turbo plugs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMarles

I see a posting on 'the other forum' ( from which I'm banned) by Jim Irwin that on a .21 they have a gain of 3,500 rpm. Jim, If you are looking, you must have got the zeros wrong. Turbo plugs are good but not that good.. 500 rpm is the best increase you can get on a .21 by changing to a turbo plug head. This is technology some have used for many years and is well tested. On a .45 the best you can hope for is around 300 rpm. On a .90 the gains are minimal unless you go to 2 turbo plugs which gives a torque increase but not such good top end rpm. I would think the gains on a .12 must be a lot more than 500 rpm but never tested it.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't say whether higher comp can be used with turbo plugs because its so long since I started using them! (20 years ago but I was just a small boy then)

Mr Marles,

That whole thread got a little mixed up between Turbo-plug (cone-lock) and turbo style combustion chambers (Keeley & K& B) . When I read it, I assumed that Mr Irwin was referring to the Turbo style head(not cone-lock).

My experience is that they add lots of RPM...but wasn’t prepared to guess how many.

KB

Kevin, If Jim meant the turbo heads than I stand corrected. I have never tested those. It looked like a discussion on turbo plugs that went over to turbo heads and then back to turbo plugs. Language barrier I guess. I better go test my boats at the lake and look later to see if Jim has an explanation.

Dave

Dave,

Are the turbo plugs the same as the cone locks?

Bill :unsure:

Thanks Dave. ;)

Dave,

I ran RB Concept Turbo plugs in there .21 car motors but they had an unusual fit and seemed metric. Is there now a Rossi turbo plug?? What brand are you guys using for boats and on wjat engines?

I'm using the Novarossi Cone lock plugs - can't remember the exact number but I think it has a 7 in it :blink: They last a lot longer than a conventional plug so the cost isn't as much of an issue as you would think. Nice plugs.

Maybe the other board is the RC discussion listbot. One of the guys (Moderator) did a bone head thing that offended a lot of good people forcing them to come over here to this board..I guess?? :huh:

Steve,

Rodney summed it up well.

Like Tim I use Novarossi cone plugs. Cipolla make good cone plugs with very good performance but I find that if I leave a used cipolla plug in the engine between race meetings it sometimes appears to get a coating on the element. It still glows and starts but no power from the engine. Rossi do some conelock plugs too but the element vapourises too easily for me.

Dave

Dave,

What do you do with the plugs inbetween races?? Do you remove them and wrap them in something rather than leave them in th eengine?? Or are you tossing them out??

I leave mine in the engine, so I'm curious if I can learn a new trick.

I've been using the Rossi plugs in our Rossi .12 and they do last a long time. They are pricy at around $7.00 a pop just about anywhere. This site, www.rc-mushroom.com seems to have some of the best prices that I've seen.

I haven't seen a glo - bee for years B)

new_pa6.jpg

Back