Gas Scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering if the side exhaust rcmk evo will fit in Mike's frame kits. Thanks Dave
I think he made the 82U55 kit with a deeper engine well for the Zen and Evo engines.

I got one of the first kit and did some mods to make it fit. The engine fits onto the mounts and the carb and header are under the deck line on mine.

It will be hard to fit any of the Turbine hulls with a side port motor, the engine wells are not too deep.

The rcmk RZ rear exhaust is a good fit for those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Thanks Phil thats what I was wondering. I am thinking on building one of the turbine hulls and will need the rear exhaust then. I don't know much about the different hulls but will the T6 be the kit I need for The Miss Spirit of Detroit 2007 ? I figure I will build the boat from the city I grew up in. :)

Ok Thanks Phil thats what I was wondering. I am thinking on building one of the turbine hulls and will need the rear exhaust then. I don't know much about the different hulls but will the T6 be the kit I need for The Miss Spirit of Detroit 2007 ? I figure I will build the boat from the city I grew up in. :)
Not sure go look at the pictures of the BudT6 boats and see if the cowls and wings match.

harvnox Harvey from Knoxville TN is building a gas T6 hull now

As Phil says you will need a rear exhaust engine to fit within a turbine cowl.I have a rear exhaust RCMK going in my T-6.The exhaust header which I got from Gismo has a ball and socket which allows(within reason) any angular adjustment of the exhaust header and pipe,which will be needed to keep the pipe in the cowl.The latest regs from the Northwest specify NAMBA GX-1,which I believe allows anything moded less than 27cc.

The T-6 hull has a different left and right afterplane design than some other boats.I'm not familiar with the Spirit of Detroit as to its similarity to the T-6.Harry Gatgens has posted a number of T-6 photos on this forum which you may want to check.There are also alot of other photos which have been posted.

I will strongly suggest that you get a set of Roger Newton's drawings even though you buy one of Mike L's framing kits if you are building wood.If you do go with Mike's T-6 framing kit,contact me and I'll be glad to share info.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey Im waiting ona couple friends to see if they want to purchase a couple kits. But Im seriously thinking on building one. I have found a site wih pictures of the boat. Im not too familiar with hydro's and some of the terminology used so I will be needing help. I do have many years in building airplanes and scratch buiding. Also a couple boats. Im not sure what is going on with the miss spirit of detroit, It says in 2007 it was miss spirit of detroit, having some trouble finding good pics of it. The pics I found say in 2010 or 2011 it will be called detroit yaht club. So I will keep researching it.From the pics so far it looks like the wings and cockpit are the same maybe you can take a look and see what you think if its the T6 hull. I also see from the pictures that parts which I believe are interchangable I believe for lift on left and right of cockpit are like the T6 and the one is longer. Hope these pics load. My link My link My link I dont know what happened to the size but you can see the different length on the 2 parts I was refering to that are different length's

Thanks Harvey Im waiting ona couple friends to see if they want to purchase a couple kits. But Im seriously thinking on building one. I have found a site wih pictures of the boat. Im not too familiar with hydro's and some of the terminology used so I will be needing help. I do have many years in building airplanes and scratch buiding. Also a couple boats. Im not sure what is going on with the miss spirit of detroit, It says in 2007 it was miss spirit of detroit, having some trouble finding good pics of it. The pics I found say in 2010 or 2011 it will be called detroit yaht club. So I will keep researching it.From the pics so far it looks like the wings and cockpit are the same maybe you can take a look and see what you think if its the T6 hull. I also see from the pictures that parts which I believe are interchangable I believe for lift on left and right of cockpit are like the T6 and the one is longer. Hope these pics load. My link My link My link I dont know what happened to the size but you can see the different length on the 2 parts I was refering to that are different length's
Actually, that U-13 is a rebuilt 8700 hull((AKA U-00 Miller High Life/Circus Circus) so I'm not so sure a T-6 kit would be a good choise to build that boat from.

OK HJ like I said I have no clue just want to build it. So whats the best way to go about it. Start with the 8700 kit?

Crash take look at Mike's list of kits and see what would be the best platform to start with on that boat. The U-13 is kind of an odd hull as HJ said it's a rebuilt 8700. They rebuilt the center section and cockpit on that boat but kept the canoes. The decks are fairly flat compared to the T-5/6 and the transom is much different. It's still pretty much the same as it was in the late 90s and 2000's. At a glance it looks similar to the Bud hulls but it has a lot of differences. You may have to get a set of York/Emcor Plans and send them to Mike and maybe he can do a custom CAD file for you.

Here's his list http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=41052&st=0

He does have an 8700 kit for the Close Call and York hulls that might work...you would have to change the cockpit and canard wings but that might work if you are good at scratch building.

I can scratch build just about anything,but I was hoping to buy a kit that was close. I tought I would have to build the cockpit or whole canopy to start with. If this is correct. And I use the 8700 the problem Im having is how do I find out all the other changes it will need to build it scale. Do the york/ emcor plans have the updates I would need? Im sure the newton plans wouldn't would they. Or would it be a good idea to inquire with detroit racing to see if they could help? Just want to build a boat without a ton of hassle that is scale or close to it. That if I some day they get a gas class in my area,I wouldn't be told it is out of bounds of the rules for one reason or another. Maybe I should chose a different hull or boat. Sure would be nice if there was a list of more complete kits or boats that people were making wings, fins cockpits for.

Actually pics would be better. I have a bunch of pics of that boat from 2006 to 2010 and I'm sure others would be willing to help as well.

Thanks Mike I have found the detroit racing photo's There is a bunch of real clear bottom and top views as well as them doing repairs. But the more the better. What year graphics do you have of it. Do you have something you could post of them. Hope they don't mind me posting here. It is going to be for the gas scale 1/6.6 Maybe you could clarify what the numbers mean. Like the 1997 closecall what is the 173A stand for? I see the MSA 8700 which various teams use and modify to there liking. I am wondering what the difference is between 158a,b,d then it jumps to the 97 which is 173a.

The thre digit number is the Newton plan set, the letter is the color sheet in that plan set that goes with a specific boat configuration.

As for the 8700, that refers to the year the boat first hit the water(1987) and the designation number (U-00)of the boat, hense the 8700 hull number

I was just over on RCU doing some research on your thread HJ. I found what the four numbers stands for year and U# :) I guess I have to keep flipping stones till I figure which 8700 looks closest to the Spirit of Detroit.

Phil I was also just over on newtons and figured out the plan numbers and what the letters stand for.

I'm guessing that the plan set for the Close Call would be your best bet. You can modify the center section as needed to make it more accurate since the canoes are probably going to be really close to what the U-13 presently has. Just my thought

Thats what Im hoping that being the newer hull on the list Mike is working,that it would have more of the updates . Only time will tell.

Back