Top Speed 2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chime, chime

I like the M440 a lot. I've never had success with the 215 on my tunnels. Props will affect handling.

JD
I have just tried a X460 and it works well. Just need to bring the diameter down a bit for the mac to rev harder, X462 @37mm diam was too mutch. 1440 was too flighty. So i will be prepping the 640 as my race prop for my MAC TS2

Dave
The best results I have seen on this boat is from an ABC 40x53 Sharpened, Balanced etc, no cutting!

MJ

hoping to try that particular prop one day.

Dave

the boat gets up on plane pretty qiuck, the engine runs well and she hooks up good in the straight and with the x or m440 i think it will work even better.

it's mostly the turns, even a wide turn will cause bouncing or hopping around the turns. this gets pretty violent at faster speeds with the engine coming out of the water and reving up.

I have noticed that this happens less when i make a left turn.

I am very tempted to remove the 1/2 plywood transom spacer and try that, but i will try my other props first.

Big red,

I squared my transom up using spacers between the plywood and the transom.

it's mostly the turns, even a wide turn will cause bouncing or hopping around the turns. this gets pretty violent at faster speeds with the engine coming out of the water and reving up.
It has been stated practically everywhere that some, (I think most) tunnels will porpoise

when things are out of adjustment.

Even the Lynx will porpoise if somethings not right,, I have seen the Lynx and the Shaman porpoise just because they were just not being pushed fast enough. It takes many adjustments and many individual runs to zero in on what it needs and what it needs is only going to be found with the experience you get by running the boat allot.

Many adjustments and runs have to be made with every hull you choose.

I've seen JD himself have his motor mount vibrate loose on a TS2 and had to run it 3 or 4 times to get back what he had, and he knows which way to adjust it.

So don't "think it strange" that it's taking you a long time to find it,, everybody goes thru this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chime, chime

I like the M440 a lot. I've never had success with the 215 on my tunnels. Props will affect handling.

JD

Boy if you can turn an X460 or X 462 you have one hell of an EBAY engine there!

I have just tried a X460 and it works well. Just need to bring the diameter down a bit for the mac to rev harder, X462 @37mm diam was too mutch. 1440 was too flighty. So i will be prepping the 640 as my race prop for my MAC TS2

Dave

Chime, chime

JD

Boy if you can turn an X460 or X 462 you have one hell of an EBAY engine there!

Dave

some of us suffer from typing issues. but i would not mind if my engine could push a 640!!!!!

tonight i re-balanced at 32% and empty tank it took aprox 2 oz more to balance for atotal of 1.25oz in the forward portion of the slot under the canopy and 2.75oz on the inside of the canopy that is only temporarily fastened.

i also sharpened and balanced a M440 if it's nice tomorrow i'll test and post up.

thanks for all the help

terry

the boat gets up on plane pretty qiuck, the engine runs well and she hooks up good in the straight and with the x or m440 i think it will work even better.

I have noticed that this happens less when i make a left turn.

I am very tempted to remove the 1/2 plywood transom spacer and try that, but i will try my other props first.

Big red,

I squared my transom up using spacers between the plywood and the transom.

I have two of the Tops Speeds that are my 2 Nephews both with K&B SS for power. The first one was setup with the spacer and it bounces in the turns at times. The second boat was setup without the spacer and it does not bounce in the turns. Last weekend was the first run for it and I liked what I saw so I set the other boat up without the spacer and will be back out testing with the younsters this weekend.

"some of us suffer from typing issues. but i would not mind if my engine could push a 640!!!!!"

Dave,

It will be great info if the Mac o/b likes the 640,, I would like to hear how that works.

I use a 37.5mm and a 38.7mm X640 on my latest mod TT's. The TT on the Lynx just loves

that prop,, and its funny, the TT's always did like the 640 all the way thru the engines

developement with me.

I'm not sure on the Mac though wether it's gonna let the engine "wing-up" enough,,

the Mac can really rev from what I've seen.

I still haven't ran mine thats on a O.S. XM lower unit,,still working on a couple head

buttons for it. (in spare, spare time)

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried the m 440 and did not seem to find the sweet spot on the boat, the engine was slower and not as smooth so i thought it was the engine.I chased the needle around for a while, motor out, in, up, down, could not get a good fast run.

It bounce less in the turns with the m440 but i also re-balanced at 32% which meant adding more weight.

i put the p215 back on and it ran faster in the straights but still bounced around the turns so then i started to add weight when i broke a flex cable.

I am re-glueing one of my brass inserts tonight and also removing the 1/2' plywood spacer.

I might get to try it tomorrow but i have a new miss vegas arriving and i'll be focusing on that one for a while

Hopefully with more success. :rolleyes:

i tried the m 440 and did not seem to find the sweet spot on the boat, the engine was slower and not as smooth so i thought it was the engine.I chased the needle around for a while, motor out, in, up, down, could not get a good fast run.

It bounce less in the turns with the m440 but i also re-balanced at 32% which meant adding more weight.

i put the p215 back on and it ran faster in the straights but still bounced around the turns so then i started to add weight when i broke a flex cable.

I am re-glueing one of my brass inserts tonight and also removing the 1/2' plywood spacer.

I might get to try it tomorrow but i have a new miss vegas arriving and i'll be focusing on that one for a while

Hopefully with more success. :rolleyes:
Give the spacer a shot.. who knows it may runn better shorter or who knows maybe longer... BTW my engine is way further back than average due to a custom engine mount and still got a fair setup till I had to send the boat back...

Let us know about the vegas... I have a friend that is building a hydro... He went kinda crazy... it's he's first boat, he's own design out of fiberglass =P He may use some of the HW out of the vegas... not sure what he will do..

Javier

I removed the 1/2 spacer and she wanted to bounce around the corners badly.

I rmoved some weight from the canopy and it got better then I removed all of the weight and picked up speed and the bouncing still occured.

The boat turns a lot better to the left but.Is this due to prop wash or engine torque?

I tucked the motor under farther and went too far so now it it is flat and corners pretty well buy have no power in the straights.

I am going to try the M 440 on the motor at this setting to see what happens since it is turning quite well but is slow.

It became dark and testing was over.I will bring the prop away from the transom so it is not tucked in so much and try it when I get a chance.

Terry

should I leave the thrust angle alone and try coming straight up with the prop/engine??

remember, when you change the angle of the motor, you are also effectively changing the motor height. Dont be afraid to jack the motor height up, I like to start too high and then work my way down...

~James

got question guys,,,i noticed a difference of 8 mm wider the left side compare to the right side, measurement from the inner edge of spoonson towards the canopy side. is this suppose to be?. i got a pic but it won't upload....try to look at the orange ts2 above it is noticeable...u can see it easy when recovery pads is installed..

Here is what I have done so far to the TS2. Sanded down the bottom of the sponsons this far so far, and it still isnt PERFECTLY flat.

RodneyPierce,

did u ever tried running it after u flattened the bottom sponson? how is it, just wanna know...any significant change particularly hooking during turns?..thanks

jul

It bounced abit less on the straight, and my boat never did hook. But after all that work, I still wasnt satisfied with it, so it hit the shelf. I think spacing the motor out would be a good idea as teh boat is designed for a OS motor (this if you are running the KB)

Topfuel

Mate if this boat was made so perfect what would we have to talk about (good reading)

Thanks

Brad

PS: Learnt a great deal thanks (topfuel)

Back