Water VISCOSITY

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rolleyes: I figure that mean water test for water quality? different lake & pond? check on total hardness lab? I am wrong info? Can you explain how to work? :blink:

We use viscosity cups at work but they have a variety in the sizes of the holes in the cups. Our regular one says that it takes 20 seconds to drain the cup of water. We use them to check printing ink as we now have water and ammonia-based inks, no more solvent-based because of the EPA regulations.

What you really want to look at is what's in the water. More sand, silt, algae, etc. will give the prop more bite and the people that fine-tune as much as they can for maximum speed will swap props out.

I think that unless its salt water its insignificant and altitude pressure is the key to a sticky pond and a not so sticky pond.I also feel that shore line has allot to do with how sticky the water feels.

Could be wrong.

Grim
I don't know about salt water effect on a boat hull, but I can tell you that altitude pressure will mess

up a good runnin motor/ prop combination in a minute. Especially with smooth water. Put bad air with

smooth water together, and you have a slowwww boat. I had it happen this years Nats in time trials,

not just me , alot of slow speeds then.
I add .004 when the Air Goes BAD & the Humidity is Up...... Also the next size pipe as short as possible will free up the engine. If the .004 dont help out? You will have to give the engine back some Air/fuel from a larger pipe.

Waters turbidity ( Amount of visible or invisible solids in solution ) change it's viscosity slightly. Also the waters reaction to surface tension and wetting characteristic change with it's turbidity and PH value.

We are NOT crazy thinking about the why it's so .... just a tad beyond most to think so deeply about simple H2O.

Well Im sure the 3 R's will rip me to shreads for this BUT-

I believe some ponds are faster for a given setup than others(water quality wise)- ie

I have run my 40 mono at Brandon the day before a race in Orlando (airport pond) and nothing but the drive 90 miles down the road and 15 hours changed( air temp-humidity-sea level) other than , I could NEVER pull as much prop in that pond and always struggled duplicating the speeds from our pond to theirs :huh: I even stopped in Brandon on the way to Orlando once and had the same issue. My boat ALWAYS ran best at the old Tampa lake(you could see 25 feet down -very clean water) Might be just me as I'm sure one of my good friends will enlighten me ;)

But I think some water is faster than others.........

Now somebody else figure out why ??? and how to deal with it ;)

Andy

The "sticky water" is really an issue called surface tension. The tension (ability of water molecules to stick together and stick on other things) is electical charges within the molecule. Many things can either enhance this ability or degrade it such as disolved minerals, temperature, other pollutants. If someone had an Ohm meter that would read small enough, the resistance for specific lakes could be measured and a correlation set up for the strength or weakness of that resistance and then how it relates to the surface tension.

On the other hand, if this hobby were to get that scientific, I certainly would hope the purse money be proportional!

Cabin feaver shows itself in all sorts of ways!

I will admit I definately noticed a difference in the water tension at Seville OH during the 07 internats. the water seemed to stick like glue.

gh :D

Seville pond is at 1,800' (I think).. I know it cought me quite off gaurd as well.

Grim

The "sticky water" is really an issue called surface tension. The tension (ability of water molecules to stick together and stick on other things) is electical charges within the molecule. Many things can either enhance this ability or degrade it such as disolved minerals, temperature, other pollutants. If someone had an Ohm meter that would read small enough, the resistance for specific lakes could be measured and a correlation set up for the strength or weakness of that resistance and then how it relates to the surface tension.On the other hand, if this hobby were to get that scientific, I certainly would hope the purse money be proportional!

I will admit I definately noticed a difference in the water tension at Seville OH during the 07 internats. the water seemed to stick like glue.

Greg is on the right track here. Surface tension is much more important than water density when running on fresh water.

Many things will effect surface tension. There are devices for measuring suface tension.

More surface tension will cause a prop to lift more because the surface is more difficult to pierce.

Boats will launch easier and run cleaner on high surface tension for the same basic reason.

Every pond is generally different. There are many different things that effect surface tension.

When it comes to set up, there is definately a "home court" advantage. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Im sure the 3 R's will rip me to shreads for this BUT- I believe some ponds are faster for a given setup than others(water quality wise)- ie

I have run my 40 mono at Brandon the day before a race in Orlando (airport pond) and nothing but the drive 90 miles down the road and 15 hours changed( air temp-humidity-sea level) other than , I could NEVER pull as much prop in that pond and always struggled duplicating the speeds from our pond to theirs :huh: I even stopped in Brandon on the way to Orlando once and had the same issue. My boat ALWAYS ran best at the old Tampa lake(you could see 25 feet down -very clean water) Might be just me as I'm sure one of my good friends will enlighten me ;)

Andy
I think it's more a figment of you amagination, no one was at the Brandon pond to see your boat running well,

but everyone was present in Orlando to see your dismal performance!

Kinda like the old "if a tree falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear it, does it really make noise"

How ya doin Andy

Well Im sure the 3 R's will rip me to shreads for this BUT- I believe some ponds are faster for a given setup than others(water quality wise)- ie

Andy
I think it's more a figment of you amagination, no one was at the Brandon pond to see your boat running well,

but everyone was present in Orlando to see your dismal performance!

Kinda like the old "if a tree falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear it, does it really make noise"

How ya doin Andy

See I told ya ;)

(I'm sure one of my good friends will enlighten me :rolleyes: )

You must have talked to Pickles today- :lol:

Use your open water Thursday wisely, new lake and all- :p

Hope your driving next weekend is better than your spelling- thats (imagination)

Use it for something besides busting my shoes and you might be all right :p :p :p :p

Good luck in O-Town Rick.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
The "sticky water" is really an issue called surface tension. The tension (ability of water molecules to stick together and stick on other things) is electical charges within the molecule. Many things can either enhance this ability or degrade it such as disolved minerals, temperature, other pollutants. If someone had an Ohm meter that would read small enough, the resistance for specific lakes could be measured and a correlation set up for the strength or weakness of that resistance and then how it relates to the surface tension.On the other hand, if this hobby were to get that scientific, I certainly would hope the purse money be proportional!

Greg is on the right track here. Surface tension is much more important than water density when running on fresh water.

Many things will effect surface tension. There are devices for measuring suface tension.

More surface tension will cause a prop to lift more because the surface is more difficult to pierce.

Boats will launch easier and run cleaner on high surface tension for the same basic reason.

Every pond is generally different. There are many different things that effect surface tension.

When it comes to set up, there is definately a "home court" advantage. :)
There are certain chemicals that are "surface tension eliminators". Anyone use rain-X on your windshield?? Done right you eliminate the need for windshield wipers (it's not a wax). I'm not a chemist but what ever the formula is for rain-x essentially stops the surface tension of water causing it to bead up and run off without much force.

Not sure of the physical properties, but it probably insulates the magnetic field between water and the hard surface not allowing it to stick, like a magnet on a piece of wood.

Water molecules are electrically very polar meaing they have a distinct positive and negative side, which is the reason for tension to be very strong. Water can be looked at like a bucket full of little tiny magnets all stuck together.

From a boating stand point like Andy said you want the water to stick to the prop for bite, but it needs to let go of the riding surfaces (sponsons).

Go at it from that angle and you might be surprised what can be gained? ;)

gh

Has anyone ever made a straight pin float on water?

It's easy to do.

Get a bowl of water.

Carefully lay a small sheet of tissue paper on the surface of the water.

Carefully drop the straight pin horizonally onto the tissue.

Now gently push the tissue down into the water.

If you have done this carefully, the pin will be left "floating" on the water.

In reality the pin is not floating on the water, because as we all know steel is denser

than water.

The pin is actually being supported by surface tension.

If the water in the bowl had a very low surface tension this trick would be more difficult to do.

This is basically how a surface tension measuring device works.

It presses a length of wire against the surface of the water and measures the force

required for the wire to break through the surface.

Now you can see how a prop would lift more if the surface tension is higher.

Many many moons ago we used to check our hydrometer for accuracy(for reading nitro) by putting tap water in it -- tape water will read 60%

You got me thinking about this so I,m going to check my home tap water against Legg Lake water

Henry

Yes when we must Ohm the water before we launch, Cabin fever has arrived....... Maybe just a Good Spray of nitro in the face from a Twin would help at this point?? :lol: :rolleyes:

Yes when we must Ohm the water before we launch, Cabin fever has arrived....... Maybe just a Good Spray of nitro in the face from a Twin would help at this point?? :lol: :rolleyes:
Joe

Maybe you could just come on down to Fl. for a weekend and play in the Sun and NITRO

Walt Barney

Latest posts

Back