The JVD 20 Sport Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jerry Long time since I spoke with you. I thought I would add a little to this thread. I have had a lot of experiences in the Grey areas of the NAMBA rules. I designed a boat around June 2007 and took it to the LA SAW's. This was a legal Nitro boat but in electrics there was so much clamor that I decided to rethink what I wanted to subject my self to. I redesigned it as a rigger life is much better. To me it is either a scale looking boat or a rigger to keep people off my back.

Designed June 2007

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jerry,

So do you have an update on your set up?

I have a few more options in progress.

Any film?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
I was waiting to get a new turn fin from David Preusse and it took like 10 days to get here from Chicago. About the time it arrived, my youngest brother has a serious car accident(hitting a telephone pole) and I've spent the last 12 days dealing with his problems.

I plan to test at our club fun run on the 18th.

JD

Sorry to hear about your brother Jerry.

Try moving the skid fin farther to the right. Put some washers between it and the bracket to move it out. Should help with the hopping in the turns. Looks great!

John

Not sure Fun Run(rain, wind, temps in the high 30s) is a proper name for our club's February model boating endeavor, but running my new boat was fun. The David Preusse turn fin made a tremendous difference!! Compared to the previous fins I'd tried, the new fin is bigger and sets deeper. The boat doesn't hop through the turns and corners like a JAE(maybe cause the sponsons are JAE 21 cloned ^_^ ).

The water conditions were far from idea, but the boat handled the choppy water conditions very well. I did stuff it once while running WOT, hit a wave, and nosed in.

The two reworked X442s Mark Sholund provided worked, but the prop that really got it going was a Monohan backcut 1445. The transom mounted strut, not yet(or maybe never legal in NAMBA) allows running a bigger props than what I've run on my "Mini Mutt." A rule proposal to allow transom mounted struts on NAMBA Nitro Sport Hydroplanes will be voted upon this spring. However, it legal to run a transom mounted strut in Sport 20 in District 8.

We have a race on March 18 that will provide an opportunity to see how well the boat does against other 20 Sport Hydros.

JD

Just when you thought you'd seen the last of this post, Old JD gives it CPR. Well, the boat heat races very nicely. I won the 20 Sport Hydro Class at our club's Mini Daffodil Regatta today. It was more a matter of being able to start and finish than actually beat the other three boats in the class.

Our next race is April 7 and my son, Paul, will be racing my Mini Mutt Sport 20 against my new Sport 20. By then, Rick Sowell will have replaced the strut that was broken in a practice water collision, Jim Mamaril will have his new Whiplash 20 dialed in, and there's a couple of other very competitive Sport 20s that might also particiapate.

JD

Okay JD, where is this 4/7 race being held? Depending on location, I may be able to attend and, hopefully, get some test time in with my sport 20

Okay JD, where is this 4/7 race being held? Depending on location, I may be able to attend and, hopefully, get some test time in with my sport 20
Borst Park in Centralia. Right off I-5. Very nice small pond. A model boating version of NASCAR racing at Bristol. It's the Northwest Sport Hydroplane and Outboard Championships sponsored by RC Hobbies of Lacey.

JD

Nice snow vids its been snowing down here in Or all day ,I to have the hoping problem on my miss a boat have to check in to some other props i guess.

Today we found out the JVD Sport 20 is a good boat, but my 8 year old Bruce Mooring built "Snake 20" driven by my son, Paul, is a better boat. In the two qualifying heats, I got washed out in the first and died lean the the second. However, I did win the connie to get into the final. In the final, I was running second to Paul when the boat hooked out in left turn on the third lap and I cut inside the exit buoy. The boat continued running and was not passed. However, I was a lap down and finished fourth.

The engine in Paul's boat is the O.S. 21 XZ M ABN and the first time it had powered this boat. The engine worked very well.

JD

Don't give up on your design yet. I think the OS in the Snake boat is underrated. Trade it with the Nova and see what happens. Plus, your old boat has had years of tuning. I did notice the new boat was less stable in the turns, but that can be fixed. I still love the JAE style concept.

Lohring Miller

Back