Gas Scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got templates drawn for some gas scale parts already. Now that I've got a framing kit I have a basis to work from. I have plans for the Circus and Miller cockpits and cowls. I've also got templates laid out for both the Lucero and Jones wings of the 80's and 90's. I've been asked about a few other but I'm going to start there. Here's the thing though. Is anyone running this as a class other than the NW? Because this is not yet a NAMBA class yet I know but I'm sure it could be very soon and I'm sure in IMPBA as well if things keep progressing like we are talking about now.
Mike,to my knowledge,this class is only run in the NW.I've talked to some guys in Texas who are running gas scale,but not necessarily by the same rules as in the NW.I know a number of Gas Scales are being built in the Mid West and South and could go by the same rules as used in the NW.I started this thread to spread the word about this class with the hope that we can race as a class next year.I hope we can get something going.Part of the process is getting parts to build boats,which I hope is happening now.For a little more info read Marty Shallenberger's post in the scale forum under"D-14 Check in what ya running this season",about 3/24/11.Note that moded engines are allowed.

Harvey

I believe this is not a class because there's not much interest. Why no interest? Because parts aren't readily availeable. Would you build a ull if you couldn't get a wing or cowl. NO So I believe it's up to us to make part's to help build interest. Wait and they shall come.

I believe this is not a class because there's not much interest. Why no interest? Because parts aren't readily availeable. Would you build a ull if you couldn't get a wing or cowl. NO So I believe it's up to us to make part's to help build interest. Wait and they shall come.
This is a class. The club is Pacific North West Thunderboat Ass. The Web site is http://pnwta.org/ . There is alot of boats currently being built and alot ready to race. The first race this season will be April 9th. Check out Marty's web site for rules and schedule. He has opened up the class to Thunderbaots as long as they are painted to scale. This class is really taking off. I have 1 ready and another on the jig. It will be out this season. I hope to get some video of the event when I'm not racing. I will post it the following week. John

p_00158.jpg

p_00219.jpg

I would love to be first in my area( New Orleans ) to build a gas scale, but am reluctant to order a framing kit for the very reasons you listed. My interest is in the 77-82 Atlas Van Lines, no wings, no cowls. Anybody making these yet ? I know Mike builds awesome framing kits, I already have 2,1/8 scale kits. Just need the parts for a gas scale now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously Gas Scale is still very much in early stages and probably will be until there are more available parts. I was aware of it running as a class in the NW. I've traded emails and had phone conversations with Marty recently. It just seems like other than in the NW there is only some regional building and racing going on. Motor technology seems to be evolving as well with the advent of the RCMK/J&G hybrid rear exhaust motor, but from what I can see so far it is going to need more evolution to achieve the speeds and performance that 1/8 scale nitro has. It is going to take guys like us to build and experiment with motors. pipes, props as well as build parts and hardware to make this happen.

Mark the Lucero wings I am working on would be right for the Atlas you want to do. I'll see what I can do to plan out a cowl for the Blue Blaster.

Like you said, build them and they will get run. I for one will buy any parts you make for the 1982 Bud hull. Wings, cowling, driver all of it.

Honestly, If I sat down and tallied up the requests for gas vs. 1/8th scale frames over the last two months, Gas frames would win hands down. There is a huge interest for it, and not just in the NW. A lot of guys in the Middle/North area of the country are buying these frames.

If I had to take an educated guess of what will happen in the next 5 years (If we make it past 12/21/12 and the nuclear fallout) I suspect GAS scales will be full blown in both IMPBA and NAMBA, and the traditional Nitro 1/8th scale will be almost gone with FE 1/8th scale filling its spot. The simple fact is RCU is actually allowing FE mixing this year, my district, IMPBA D12, just passed mixed FE and Nitro 1/8th scale as well. So, its coming. I am getting people that have raced nitro their whole life asking questions about FE scales. That tells me there are more people keeping their eye on this and seeing how it pans out.

So get ready, its going to be exciting!

Mike

I would rather deal with slower speeds and get the Gas scale class going then keep paying for blown glow plugs and nitro fuel. We in district 14 run stock Zen T- boat class and it is growing faster then any class I have seen. The Madison club will have 10 Thunderboats for this years races. To me it is affordable class with stock engine. This is the only way our sport will continue to grow and survive. The Madison club is wanting to run stock gas engines in the scale gas class to keep price down and attract people to the class. Speed will catch up not worried about running 60 mph plus as much as the club, and sports growth. But hey if you have to run modified engines I have a 7hp M&D engine ready to go in. Do not want to thou to much money. Just my 2 cents but in this day and age I guess it would be 10 cents now.

Don McKay

Madison In.

If I had to take an educated guess of what will happen in the next 5 years (If we make it past 12/21/12 and the nuclear fallout) I suspect GAS scales will be full blown in both IMPBA and NAMBA, and the traditional Nitro 1/8th scale will be almost gone with FE 1/8th scale filling its spot. The simple fact is RCU is actually allowing FE mixing this year, my district, IMPBA D12, just passed mixed FE and Nitro 1/8th scale as well. So, its coming. I am getting people that have raced nitro their whole life asking questions about FE scales. That tells me there are more people keeping their eye on this and seeing how it pans out.

So get ready, its going to be exciting!

Mike
When I returned to this sport 4 years ago I observed that the fastest growing lasses by along shot are the gas classes. I predicted that nitros only chance of survival and potential for growth would be the hydro classes, sport sclae and outrigger.

I'm not a fan of electrics, they just don't do it for me. But sadly for me, I do believe Mike you're right, Electrics will replace the nitro 1/8scale and possibly sport 45 and everything else will go Gas.

So I guess I'm gonna have to build a gas scale now. Would somebody mind telling my wife for me? :rolleyes:

Keep it up guys and I will have to build one. Last season my daughter raced my T-Boat and now she says its hers so I need a new toy for me. I hope I will get to see a few run this year. Harvey, Phil, and Don talk to Mikey and see if we can add them to one or more of our races. I’m sure if you get enough to make a class he will let you run.

DonB

Mark, building a boat like the 77 Atlas isn't really that tough. The tails are flat so a simple frame made to shape with some ply to cover it would work. A foam filled wing with wood for the end caps and the leading and trailing edge is simple as well. In fact, that was how Dumas did the tails and wing on their scale 82 Atlas and turbines. The cowl is just as simple, 1/32 ply wrapped and epoxied around forms on both ends and sides attached to an interconnecting wood frame with a 1/32 top and sides added to finish it off. This is the same way I'll be making one for an Atlas conversion from a Dumas 20 sized Pak kit

For those that are looking for part's. Build them yourself. That's part of the it. Yes, eventualy parts will be available. Just like Nitro was years ago. Nitro has not fallen off up here in the NW. Most of us run both. The speeds are not that far off of 1/8 scale nitro. With the right set-up they are just as fast on the course. The class is still in the development stage for sure. Engines are inexpesive compared to nitro. Even a full-mod. This class differs from T-boat in that you can run mod engines and the hull has to be SCALE. Anyone interested should refer to the Master Hull Roster on the PNWTA web-site for exact measurments and so forth. Not all hulls will work at 20% over 1/8 Scale. They need to be 1/6.667. Zen's or RCMK stock or full-mod 26cc or less. H.J. It is the U-95. Power will come from a CC Racing BEAST. Hull should be in the 15 - 16 lbs. range.

I would rather deal with slower speeds and get the Gas scale class going then keep paying for blown glow plugs and nitro fuel. We in district 14 run stock Zen T- boat class and it is growing faster then any class I have seen. The Madison club will have 10 Thunderboats for this years races. To me it is affordable class with stock engine. This is the only way our sport will continue to grow and survive. The Madison club is wanting to run stock gas engines in the scale gas class to keep price down and attract people to the class. Speed will catch up not worried about running 60 mph plus as much as the club, and sports growth. But hey if you have to run modified engines I have a 7hp M&D engine ready to go in. Do not want to thou to much money. Just my 2 cents but in this day and age I guess it would be 10 cents now.

Don McKay

Madison In.
Hi Don, Hope all is well- When Roger Newton and I first spoke about starting the "Gas Scale Hydro" class the "semi scale thunder boat " class was just starting out and what we saw was that while some were building scale inspired boats we saw just as many that were building non scale boats. We also thought that with a true scale class that allowed pickle forks along with the round nose hulls we would be able to reproduce what Roger had started with the 1/8th scale nitro scale class but using lower cost fuel and parts. For those of us that are scale hydroplane nuts this is a very easy transition to "Gas Scale Hydro". So now we have a class that is gaining momentum across the country that is "SCALE" fast and relatively inexpensive to run. I think the NAMBA/IMPBA Thunder boat class is great (I have one ) and I believe it should remain as is running stock motors with inexpensive paint and graphic packages. But for those of us that are able to build a true Scale Hydroplane and are willing to spend the time and dollars that it takes we now have a set of rules to follow that are identical to 1/8 scale nitro with a 20% larger boat that will run the same heat racing speeds as the nitro scale boats. Please visit www pnwta.org for a full set of rules - up sized master hull roster and photos of some of our Gas Scale Hydros.

Marty Shallenberger

Obviously Gas Scale is still very much in early stages and probably will be until there are more available parts. I was aware of it running as a class in the NW. I've traded emails and had phone conversations with Marty recently. It just seems like other than in the NW there is only some regional building and racing going on. Motor technology seems to be evolving as well with the advent of the RCMK/J&G hybrid rear exhaust motor, but from what I can see so far it is going to need more evolution to achieve the speeds and performance that 1/8 scale nitro has. It is going to take guys like us to build and experiment with motors. pipes, props as well as build parts and hardware to make this happen.

Mark the Lucero wings I am working on would be right for the Atlas you want to do. I'll see what I can do to plan out a cowl for the Blue Blaster.
Mike that would be great, I am really chomping at the bit to get a gas scale Atlas. The more parts supplied, the quicker I can build. I already have gas boats, but wanted a scale Atlas so bad I went back to nitro. Let me know when you have everything in place, I am ready to BUY. Thanks, Mark.

Mikey, can we race the class this year in district 14? What rules are we going to with? Phil, Chris and anyone else running in the district 14 races? Looks like Marty and the gang worked very hard on the rules went over them look good. Just wandering on the engine class? Can not wait till I get my kit from Mike.

Mikey, can we race the class this year in district 14? What rules are we going to with? Phil, Chris and anyone else running in the district 14 races? Looks like Marty and the gang worked very hard on the rules went over them look good. Just wandering on the engine class? Can not wait till I get my kit from Mike.
Is Gale54 Don Mckay?If so Don,I don't know how many boats will be ready this season.Remember we're talking scale with concours quality boats.The Northwest club recently changed their engine rules which now allow moded motors.I think this makes the boats more exciting and eliminates the comments you hear about the stock Zen in the Classic Thunderboat.I believe as I think you do that the rules should be like the PNWTA rules.I think that this season we should concentrate on building boats,researching parts,and cooperating to build an outstanding class of boats.If some boats are complete maybe demo runs can be made this year,or partially completed boats can be shown at the races.

Harvey

Is Gale54 Don Mckay?If so Don,I don't know how many boats will be ready this season.Remember we're talking scale with concours quality boats.The Northwest club recently changed their engine rules which now allow moded motors.I think this makes the boats more exciting and eliminates the comments you hear about the stock Zen in the Classic Thunderboat.I believe as I think you do that the rules should be like the PNWTA rules.I think that this season we should concentrate on building boats,researching parts,and cooperating to build an outstanding class of boats.If some boats are complete maybe demo runs can be made this year,or partially completed boats can be shown at the races.

Harvey
I have been to the West coast and seen these boats first hand. Awesome and great detail. It will take at least a year to bring them up to the point a class can be raced,now that we can get lazer frames its going to be easier. Lets see how many boats we have by June and go from there. I cant wait to see Phil and Harveys boats along with the Madison boys building them. More will surely follow...........

I wanted to clarify why our local PNWTA club chose to go to NAMBA GX-1 motor for the Gas Scale Hydro class this year. 1. It was decided that these bigger heaver boats could benefit from a wider power band so we could spin larger props and get the boats launched 2. The rear exhaust motors ( needed for the pickle fork hulls ) are not as strong in stock form as a side exhaust motor so the steal sleeves will give us reliability. 3. We removed almost all questions of what is legal and what is not. 4. The motors just sound cool and they now cost 1/2 what they cost a year ago !!!!!

I would suggest if your local club is running Thunderboats and you have interest from members to run Gas Scale Hydro just limit the Scale boats to stock motors and allow the RCMK- RZ motors to run in the pickle fork hulls and run them together. If anything the Scale boats will be at a disadvantage due to size and hull design so they won't be any faster than the stock Zen Thunderboats. I have an INSANE T-Boat that we painted and detailed as the Evergreen Roofing boat running a Zen lower end with a JG HEMI top and we run it on Saturdays with the Gas Scale Club and on Sunday I just put the stock Zen top end on the same motor and run it in the same boat in the Local NAMBA D-8 Thunderboat class on Sundays.. At the NW Scale Championship Race last year my stock insane T-Boat won the combined class that was made up of Scales with G-1 modified motors and Stock T-boats . Run your boats and see what works for your area and have fun testing the different set-ups that are possible... If you sign up on the www.pnwta.org website I do send out information from time to time about the state of Gas Scale Hydro - Also if you have parts, hulls -motors for sale that are related to T-Boats and Gas Scale Hydros you can advertise them for free on for sale page

Happy Boating

Marty Shallenberger

Latest posts

Back