Top Speed 2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h20ski

I have a HTB 290 that runs like its on rails - to the point that I almost don't feel like tinkering with the TS2 I've been trying to dial in.

I've tried everything that I can think of and the boat still bounces. It's very noticeable in smooth conditions and less when there is a small ripple.

Here is what I've tried

Props, Octura 440 and Prather 215

Weight - started with 2 oz and worked up to 3.5

Thrust - neutral to slighlty negative.

Motor at 3/16, I lowered it, it helped slighlty but the boat was much slower.

Through all of these various combinations, I'm not coming up with anything that works.

Now here is the puzzler

I finally checked the sponsons. The right sponson is nice and straight. The left sponson curves up towards the transom end, maybe an 1/8 of an inch. Could this be the problem or does anybody else have some suggestions. I'm about ready to give up on this hull.

Thanks

Jim

h20ski

That is the problem with the boat.Both sides should be flat with no low spots and what the boat is doing is sucking down then releasing causing the boat not to run smooth.What you need to do is get a flat board 3inches wide and 12 inches long and put 220 sandpaper on it and sand starting at the front of the boat to the rear in one stroke at a time untill you get it flat.

Dave Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar problem with my TS2 bouncing... I've checked the sponsons but they seem ok so I tried adding more weight on the nose and all it did was slap harder into the water. I did read on another thread about 3 guys that had 3 TS2 boats each one with different engines and all were able to run best with no weight so I tried that and it performed better... still some bounce at low/medium speeds but at high speed it is smooth. Maybe since the hull was mostly in the air the sponson could not cause it to bounce =)

I have a similar problem with my TS2 bouncing... I've checked the sponsons but they seem ok so I tried adding more weight on the nose and all it did was slap harder into the water. I did read on another thread about 3 guys that had 3 TS2 boats each one with different engines and all were able to run best with no weight so I tried that and it performed better... still some bounce at low/medium speeds but at high speed it is smooth. Maybe since the hull was mostly in the air the sponson could not cause it to bounce =)
Thanks - I'll try it with no weight and see what happens. The other suggestion is sanding the hull to make it flat. I'm not sure I could take off that amount of material.

Jim

h20ski

That is the problem with the boat.Both sides should be flat with no low spots and what the boat is doing is sucking down then releasing causing the boat not to run smooth.What you need to do is get a flat board 3inches wide and 12 inches long and put 220 sandpaper on it and sand starting at the front of the boat to the rear in one stroke at a time untill you get it flat.

Dave Roach
Needs to Be Said Again, and I'll keep doing this every day until it sinks in.

A TS2 won the last big race in Australia I do believe in that class,,The boat has potential,,

every seasoned racer puts his hull thru this process, and yes,, even the Lynx hull gets

this treatment. Get'er Done!

h20ski

Dave Roach
Needs to Be Said Again, and I'll keep doing this every day until it sinks in.

A TS2 won the last big race in Australia I do believe in that class,,The boat has potential,,

every seasoned racer puts his hull thru this process, and yes,, even the Lynx hull gets

this treatment. Get'er Done!
Thats 3----Type in "Blueprinting a Tunnel Hull" on a search, you will find stuff there, VansRacing

use to have detailed info on this subject. The bottom of the boat is ALL!, if it ain't right, don't matter what motor you use or what adjustments you make it's still gonna act weird.

It has to be the most "overlooked" area concerning new boaters,,we all want a pretty, pristine

new looking bottom of the boat,, but checkout the boat running surfaces of guys that race.

Usually NOT the "pretty,pristine" look,, and they don't even repaint them,,but they are the ones

going fast and winning races with Good handling boats.

Thanks - I'll try it with no weight and see what happens. The other suggestion is sanding the hull to make it flat. I'm not sure I could take off that amount of material.

Jim
Like it was mentioned if the Hull is defective and still under the first 90 days that aquacraft covers it you may want to talk to them about it... Also when you mentioned it curves up 1/8 of an inch is the curve 1/8 away from being flat? or curves up a little at the last 1/8 of the sponson?

I believe I also read somewhere here about sanding and using bondo to fill the imperfections... I'm still learning alot so the input from a veteran will be of more help to us =)

Jim
Like it was mentioned if the Hull is defective and still under the first 90 days that aquacraft covers it you may want to talk to them about it... Also when you mentioned it curves up 1/8 of an inch is the curve 1/8 away from being flat? or curves up a little at the last 1/8 of the sponson?

I believe I also read somewhere here about sanding and using bondo to fill the imperfections... I'm still learning alot so the input from a veteran will be of more help to us =)
The right sponson is straight and has full contact on a flat surface. The left has full contact 6" to 7" from the rear of the boat. From the contact point on the left sponson to the end of the boat, the sponson is 1/8" of inch off of a flat surface.

Instead of trying to fill the sponson surface with bondo, I'm going to send the hull back. Thanks everybody for all of the suggestions. Once I get the new hull, I'll let everyone know how its going. Until then, I'll be driving the HTB 290 which is awesome.

Jim

well i just finished putting our topspeed 2 together, My son Ryan will be racing this boat and hopefully we can go out today or tomorow for a test session.

anyway just to put some more details out there here is what we have come up with for our first setup.

MAC21 & Nova carb, SPP NR21 pipe, Lawless and X437 prop on 40%

sponsons were sanded very slightly.

prop angle is zero and depth is 1/8 above

CG is at 9.25" with 3 oz on the nose and a further 2.6 oz on the cg

Custom metal tank

Hitec HS MG servo and HS81 on the throtle.

also i intend to add more lead to the CG to suit the ausie water conditions

I will take some video fottage and post it on putfile.com so we can evaluate it.

Dave

ok I believe that's the best... just to send it back and get a replacement...

Just to add some more info today I rechecked the sponsons and on both of my sponsons there was a very light arch near the back of the sponson... the gap was so small that a paper would not fit in it so I did some very light sanding with some 800 sand paper I had and I got them flat.. I only worked around the last 4 inches.. Went to the pond and tried it Guess what! bounce has nearly dissapeared! The only variable between my last run and this one was the sanding.

Definerly a factor that should be well taken into consideration!

I just got a New 290 little over a month ago and I had to go over the running surfaces

perdy good.

The glass is visable thru the gel-coat in a couple spots,, it has plenty places where it

needed to be brought into line.

This is not a "slam" on the manufacturer, it's the nature of fiberglass boat moulding,,

especially with polyester resin lay-up. And you will have to keep it true as the boat ages.

I should also mention that this area concerning the TS2 would not be like the fiberglass

hulls made in the USA.

Most all the US made hulls are designed, developed and sold by people that

have a passion for this sport.

The hulls made in some other industrialized nation are made by people that are sometimes "ordered" to produce a certain number of units a day or it's they're Job.

Not quite the level of skill and passion that can be had in this Nation and Others like it.

well i just finished putting our topspeed 2 together, My son Ryan will be racing this boat and hopefully we can go out today or tomorow for a test session.

anyway just to put some more details out there here is what we have come up with for our first setup.

Custom metal tank

I will take some video fottage and post it on putfile.com so we can evaluate it.

Dave
Ok a day at the lake with the TS2. here is a small vid of its second run, nearly on pipe and only slight bouncing. so its not far off working corectly using the info thats in this forum. i need to take it out again and fine tune it. the only change was the prop i ended up with a 1440 bc with 3.3 of cup and some slight down angle on the prop. the 437 was a little too mutch load for this set up!

topspeed 2 mac 21

just in case here is the link http://media.putfile.com/topspeed-2

Im going to lower the engine and add 4oz to the cg area.

regards

Dave

It looks fairly smooth but in the straights it sounds like the prop is getting unloaded... Is that why you want to lower the prop depth?

Here's a Video of mine but this is before I did some sanding... I'll try to get another video of it now...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=25...518355488&q=ts2
The reason for lowering the prop is to help stop the bounce. The prop now needs to be worked on untill it pipes better. the sound you hear is it trying to get up on pipe.

Dave

Custom metal tank

Dave
Ok a day at the lake with the TS2. here is a small vid of its second run, nearly on pipe and only slight bouncing. so its not far off working corectly using the info thats in this forum. i need to take it out again and fine tune it. the only change was the prop i ended up with a 1440 bc with 3.3 of cup and some slight down angle on the prop. the 437 was a little too mutch load for this set up!

topspeed 2 mac 21

just in case here is the link http://media.putfile.com/topspeed-2

Im going to lower the engine and add 4oz to the cg area.

regards

Dave
Dave, you said that you ended up running a 1440 B/C with 3.3 inches because you couldnt pull the X437???? is that how I read it? ? ? It seems like it should be the other way around..? I watched the video and it sounds like any other MAC thats "Almost" on the pipe... It sound like you need to do one of a couple things.... shorten the pipe, de-prop a little, or raise the engine. when it comes on the pipe and starts to sing, then you can realy start working on the set-up. They handle much differently when at almost full speed and when at actual full speed. just my observation ~James

Back