Thunderboat dummy engine attachment

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvknox

Even though this is a gas class,I thought there might be more info on this forum.I have used a multi point linkage to positvely hold the dummy engine in my 1/8 scale 68 Bud .I'd like to do something similar on my Thunderboat.However,with the Zen side exhaust and intake this does not seem feasible.I am using a Merlin kit from Doug Campbell(Classic Hydros) made of balsa and plywood,which will float,but I'd rather keep the Merlin on the boat.With the new gas scale group starting in the Northwest,I was hoping that some of you are running hulls with cut back cowls and open engines and have solved this problem.Any suggestions?The boat is a wood Zippkit dropped sponson hull made into a 67 Bud U-12 with a caulked stained deck.

Harvey Liberman

Even though this is a gas class,I thought there might be more info on this forum.I have used a multi point linkage to positvely hold the dummy engine in my 1/8 scale 68 Bud .I'd like to do something similar on my Thunderboat.However,with the Zen side exhaust and intake this does not seem feasible.I am using a Merlin kit from Doug Campbell(Classic Hydros) made of balsa and plywood,which will float,but I'd rather keep the Merlin on the boat.With the new gas scale group starting in the Northwest,I was hoping that some of you are running hulls with cut back cowls and open engines and have solved this problem.Any suggestions?The boat is a wood Zippkit dropped sponson hull made into a 67 Bud U-12 with a caulked stained deck.
Harvey Liberman

Sorry for double post.One of these days I'll figure how to post.

Also I don't want to imply that only the Northwest has worked out solutions.

Harvey

I've built the same dummy engine for my thunder boat project, and I've been thinking of ways to mount the dummy engine in the hull also. I've been thinking about a hinge system that will allow the engine to pivot up out the of the way when starting the boat. I'm interested in any ides as well. Josh-

I've built the same dummy engine for my thunder boat project, and I've been thinking of ways to mount the dummy engine in the hull also. I've been thinking about a hinge system that will allow the engine to pivot up out the of the way when starting the boat. I'm interested in any ides as well. Josh-
Not sure this attachment will work on gas with the pull start but here's how I attached the dummy on a nitro scale. I used 1/8" alum rails attached with bolts to the front of the engine bay allowing the entire dummy to swing up and away for starting and maintainence. The two rails attach to the dummy engine block, this is very close to scale as I've looked at similar attachment rails on full scale boats. This boat has been on it's head a couple times and the dummy stayed with the boat including all the parts (knock on wood). see attached photos.

it's a start

gh

DSC02334.JPG

DSC02325.JPG

DSC02326.JPG

Not sure this attachment will work on gas with the pull start but here's how I attached the dummy on a nitro scale. I used 1/8" alum rails attached with bolts to the front of the engine bay allowing the entire dummy to swing up and away for starting and maintainence. The two rails attach to the dummy engine block, this is very close to scale as I've looked at similar attachment rails on full scale boats. This boat has been on it's head a couple times and the dummy stayed with the boat including all the parts (knock on wood). see attached photos.

it's a start

gh
Greg, my 1/8 scale engine pivot is similar to yours in some respects,and also works great.(Your boat looks super)The problem I'm having with the Zen are the side ports for intake and exhaust.The link bars on my 1/8 scale go all the way to the rear of the engine to allow the engine to do its dippsy doodle as it is moved out of the way for starting.

Attaching the link at the front of the engine looks like it would cut down motion,and the dummy engine needs to be out of the way when the starter rope gets loose.

I think if we put our collective thoughts together we'll come up with something inovative that works.

Harvey

Harvey Liberman

Not sure that Zip kits are legal in Namba. Here are the rules:

Classic Thunderboat

Boat maybe of wood or fiberglass construction.

48-56 inches in length and a minimum of 24 inches in width. The transom shall be a minimum of 10” in width.

Hull designs: Round Nose, Step Deck, Chisel Nose ONLY.

ENGINES will be a PUM 26cc Zenoah. Engine may run a stock 257 carburetor. No internal modification allowed. All

replacement parts must be from the original manufacturer, and the same type engine (Zenoah 260 to Zenoah 260) no

parts swapping.

Any pipe combo may be used. The pipe and muffler must be inside the boat and exit through the transom.

Nothing may be further than 5 1/4" behind the transom.

Boat must have a sponsored paint scheme with sponsored IDs and U numbers on the boat.

Boat must have a driver in a front or rear cockpit. Driver scale of 1/8 to 1/6 in relationship to the size of the boat.

Boat must run with an engine cowling or dummy engine to cover as much of the boats engine as possible.

Harvey Liberman

Not sure that Zip kits are legal in Namba. Here are the rules:

Classic Thunderboat

Boat maybe of wood or fiberglass construction.

48-56 inches in length and a minimum of 24 inches in width. The transom shall be a minimum of 10” in width.

Hull designs: Round Nose, Step Deck, Chisel Nose ONLY.

ENGINES will be a PUM 26cc Zenoah. Engine may run a stock 257 carburetor. No internal modification allowed. All

replacement parts must be from the original manufacturer, and the same type engine (Zenoah 260 to Zenoah 260) no

parts swapping.

Any pipe combo may be used. The pipe and muffler must be inside the boat and exit through the transom.

Nothing may be further than 5 1/4" behind the transom.

Boat must have a sponsored paint scheme with sponsored IDs and U numbers on the boat.

Boat must have a driver in a front or rear cockpit. Driver scale of 1/8 to 1/6 in relationship to the size of the boat.

Boat must run with an engine cowling or dummy engine to cover as much of the boats engine as possible.
nothing to do with namba,this is all IMPBA!!!

Latest posts

Back