Gas Scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvknox

Though I'm in D-5 not in D-14,Mike's topic"check in wha ya running this season" got my attention on posts #5,12,13,14,and 15.Phil is correct I am building a "Gas Scale".Marty Shallenberger from the Pacific Northwest Thunderboat Association and I have exchanged a number of e-mails and phone conversations on Gas Scale.The bottom line is it would be great to develop this class where scales are popular.I believe to do so will require some communication between those interested.Though at this stage I believe that most hulls will be wood,and the boat builders will be deep in sawdust,there is a need for cowls,windshields,rear view mirrors,vertical and horizontal fins,drivers,dummy engines,steering wheels,decals,etc,etc.all 20% over 1/8 scale,which Phil pointed out is NOT 1/6 scale.To my knowledge these sources are scarce.The supply will develop as our needs are made public.

Though the boats are gas,I thought the subject would get more attention on IW since there is more scale interest here.

I am building a Bud T-6 powered by a rear exhaust RCMK EVO.Moded engines are allowed in the current rules.I have a Jeff Snell cowl and windshield.Jeff also makes an Elam cowl.I can furnish contact info if requested.The website for Pacific Northwest Thunderboat Association is www.pnwta.org/club.php Though Thunderboat is in the association name,Gas Scale is not a "classic Thunderboat".For those not familiar with the size of this class,my T-6 is 28"wide and 55" long.For you 1/8 scale guys,there is a natural grip over the turbine air intake to remove it.On the gas scale I have trouble getting my hand over the intake and no grip.

What do you Gas Scale and interested people think of getting something started?We should be able to have boats to race next year.

Harvey Liberman

Harvey,

I have also the RCMK EVO and it sits in my 1/8 scale Formulaboats U5 hydro. I am still building but hope to complete it and hit the water at the end of next month, early may.

Here is my hydroplane:

36869_1358965931416_1149543169_30849585_6586516_n.jpg

198120_1302847928501_1149543169_30726607_2041659_n.jpg

The gas scsale is actualy 1/6.667. The class is really taking off up here. I currently run the 1955 Tempo VII and am in the process of building the U-95. Both run Zen power.

p_00207.jpg

The gas scsale is actualy 1/6.667. The class is really taking off up here. I currently run the 1955 Tempo VII and am in the process of building the U-95. Both run Zen power.
jwo,have you developed any sources for parts as exist in 1/8 scale?Sorry to call you jwo,but there is no name in your profile.

Harvey

Part's? Most all the 1/8 scale hardware will work for the gassers. Exceptions would be, Dual pick-up rudder, Recomend using 1/4 inch stub shaft although I use a Jensen 3/16 needle strut on the TEMPO VII. The new hull will use Accutec 1/4 inch. As for Hulls, Jeff Snell has 2 available with cowls. They are the 7474 hull and the 9516 T-5 type hull. R/c boat co. has the Thunder boat hull that with mods can be made to scale. Also spoonefcrx on here has wood kits. I hope this answers your ???? John

Here is a video of my TEMPO VII.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt85RybHzmo

I've got a framing kit from Mike to do an 89 Circus. Not sure when I'm going to squeeze in the building but I am going to try and have it ready for fall for the NW Scale race. We'll see. I'm planning in molds for cockpit, cowl and wings which will probably take longer than actually building the hull.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm building a gas scale T6,,,making my own cowl

DSC04548.JPG

DSC04563.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Alot of people have read this thread and people have started posting.I believe a lot of the gas components are readily available and guys and girls who run gas know where to find these parts.I am thinking more about the boat parts.For example I have one of Jeff Snell's T-6 cowls and windshields.They are well done and look great,but Jeff at this point is not to my knowledge furnishing other parts(than an Elam cowl).I am looking for a canard and rear vertical and horizontal fins.If others are looking for the same thing,maybe someone would add them to their existing line.I have Mike's T-6 framing kit and with the selection he's got of Gas Scale kits(1/6.667 scale)there must be a number of other builders out there looking for this stuff also.

One of the Knoxville Gang has a 1/6 scale Eddie Hansen driver in a Zipkit Thunderboat which is about 48" long.In my opinion the driver scale is a bit overpowering,but I think the 1/8 scale drivers are a bit small,though a better fit than a 1/6 driver.Exposed engines are another issue.Doug Campbell(Classichydros.com)has a 1/6 scale Merlin which I have in a Zipkit Classic Thunderboat.It looks good.It may take a 1/6 scale motor to cover a Zen. The enclosed modern cockpits are a whole new challenge.There is 20% more space inside to fill up.The large scale airplane guys have gone crazy in this area.Maybe we should look at their sources.

Anyway,anybody have some ideas to share?If more people have photos to post it will help git er goin.

Harvey

We are in the process of making gas scale parts. We are currently working on F1 Tunnel hulls, Mono's and Cats. We are capable of making the parts but need pictures and dimensions of them. We make drivers for nitro boats currently. Let me know how much bigger you need for gas scale. Feel free to PM me with any questions or sugestions.

Thanks

Rick

Drivers for Scarab.jpg

PB240005 (1280x960) (2).jpg

gas cover.jpg

Glad to see some of the gas frames I had cut are getting built. I would love for everyone to share their builds! I really enjoy seeing the progress!!! Mike

Rick, I try to keep thread high jacking to a minimum, but the gas frames are around $200 shipped, and as always, return customers and multiple kit orders get discounts.

Now, I will let you guys get back to the topic at hand! Mike

We are in the process of making gas scale parts. We are currently working on F1 Tunnel hulls, Mono's and Cats. We are capable of making the parts but need pictures and dimensions of them. We make drivers for nitro boats currently. Let me know how much bigger you need for gas scale. Feel free to PM me with any questions or sugestions.

Thanks

Rick
PM sent

Harvey

Thanks

Rick
PM sent

Harvey
I'm starting to get into gas this year and would love to build a gas kit. Would love to build the 07 oberto.

Hi Everyone,

I got one of Mike's 8808 Miss Tide frame kits.

It is an awsome kit! I do not have tons of building experience but

it is the Best lazer cutting I have seen. I built my first boat in 1979.

A Dumas Sorcerer with a K&B .45 but had been away from boats till last year

when I dug the scorcerer out of Mom,s basement. Anyway sorry to hijack your tread,

Just real excited to get started! I will do a build thread and put build vids

on youtube when I get started. I will need advice and help being new to hydros.

Thanks Everyone,

Darrell

Just to let everyone know, We are exploring the idea of making gas scale parts. Per Harvs input we will probably start with rear verticle fins and wings.

Just to let everyone know, We are exploring the idea of making gas scale parts. Per Harvs input we will probably start with rear verticle fins and wings.
I have been e-mailing ideas and faxing sketches to Rick.Please post your own thoughts on parts.Rick also started a thread in the general form,but I think it was warped over to machine shop products.From Rick's photos I believe he is thinking glass parts,maybe carbon fiber which I have not discussed with him.I hope he sees an opportunity to start something.

Harvey

I've got templates drawn for some gas scale parts already. Now that I've got a framing kit I have a basis to work from. I have plans for the Circus and Miller cockpits and cowls. I've also got templates laid out for both the Lucero and Jones wings of the 80's and 90's. I've been asked about a few other but I'm going to start there. Here's the thing though. Is anyone running this as a class other than the NW? Because this is not yet a NAMBA class yet I know but I'm sure it could be very soon and I'm sure in IMPBA as well if things keep progressing like we are talking about now.

Back