Thoughts needed on start rules

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see a start rule that says " You must complete one full mill lap before starting", too many times I have seen a boat thrown in at the last minute that is not running right and barely manages to make it around the course, crosses the start line and is brought in, just for start points, I think that is pathetic and has no part of racing.

If the cut-off to launch a boat is 30 seconds before a race then any boat should be able to do 2 laps unless the water is really bad. Especially with the 1/2 course mill rule.

There already is a mill rule that says you must do a full lap before you can do a half mill.

I am referring to boats that just run around just above idle not getting on the pipe (doing S turns all over the place) trying to get "cleaned out", stay out just long enough to start and then are shut down. No problem if you are out there the whole time milling, but if you just make it or are even a little after the "mill time" then do one lap to the start it does not have much to do with racing and should not be creditted with "start points" IMO.

It seems as though everyone has a different interpretation of the rule and since I was a little fella running around at Oran Park in Sydney I have always thought the same way. Even told Gruber in Queensland one year to get his boat off the water or he will be disqualified from the event, he didn't like it but he lived with it, cause it was the same for everyone. No one has ever said to me that my interpretation is wrong, although sometimes I got abused when they didn't get their boat on the water, but this is always going to happen.

I think before the Nationals in Adelaide this year I will sit down with the guys from the Adelaide club who are organising the event and ask them how they want me to interpret the rules as they have hired me to do the job on their behalf. Then with the notes I collect, I can relay these interpretations to everyone at the drivers meeting each morning. Or on the other hand, have a Pit Dircetor each race, from the host club, who judges whether boats are launched or not.

Craig, I'm now thinking the same as you, I'd like to see more boats on the water but I think it not only comes down to this rule but its also up to the driver.

I know that I probably haven't been the best at the CD thing over the years but I'm up there on my own making decisions on the spot and sometimes I will make mistakes. If someone doesn't like a decision, then use the protest system, that is why its there.

We should probably bring this topic up at the AMPBA AGM and see if we need to change it or not and just clarify with all members what is the actual meaning of the rule.

Grub - Chicken Pox! What a great birthday present.

Grub...

One incident doesnt make you a bad CD. I think you have done a great job in general. It isnt an easy job either. And you have to stand up and shake the hand of the man who donates his time so we can race!!!!

Its all a learning experience how to run a race. Ask the guys at the IMPBA Nats doing their first shot at it!!! And did we manage to throw everything at them from left field!!!! (will tell you bout it over a beer or 17). Best thing anyone can do is learn from other race meetings and pick the bits that work and toss the bits that dont.

EMS Racing even I CD'd once...

Just read the rules every morning at the Driver's meeting then ask for any questions to make sure that it is all clear to everyone. Mark Sholund did this at the Internats for those that weren't there every day.

I thought that we had Eric's boat started by the 30 second mark when we were told to shut it off. If it wasn't for Craig videotaping the round with my camcorder I wouldn't be apologizing to Mark.

I always try to have the boat running well before the 30 second mark, I always worry about it not starting on time. Ask Craig, I was more nervous that he was when I was pitting for him!

:)

that is true.... oh and the look on Ron's face when my twin went excessively smokey!!!!!

EMS Racing Well you had to be there...

Grub,

Happy birthday mate - sorry to hear you are sick though - that sucks!

The IW gang should have a get - together at the nat's!

Not as crazy as Norm Jankowski when he grabbed the fire extinguisher! I never saw a radio box smoke up like yours did! :eek:

Yeah Ron ;D

Its funny how professional looking the clear perspex lid can be in giving you that smoked glass look... :)

EMS Racing well something had to break

Tim,

Since things have changed for this weekend, I have managed to convince the wife that I need to race on Sunday.

Maybe a few ales after the racing, I know I won't have to ask Wide Boy Bill.

Grub

Grub,

I think you do an outstanding job as CD! ;D

I will ask the committee here in Adelaide what they want to do for the nats on that rule, but personally I am happy to let you run it as you see fit.

Ian.

Well the weather turned good on Sunday morning and we got some great racing happening. Grub turned up and took a heap of pic's as well as running his beautiful Miss US scale.

Funnily enough while I was CD'ing a few races we had 1 case of a boat starting and off the stand as the pit time ended. I let it launch and there was no problems this time. It is essential that the CD has an assistant though to watch the rest of the boats circulating until the end of pit time as the CD is watching the pit to make the call.

Tim

The Impba races i have attended,, and im not sure if this is an official rule,, allow someone to launch their boat IF it is RUNNING at the end of the port time (30 sec to start).

We found that running and off the stand was a hazard as guys would be cranking the boat in mid air to get in the race, bad idea..

If you want to rule running and cowl on thats ok but it adds to the hazard level with people rushing to get the cowling on with the motor running.

Impba has the CD plus a Pit Boss. The pit boss will check in racers for the heat and when they have a freq.control tag and a pit man and say they are ready he will call for the clock to start. It is the pit boss that monitors the starting and the launching of the boats. No boat is launched with out the pit boss directing the pit man to launch the boat.

If a boat is brought down to the launch area after the 30 sec mark has passed, the pit boss can hold that boat till it is deemed safe to launch.

launching at this time or even after the start will usally put a boat a lap down at the start and unless he is lucky or real fast he will take last place.

Only bad thing i see about allowing boats to launch after the 30 sec is if the boat is that hard to start something is wrong with it and it could die right in the middle of the front straight at the last moment before a start.

I have seen some get a late launch at 15-20 sec. and actually be right on the clock and go around once quickly and get a good start

Drivers could be directed to launch their boats and stay on the very outside of the course the first lap untill they make a start of the race...

You can do what you want but safety should be your top concern...

PHIL THOMAS

Latest posts

Back