran a turbo-charged Allison & was driven by Brenda Jones.

Back