The rising cost of entry fees

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark McCray

I sat down with a few other racers last night for a good meal and conversation at our annual Clubs party. Turns out that there are people who for the first time in many a year, who will not be racing this season as a result of the costs involved. Theres people talking of not only not racing but selling off all there engines, boats, etc. and saying good bye to racing.

If you aren't aware, we have an economic problem here in Michigan and elsewhere that is hitting home. Lay offs, reduced hours, no overtime or worse yet, no job!

So what could be done under these conditions, I dought that the IMPBA insurance/membership cost would be reduced. The hard cost of fuel, plugs, batteries, won't change. Meals and lodging costs aren't going away so the only thing left is the entry fees. So what could be done with entry fees. If Clubs didn't buy t shirts, trophys or plaques to give away this year at their races, then Clubs maybe able to reduce the entry fee to next to nothing, there by letting some who still want to race, able to. I mean most of the Clubs have already paid for all the hard cost items it takes to put on a race and there are those that have saved money from those entry fees that they don't really have to make more money this year.

Whats your thoughts racers on lowering entry fees this year?

Ever race slot cars at a national level? :blink: :blink:

Our hobby is CHEAP... very cheap

Grim

$7 a boat. $3 of which goes to the district to pay for the end of the year awards and race awards. The leaves $4. Lets say a 80 boat turn out, which only happen once last year. That puts a $320 pot left over. Put down a $30 for yearly overhead cost of club. $45 for site insurance and $10 for sanction. $50 for site rental use. $150 for buoys cause you guys love to run over them and blow them up. Add that up and we have a wopping $35 for the club. Now Team Toothpick race ended up with 67 entries 2 years ago. Now that puts us in the red. There is nothing wrong with the cost of entries here in NAMBA Dist 8 other than the clubs are not making money.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem where I work at as I can work all of the OT that I want. The problem the past 2 years has been health related as it's put me on the sidelines healing. I spent all last summer trying to get hospital and other bills caught back up, the reason why there was no summer activities for me. Now I'm burned out from work and need some play time. If nothing else happens to me this year I will be racing again.

Travel costs were something I had to look at also. I'm not lucky enough to live near any sites until late last year when the Lansing MBC held an event. Other than that I'm looking at 135 miles and more to a race anywhere.

Entry fees I feel are reasonable as it takes a lot of money just to put on any race, there is a lot of support equipment to pay for. I don't mind paying extra for a T-shirt if they're made available. Dom Mauro lost his butt last year as he took his own money to get shirts for their race and didn't sell enough at the race. I bought 2 from him through the mail to help out.

Less races is what I think is the answer. There are so many local area races that is drains the hardcore racer. If they don't support the event, a few diehards and stalwarts in the district make them feel like they skipped church when they see them again..

I have retired from model boating this year - so my words may not be well received. But these are my feelings and if things had been different I might have kept on racing. I am headed back to school to finish my degree and hope to return to boating in the future..

Our district currently has 7 district races scheduled for 2007. I think the district and it's racers would be better fit with 3 or 4 quality races rather than 7 small races. The amount of racers is dwindling and boat counts are not dropping as fast because some racers are helping pick up the slack by running more classes. I just see this hobby dying a quick death by having too many meaningless races. I couldn't keep attending two day races and handling all the costs involved to continually run against the same group of 15 racers or so every 3-4 weeks, and watching several classes run 3 boat heats.

Play day and fun events that last one day would be fine, but not require racers to show up and race at 8am and spend two to three nights out of town and return home tired, pockets drained and the thought of work the very next morning...

The entry fees are the cheapest part of racing. I don't see how cutting that could help at all. It will just put more stress on the already short man powered clubs that are working their tails off so that the races can take place...

Mark

It is not just your area, we used to get permits for 7 Sundays a year for our club meetings plus the race day, for under $100.00. We also had our own liability insurance for the club(just like the IMPBA insurance policy). 5 years ago the insurance companies decided that they(all insurance companies) would not write a commercial poliy for less than $500.00( we were paying $125.00 at the time). Our pond belongs to "The Forest Preserve District of Cook County, IL". The permit for our 1 day race last year was $210.00. We are required to have a minumum liability policy for 1 million dollars also for the permit. Our entry fee has always been $10.00 first boat and $8.00 for every boat thereafter and $6.00 for juniors. By the time we get trophies and everyting else we just try to break even on race day. We always have a 50/50 raffle and take donations for food, but, it is a real challenge to get enough money to carry the club expences. We are losing members rather than gaining them.

Open for suggestions.

Jerry

$7 a boat. $3 of which goes to the district to pay for the end of the year awards and race awards. The leaves $4. Lets say a 80 boat turn out, which only happen once last year. That puts a $320 pot left over. Put down a $30 for yearly overhead cost of club. $45 for site insurance and $10 for sanction. $50 for site rental use. $150 for buoys cause you guys love to run over them and blow them up. Add that up and we have a wopping $35 for the club. Now Team Toothpick race ended up with 67 entries 2 years ago. Now that puts us in the red. There is nothing wrong with the cost of entries here in NAMBA Dist 8 other than the clubs are not making money.Mike

Mike WOW I think that those would be considered bargain rates here in District 2. Most of our races are 15 or 20 bucks for the first boat and then 10 bucks for each additional class.

I also agree with the too many races theory.. I believe that we had 16 different races last year from May - October.. TJ

I have 3 sons , 2 @ 6 and a 2 1/2 year old . We started Cub scouts this year and were now building pinewood derby cars . I goggled pinewood derby and you would be suprised how much 4 little grooved nails will cost . $ 20.00 . Thay have tires that are $30.00 ..... well that is 4 . Try Go-karting then go to the national levels or go to your local quarter midget and see how much these parents are spending . I could go small block modified raceing at Orange County NY for the same as some are spending quarter midget racing.

No one is forcing you to go racing.

Ed

I have 3 sons , 2 @ 6 and a 2 1/2 year old . We started Cub scouts this year and were now building pinewood derby cars . I goggled pinewood derby and you would be suprised how much 4 little grooved nails will cost . $ 20.00 . Thay have tires that are $30.00 ..... well that is 4 . Try Go-karting then go to the national levels or go to your local quarter midget and see how much these parents are spending . I could go small block modified raceing at Orange County NY for the same as some are spending quarter midget racing.

Ed
Our club never makes more than $100.00 in June the rest of our races are losers. $10.00 a boat is plenty $15.00 pushing. Our Scale spring race is $20.00 but its to pay for boats and motors to try to get more guys to come.Face it these things are expensive,Plugs $4.00 ,gallon of fuel my GREENYS drink it $25.00,batteries $12.00 for 2 dozen i use dry cells. I could go on and on dont break anything!! I love these things and will race till i die or am broke. Mikey

Mike wasn't that a line out the movie "Miss Madison"? I feel the same way though. ;)

Ed
Our club never makes more than $100.00 in June the rest of our races are losers. $10.00 a boat is plenty $15.00 pushing. Our Scale spring race is $20.00 but its to pay for boats and motors to try to get more guys to come.Face it these things are expensive,Plugs $4.00 ,gallon of fuel my GREENYS drink it $25.00,batteries $12.00 for 2 dozen i use dry cells. I could go on and on dont break anything!! I love these things and will race till i die or am broke. Mikey

Well at a club level if you cant afford to race you should be able to talk with the "Club President" and have something worked out. I would rather pay an extra dollar to not lose a good person than lose one and not race because we are short on boats. Within the next month I will become a member of impba and a club member and will even mention this, Just for the record I am not a rich person on the contrary quite the opposite (but ya gotta help when ya can, If ya see me at any race ask I will help in anyway I can). I am hoping maybe to do some car pooling to races and hopefully Tom will be willing to go, we could save money traveling together for sure. I am open to just about anything :)

Paul

$15 to $20 for the first boat and $10 for other boats is not that bad, if $30 to $40 in costs will get people to sell thousands of dollars of hardware and quit a hobbie/sport they where just looking for an excuse to quit.

$15 to $20 for the first boat and $10 for other boats is not that bad, if $30 to $40 in costs will get people to sell thousands of dollars of hardware and quit a hobbie/sport they where just looking for an excuse to quit.
It might surprise you to know that the idea of spending "thousands of dollars" will keep lots of people out of this hobby. We're missing out on lots who might like to race, but have no interest in spending so much. Want more racers and clubs? One way is to find a way to lower the costs, across the board.

You need a RTR class or a class something like that so that anyone thats a member can race. Those people like myself when they see what is out there will work to get the better boats, but ya gotta start somewhere. I think 330T meant the people that already have thousands invested if they are ready to quit for $30-40 then they already planned on quitting. Even an anonomus $5 slush fund to help the racers that cant afford to race can take advantage of this, the $5 or what ever amount would be a donation from the people willing to pay a little more. I will pay $5 more to help my fellow racers, Like I said I would rather be given the chance to race than not race because there isnt enough boats. And I for example got a RTR (first boat in june or july 2006) and by race time this year will have about $1500 invested in boating stuff, If you want new Members and Clubs "You Have To" cater to the RTR class it is the stepping stone( its easier to start for $500 or less and work your way up)

Paul

I hear you Mark. With my kids racing I budget $400.00 a race and rarely come home with extra cash. Every year I submit a budget proposal to the boss and she usually approves it but there have been years that she has cut spending. Fortunately I'll be able to sleep at home during the Internats this year. Otherwise I'd be missing them this year.

I think all clubs should offer family rates for those who are carrying a family IMPBA card. Mike has been doing this for years in London with great results. Unfortunately few clubs are doing this so I pay $20 each for the 1st 3 boats and 10 for each additional boat.

One thing a club could do is stop handing out crappy trophys at the end of the weekend

and hand out a voucher for your first boat free at the next race in the district .

This would be awarded to the racer who finishes first place only and only valid for the next event .

Club saves money on crappy trophys , racers saves money on entrance fees and racer is intised to come to the next event.

Tim K

Are you saying no trophy? This is already a non professional sport. We are not racing for money. I at least want a shot at bringing home something to put on the wall for my time and efforts.

Interesting enough, everybody that talks to me about my hobby always asks me what I compete for. Most people are suprised to find out that we don't race for money and the prize is a trophy.

As far as things getting pricey, golf, bowling, fishing, RV'ing are all getting high. I went bowling with four other people last week. We bowled TWO games.......$52.00. Fact is, people will spend the money if they ENJOY what they are doing.

$7 a boat. $3 of which goes to the district to pay for the end of the year awards and race awards. The leaves $4. Lets say a 80 boat turn out, which only happen once last year. That puts a $320 pot left over. Put down a $30 for yearly overhead cost of club. $45 for site insurance and $10 for sanction. $50 for site rental use. $150 for buoys cause you guys love to run over them and blow them up. Add that up and we have a wopping $35 for the club. Now Team Toothpick race ended up with 67 entries 2 years ago. Now that puts us in the red. There is nothing wrong with the cost of entries here in NAMBA Dist 8 other than the clubs are not making money.Mike
Defnitely agree with no trophies. From what I remember when our club in D4 IMPBA held our races was the price of trophies being our major expense. The D8 races out here hand out the little plate that would go on the trophy as your prize and they are perfect. They have all the information of the race, your finish place and I have to assume are a fraction of the cost of trophies. Plus they take up much less space. Preregistration out here lets the host club only purchase plates for those classes actually running and for only the appropriate number of places.

Charley

Most of the people who participate in recreational activities, think like that (not want to pay for the activities or so..) and it's for my point of view a non-mature way of thinking!!!

First of all, HOW much money this guys put in their activities for themselves (their own equipments) A LOT, often THOUSAND of dollars for them but when it's time to PLAY they're not able to asume a so low fee entry (maybe less then 1% of there own investment)

When you want to participate in activities with a organization you have to PLAN and accept that there will be a % of money to give to the organization and unfurtunatly it's not for your OWN THINGS!

That's why i think that we don't have to give a BIG answer to these comments on so low fee entries...most of the time it's for another reason that maybe is the real part of the problem...like ...they realized that to follow the winners or the waves they'll have to buy more stuff and more expensive engines...that's often the real reason...but they won't admit it... it's easier to say something else...

In NAMBA District 19 our boat entry cost is $10.00 per boat. $5.00 per boat for a junior member no matter how many classes he enters in and free entry for kids. The club does give a trophy to all kids who particpate.

Some clubs give really nice trophies and some clubs give trophies. Those of us who have raced for a long time appreciate the trophy and being recognized as a winner at the end of the race day. The newer boaters REALLY aprreciate the trophy for their efforts and being recognized as a winner at the end of the race day. I feel that trophies are very important at races no matter what the quality from race to race.

We give out one trophy per five entrants. That could be one trophy for seven entrants or two trophies for eight entrants in a class.

We have found that some clubs make some money and some do not based on trophy expenses. We have found that most all of them dont host races for the money. The decidng factor that really helps a club out at a race are those who host BBQ lunches.

$3.00 of each entry goes to the district for year end awards. The winner of each class gets a nice jacket at the end of the year. Second and third get a nice trophy. Top 10 get an award plate. Top five qualify for a wooden plaque to place all of their plates on. When you fill the plaque as years go by, you automatically get another plaque.

For those who cant make all of the races, they have one last shot at a jacket. Its the Shootout. $20.00 per boat. Top six in the class in points go head to head for four heats. The top six must come out of the top ten in points or the class doesnt run. Second and third get picture trophies. You have a 50% chance of getting something.

There are thirty two events in our district from February until the first week of November. That includes district racing, and NAMBA Time Trials. We take all of July off to have time to participate at the Nationals. Those who cant afford to travel can stay locally at their club races until district races make it to their race site.

Yes................. some of us are nuts.....but at least my wife knows where I am ... ;)

Thanks, Al Waters

Back